ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #871
pyrate
Walking the plank
 
pyrate's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Kidding aside

Mine has begun doing this aswell. I'm simply thinking it's just too much coolant in there.

Here's my reasoning

Main system
- It wasn't really hot when I breathed the system last.

Expansion tank
- Why is there a min - max level on it ? The fluid only flows one way - out of the main system. I can't remember exatly, but I probably left the level closer to max than min. When I ride and the engine is getting properly warmed up the coolant expands and overflows to the expansion tank. Because it's already close to full it leaks out of the expansion tank lid. (I saw where it was coming from yesterday).

My question is simply:
Can I just empty out the expansion tank completely ? I can't see how it would run back into the system when the only hose is at the top


.
Not really sure. I had ridden the bike out into the desert right after I bought it and the air temp was closer to 100 deg F then and no coolent leaking out. Granted, the desert was 10' elevation vs 9900' elevation this past weekend. I did fill the expansion tank to the mid range when checking everything out to try and average the options of overflow vs too little. Perhaps it was just too much. Ironic that the bike comes stock w/ side stand where the issue was very noticeable but put it on the center stand (optional equipment) and no issue - or perhaps I had boiled all the excess out by then! I wasn't exactly easy on it riding up and down the mountains. It was so awesome to ride a injected bike where there was no loss of power that I simply couldn't let off the throttle!

As to emptying the expansion tank because the hose is at the top - not positive but that is the way it is on my truck and it always seems to pull the fluid out of the tank by "vacuum" when it needs it so I think I will continue to keep some fluid in there.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out why the difficulty w/ shifting.
__________________
"but why is all the rum gone?"


pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #872
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrate
As to emptying the expansion tank because the hose is at the top - not positive but that is the way it is on my truck and it always seems to pull the fluid out of the tank by "vacuum" when it needs it so I think I will continue to keep some fluid in there.

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out why the difficulty w/ shifting.
Umm.... didn't really and still don't know about the vacuum, but I'll drain it to between the marks. I'm still clinging to my theory of the expanding fluid

If memory serves me correct I sometimes had some issues with changing to and from 2nd and 3rd when the bike was new-ish, but this became better with time. I've never had it be so bad I thought something was wrong though.

Good luck !
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #873
pyrate
Walking the plank
 
pyrate's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Umm.... didn't really and still don't know about the vacuum, but I'll drain it to between the marks. I'm still clinging to my theory of the expanding fluid

If memory serves me correct I sometimes had some issues with changing to and from 2nd and 3rd when the bike was new-ish, but this became better with time. I've never had it be so bad I thought something was wrong though.

Good luck !
Hmmm...well, the bike is new to me but it has 33,000 miles on it so shouldn't be an issue of new-ish. Only way I could get it from 2nd to 3rd was to try and get the RPMs just right.

Thanks for the info...
__________________
"but why is all the rum gone?"


pyrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:53 PM   #874
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Umm.... didn't really and still don't know about the vacuum, but I'll drain it to between the marks. I'm still clinging to my theory of the expanding fluid
Guys, the coolant expands when it gets hot, so it needs to be at the min. level when cold. It's a semi-closed system with the radiator pressure cap and a one-way low pressure nipple as the cap of the expansion tank. Your engine gets hot and a little flows into the expansion tank and when the coolant cools it contracts creating the vacuum that sucks it right back into the radiator.

Is this what you're pondering?
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #875
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
Guys, the coolant expands when it gets hot, so it needs to be at the min. level when cold. It's a semi-closed system with the radiator pressure cap and a one-way low pressure nipple as the cap of the expansion tank. Your engine gets hot and a little flows into the expansion tank and when the coolant cools it contracts creating the vacuum that sucks it right back into the radiator.

Is this what you're pondering?
I'm thinking liar, liar pants on fire....

How can the vacuum suck the coolant back up and in ? Why doesn't it suck back air instead ? The hose is above the coolant level
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #876
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 313
Gravel, Helmet is sort of right. The expansion tank is there to take up the extra volume and replace it when things cool down. There are two valves in the radiator cap.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:41 PM   #877
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
I'm thinking liar, liar pants on fire....

How can the vacuum suck the coolant back up and in ? Why doesn't it suck back air instead ? The hose is above the coolant level
The top hose is the overflow from the radiator. It sucks it back through the hose at the bottom.
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:30 PM   #878
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
The top hose is the overflow from the radiator. It sucks it back through the hose at the bottom.
He's 101% correct!
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #879
etmoto
Adventurer
 
etmoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Oddometer: 480
i think that is the purpose of the top hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
The top hose is the overflow from the radiator. It sucks it back through the hose at the bottom.
etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 AM   #880
CAVOK
Adventurer
 
CAVOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Oddometer: 44
Hi, y'all
Just got my 650GS '03 last two weeks with all luggages.

I really love the bike, but have been doing only in the city of Bangkok, can't wait to go out for a real adventure.

I have one question to all 650GS riders :

The front upper mud guard (just don't know what to call it ?, that upper lip), Can I get a black extention plastic at the front end ? To be looked just like the Dakar version.

Required any modification ? Or just put the bolts on ?

Where can I buy those kinds of fairing plastic part ?
__________________
"Everyone dies, but not everyone LIVES"

"Life is short, LIVE IT !"
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 AM   #881
Nico75
Custom User Title
 
Nico75's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK

The front upper mud guard (just don't know what to call it ?, that upper lip), Can I get a black extention plastic at the front end ? To be looked just like the Dakar version.

Required any modification ? Or just put the bolts on ?

Where can I buy those kinds of fairing plastic part ?
All you want to know is here:
http://faq.f650.com/GSFAQs/FrontFenderModsGS.htm
__________________
** Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol **
Present:
2010 BMW F800GS
Past: 1979 Suzuki GS550E - 1982 Honda CB500FII - 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS700 - 1995 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 - 2001 BMW F650 GS - 2005 BMW R1200GS
Nico75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:12 AM   #882
CAVOK
Adventurer
 
CAVOK's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Oddometer: 44
Hi Kinglurker,
Wow ! Checked it out already.
Great ! That explains everything.

Thanks a lot
__________________
"Everyone dies, but not everyone LIVES"

"Life is short, LIVE IT !"
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #883
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
The top hose is the overflow from the radiator. It sucks it back through the hose at the bottom.
Wtf ?
Are we talking about the same thing ?
My expansion tank only has one hose and it's on the top.

SORRY !
(Had to go outside and check)

My bad, there's only one hose and it's on the bottom of the expansion tank. For some reason I've always just thought it was at the top and thus my insane reasoning. It's all me, I apologize ! Please return to your regular programming - there's nothing to see here.

.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !

Gravel Seeker screwed with this post 06-16-2009 at 11:33 AM
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #884
jdaniele
Studly Adventurer
 
jdaniele's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Now residing in Queens
Oddometer: 948
Keep it alive
__________________
JD (K2ADV)

"These pretzels are makin me thirsty"

I can't seem to remember why I don't drink anymore.
jdaniele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #885
Moribach
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 60


__________________
2007 F650GS Dakar
Moribach is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014