Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #496
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by maar79 View Post
Hi Guys

Any ideas where we can set up tents for tonight close to Istanbul center?
Found this but no tel number no www. Just this from google maps
Ataköy 5. Kısım Ataköy Camping

We have one day tomorrow to see some of the city

Will be greatefull if anyone can confirm if this is existing camping.
It seems it is not active anymore. check out the website below. It has some other suggestions.

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1136/30/
Old 09-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #497
credx2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Honda XR650 or Suzuki DR650

I'm moving to Ankara in a few months and will be taking or buying a bike there. My GS adventure was lost in a fire and although I loved it I'm not inclined to drop that much money to replace it (college tuition bills looming). I'm looking at a XRL650 or a DR650 to do some distance touring. I know the pros and cons of both and can make either one work. Which one I purchase will depend much on the dealership network and service availability in Turkey. Is either of these bikes popular in Turkey and are service and parts readily available? Shipping the bike from the US is free to me and i am not subject to import duties, with that in mind is it more economical to purchase the bike here and ship it or wait until I get there and purchase one there? Anything smaller than a 650cc is too small, and anything over $7000 US defeats my purpose of down-sizing. Any advice is appreciated
Thanks.
credx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #498
621andy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Not sure what your job will be in Ankara; if it's government work it may be different, but as a civvy, if you import a bike you're only allowed to keep it in the country for 6 months before you either have to re-export it,or register it on "MA" plates.

This basically means paying a bond, equal to the value of the bike, having the bike inspected, and getting a shitload of paperwork sorted. The good news is that it has to be done in Ankara, so you're on the doorstep. The bad news is that it could easily cost more than the bike is worth You do get the 'bond' back when you re-export it though.

The other problem is that if you want to leave the country for any reason, the bike/vehicle has to go into a customs warehouse for the time of your absence, which is also gonna cost ya...

There is a website somewhere that explains the rules more explicitly, but I can't remember what it was called; Diplomaticplates .com or something similar??

Anyway, if you're coming in as military or as a diplomat, the rules are slightly different, but the website explains it all.

Mate of mine imported his KTM 950 from the UK, and had a lot of hassle doing it,hence I have some idea how it all works.

It's also different if you retire here...Talk to DickyB on here, as he may have more info

If you're looking for a bike to buy here, then it also gets complicated, as you'll have to register it with your Turkish employer, which means it won't be in your name

Have a look at sahibinden.com for an idea of prices here(They aint cheap!!)...There's a button top right somewhere to open the site in English, although the adverts may well still be in Turkish. This option may still be cheaper than importing your own bike though

Anyway, good luck with whatever route you take....

Thinking about it, there was a guy who posted on here somewhere about this subject. Think he was somnething to do with the bike club in IST. Have a look in the Asian/Turkish section(?)

Just done a quick search...

http://www.blueplatecar.com/

http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/uluslar...sitbelgesi.asp

And finally this is the link that explains it most clearly I think (Turkish Automobile Club)

http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/mavikarne.asp

621andy screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 11:30 PM
621andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #499
621andy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Oh ,and just found the linky for the 'Bond' payments. It's worked out on age and CC of the vehicle;

http://www.turing.org.tr/eng/teminat.pdf
621andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #500
nmtears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Hi, I live in Ankara. Even through rider population increased in the last 5-10 years it is still low compared to Europe or US. I haven't seen any XRL650 around but I have two close friends who ride almost the same bike XR650R. Relatively they are old bikes but any bike mechanic who is familiar with Japanese bikes would give service to them.
I have seen a few DR650 's but I believe you will have to buy the parts from eBay over internet.
Relatively again; KLR650, XT600 and XT660 bikes are more popular here. Haven't seen old bikes for a while.

About importing or buying from here, if you have 7000USD you can buy the bikes you mentioned.
sahibinden.com is the place where almost everyone trade bikes.

http://www.sahibinden.com/en/motorcycles

if you have any questions or anything that I can help don't hesitate to contact me.
volkan at nomoretears org is my e-mail addy, i'd pass my mobile when you move here if you need.

