User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #751
iLander
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
my baby!

well, here goes: I haven't quite finished all of my farkling but this is what I've got so far. First photo is from Feb. 17, second is from today. I've yet to install my TT luggage racks. I'm waiting for a set of panniers before I mount the racks. The panniers are definitely going to be my favourite farkle: I'm using the film canisters from the 35mm movies that get shipped to my cinema. They're pretty bomb-proof, lockable octagonal cans that will hold a lot of gear...just taking longer than I expected to get them ready for the TT racks. Also waiting for Hella fog lights. Cleaned the bike!!!

Farkles so far, most in the past 3 days:

dakar windscreen
TT fairing crash bars
KTM folding mirrors
OEM engine crash bars - painted black
Acerbis rally pro handguards
clear signal/brake light covers
OEM tank bag
Pivot Pegz
Wunderlich folding shift lever
Wunderlich brake pedal extension
Wunderlich 35mm bar risers
Gerbings wiring harness for coax connection

85 Yamaha RZ500
82 Suzuki Katana GS550
79 Honda MT50

a la recherche du temps perdu
iLander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #752
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
Great looking bikes folks!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #753
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 766
09 Road trip read

Well, my F650GS is ready for the two runs on the schedule for her. In April it is AR for 4 days to see if any bits fall of. Then in July, it is CO trip time. The goal is to get lost for a week and see what can be seen.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #754
Moribach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35
Well, my F650GS is ready for the two runs on the schedule for her. In April it is AR for 4 days to see if any bits fall of. Then in July, it is CO trip time. The goal is to get lost for a week and see what can be seen.

Are those the BestRest Gas tank passenger peg holders?
Old 02-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #755
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Yes, they are the BestRest peg holders. They went on just as the instructions stated. At the time I purchased them, it was not known if they will work on the F650GS; it was guessed at but not confirmed. Well I like to farkle so I got them and it was a breeze to mount them.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #756
Moribach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:

Yes, they are the BestRest peg holders. They went on just as the instructions stated. At the time I purchased them, it was not known if they will work on the F650GS; it was guessed at but not confirmed. Well I like to farkle so I got them and it was a breeze to mount them.

Glad you were a guinea pig for us. Might have to pick one of em up... I cant think of a situation i need it in. However, having another tank ready to go sure makes me think I need to plan more 'remotely'
Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #757
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665

rudolf, what tires are you running?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #758
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

What tires?

I am running Mefo Explorers. No! The front tire is not on backwards - LOL. The front tire looks like it is mounted backwards but the arrow is in the direction of travel.
I called the place I got them from and they stated that a few people noted that the tire looked mounted wrong even thought the arrow is right direction. The Mefos work GREAT in dirt, gravel and on the road. I have not had a chance to throw sand and rain at them yet; given that I am in TX it is only a matter of days until that is remedied. All around, they are the best tires I have yet to use; I came of Tourances and they where great on the road but did not give you the warm fuzzies off road.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #759
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,715
Mefoz...

Quote:
I am running Mefo Explorers. No! The front tire is not on backwards - LOL. The front tire looks like it is mounted backwards but the arrow is in the direction of travel.
I called the place I got them from and they stated that a few people noted that the tire looked mounted wrong even thought the arrow is right direction. The Mefos work GREAT in dirt, gravel and on the road. I have not had a chance to throw sand and rain at them yet; given that I am in TX it is only a matter of days until that is remedied. All around, they are the best tires I have yet to use; I came of Tourances and they where great on the road but did not give you the warm fuzzies off road.

I'm now on my third Mefo front and sixth or seventh rear. Great do-it-all tires!

My first front Mefo I dutifully mounted as indicated by the direction arrow. It lasted about 6K miles and was terribly cupped - to the point of being dangerous - at that mileage.

The second front I mounted opposite the direction arrow. After 16K miles and two rears it still had tread left and while it had some cupping was not nearly as bad as the first at 6K miles. I can detect no fall-off in handling - dry or wet pavement or gravel - by reversing the direction.

My third (current) Mefo front is also on backwards and has over 13K miles and is holding up well. It has outlasted so far about 1.5 rear tires.

The next one will go on the same way as well.

My 2
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:04 AM   #760
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Extra fuel

"Glad you were a guinea pig for us. Might have to pick one of em up... I cant think of a situation i need it in. However, having another tank ready to go sure makes me think I need to plan more 'remotely'"

I am running one tooth less on the counter sprocket (which works great) and my MPG has dropped a bit; about 5MPG. With this summers trips coming up I was not going to get caught between "what is over there?" and "where is the next fuel pump". I am sure that the area we will be riding in will have plenty of places to fuel up but the idea is to plan for the unknown then live with the known.

For short excusions riding single track I will take them off since they could get in the way. Once back on the fire roads they will go back on. Your own little portable gas station.

At Wally World they sell a 2gal fuel container that fits in the same opening just a bit taller. Whith the brackets low (can be set high) the taller container would work just as good as the shorter 1gal and give the user 4gal of spare fuel.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #761
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

"I'm now on my third Mefo front and sixth or seventh rear. Great do-it-all tires!

My first front Mefo I dutifully mounted as indicated by the direction arrow. It lasted about 6K miles and was terribly cupped - to the point of being dangerous - at that mileage."

Since this is my first set of Mefos I did not know better than to mount them "the factory" way. I do not have that many miles on them so I will just pull the front one and mount it backwards - now that is a first; mount a tire backwards on purpose - done it a few times to practice mounting tires - LOL

Old 02-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #762
Dirty POG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Question

Where can I get the opaque black windscreen/rally fairing that is on so many of the Dakar models?
Dirty POG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #763
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,715
This one is a BMW part...

...I got from Hammersley BMW (part numbers are one different for the black and clear screens - and they are different after 2004 or 2005 with four screws instead of the earlier three).
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 AM   #764
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,665
Quote:

Damn, I don't think I can get Mefos in Japan but they sound exactly like what I need. The Anakees I'm running are great for commuting but not much good offroad to put it politely
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #765
HeadinSouth
vroom!

Oddometer: 91
fritzmovies,

Any problems fitting the Acerbis handguards. I was thinking of the same handguards but it looks like the front brake line will be in the way. Any tricks, or do they just go on?

Looks good by the way.
HeadinSouth is offline   Reply With Quote