__

Volkan YILDIRIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by credx2 View Post
I'm moving to Ankara in a few months and will be taking or buying a bike there. My GS adventure was lost in a fire and although I loved it I'm not inclined to drop that much money to replace it (college tuition bills looming). I'm looking at a XRL650 or a DR650 to do some distance touring. I know the pros and cons of both and can make either one work. Which one I purchase will depend much on the dealership network and service availability in Turkey. Is either of these bikes popular in Turkey and are service and parts readily available? Shipping the bike from the US is free to me and i am not subject to import duties, with that in mind is it more economical to purchase the bike here and ship it or wait until I get there and purchase one there? Anything smaller than a 650cc is too small, and anything over $7000 US defeats my purpose of down-sizing. Any advice is appreciated
Thanks.
nmtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:31 AM   #501
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
Thanks.
If you are moving to Ankara, asphaltmueller here is the man to meet there in. Contact him for assist.
Better to get a bike here rather than transporting one from US to here. Just let me know what we can to for you. Welcome:)
the venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:28 AM   #502
credx2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks All for the information.

Well I'll eat my $7000 words. A new BMW 800 is arriving at the dealer here very soon and after doing the research, that may be the one I'll purchase. It isn't a 1200 GS Adventure but it isn't a XR650 either. I'll call it a compromise between what I want and what I can afford. The kid may have to go to a community college for a semester. I have the importation issues worked out. Ya never know I may change my mind a few more time before I pull the trigger on a bike. Rest assured though I will have a bike in Turkey and hope to meet some of you on the road. I'll keep in touch here as I progress toward Turkey.
It appears there is a BMW dealership in Ankara. Can anyone confirm that their service department is any good?
Teshekur ederim for all the great input. I sincerely appreciate it.
credx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #503
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Well I'll eat my $7000 words. A new BMW 800 is arriving at the dealer here very soon and after doing the research, that may be the one I'll purchase. It isn't a 1200 GS Adventure but it isn't a XR650 either. I'll call it a compromise between what I want and what I can afford. The kid may have to go to a community college for a semester. I have the importation issues worked out. Ya never know I may change my mind a few more time before I pull the trigger on a bike. Rest assured though I will have a bike in Turkey and hope to meet some of you on the road. I'll keep in touch here as I progress toward Turkey.
It appears there is a BMW dealership in Ankara. Can anyone confirm that their service department is any good?
Teshekur ederim for all the great input. I sincerely appreciate it.
Well, I used their service for 2 years and while Mustafa was there did not have any problems with warranty or maintenance work. After him, I did not have to go there (because the warranty period had already expired) so I am not sure about the current situation. I do not expect that there would be anything unsatisfactory.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 AM   #504
byker_tr
Fenabahce

Oddometer: 280
Long time no see. What are you guys up to?
Old 03-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #505
IvanRUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Help!

Sorry, I am from Russia :)))
I am going to go in September to Turkey.
I ask to prompt, whether the permit to travel on mountain Ararat/Agri is necessary (on bike)?
Ivan
IvanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #506
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanRUS View Post
I ask to prompt, whether the permit to travel on mountain Ararat/Agri is necessary (on bike)?
Ivan
Impossible on your thumper. With a slim 125cc or 250cc you would probably end up in Eli Village at 2000m elevation.
Main biouvac at 3200m for real tuff guys with special Xcross machines. No permit needed.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #507
Sam il Cinghio
dirty noob

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Ivan
Interesting question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the venturer View Post
Impossible on your thumper. With a slim 125cc or 250cc you would probably end up in Eli Village at 2000m elevation.
Main biouvac at 3200m for real tuff guys with special Xcross machines. No permit needed.
... and answer

Ciao to ADVrider Turkish friends.
I'm going to went in Turkey at the end of april, and I have a question too (sincerely, non only one! ): wich is the higher mountain pass In Turkey?

Thanks in advance...
Sam il Cinghio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #508
IvanRUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Interesting question...

... and answer

I'm going to went in Turkey at the end of april, and I have a question too (sincerely, non only one! ): wich is the higher mountain pass In Turkey?

Thanks in advance...
Selam & ciao to the Italian and Turkish friends!
In Rough Guade it is written that the most high-mountainous road in Turkey 2985м to Bahcesaray (100км on the south from lake Van).

Sam il Cinghio, can we shall create a new Tread " the best places of Turkey for ADWr"? :)))
IvanRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #509
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam il Cinghio View Post
Interesting question...

... and answer

Thanks in advance...
Here they are and all reachable;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cilician_Gates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sertavul_Pass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_Gates
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigana_Pass
Old 03-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #510
the venturer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sam il Cinghio, can we shall create a new Tread " the best places of Turkey for ADWr"? :)))
Great idea