ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
SST OP
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
NESBA Track Day Monday March 13 at VIR

I just signed up for the Intro Class (read "free") at the NESBA track day at VIR on Monday March 13. The other days were already full. I guess there are WERA races all weekend and NESBA track days, too.

Anyone else signed up for any of the days? Anyone on an "Adventure" bike? I'll be on my KTM 950 trying to stay upright on my old TKC 80s. Should be fun!
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 AM   #2
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,255
Gee Bob, thanks for telling yer ol' buddy about it...
Maybe we can rip the rest of the bodywork off of the R6 crasher and slap a radiator on it before then - and it has new tires.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
SST OP
Lost again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldnoGPS
Gee Bob, thanks for telling yer ol' buddy about it...
Maybe we can rip the rest of the bodywork off of the R6 crasher and slap a radiator on it before then - and it has new tires.
Let's go Ted. Will you be able to leave your patients for that long, though?
I will probably ride down but have my friend Jeff take my leathers and cooler, EZ-Up, etc.... He could take the R6 too!!

My Dad is signed up and riding up from Birmingham. Sign-up and let's do a few laps.

BTW- got your VM yesterday. Will plan to call you later.
Rallymoto #165
Old 02-08-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

My patients just informed me that they both plan to be better by then so I can go. I could meet your dad too. Lisa got turned loose to go back to work part time this morning.
Derek said I could take the R6. Naked R6 track bike? He found a radiator somewhere...
I'd rather ride the GS. R6 feels like a powerful minibike (and I have visions of flipping it over coming out of Oaktree under throttle).
North course, South course or whole track? If it's the whole course I'll see if I can break my 2:12.9! (I don't think the GS will pull 145 though).
Old 02-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
My patients just informed me that they both plan to be better by then so I can go. I could meet your dad too. Lisa got turned loose to go back to work part time this morning.
Derek said I could take the R6. Naked R6 track bike? He found a radiator somewhere...
I'd rather ride the GS. R6 feels like a powerful minibike (and I have visions of flipping it over coming out of Oaktree under throttle).
North course, South course or whole track? If it's the whole course I'll see if I can break my 2:12.9! (I don't think the GS will pull 145 though).
I'd be interested in running that R6 around the track,,,,,,
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #6
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Laugh

Dave,
I just signed up to take the GS, not sure about my 2-piece Tourmaster though. NESBA sez it needs to zip together and it doesn't.
My son said "well, if Dave can find a radiator... (and a left footpeg mount, shifter, front master cylinder reservoir, fabricate something to mount the instrument pod, etc.)".
Ted
Old 02-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #7
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,627
Hmmmmmmmmmm GS on a track day at VIR March 13th. That would be the day after I got back from Daytona...hmmm

Bob, go ahead and sign up for the whole day. After 2 20 minute sessions you will be wanting to stay for the whole day.

DAMHIK!

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Dave,
I just signed up to take the GS, not sure about my 2-piece Tourmaster though. NESBA sez it needs to zip together and it doesn't.
My son said "well, if Dave can find a radiator... (and a left footpeg mount, shifter, front master cylinder reservoir, fabricate something to mount the instrument pod, etc.)".
Ted
We don't need no stinkin' instrument pods
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
SST OP
Lost again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino
Hmmmmmmmmmm GS on a track day at VIR March 13th. That would be the day after I got back from Daytona...hmmm

Bob, go ahead and sign up for the whole day. After 2 20 minute sessions you will be wanting to stay for the whole day.

DAMHIK!

Let's do it Steve! I know you want to do it. Just think after daytona and watching all of that racing you are gonna want to get out on the track.

I will want more track time. My brain says YES but my wallet says NO.

Now if Ted brings the R6....
Rallymoto #165
Old 02-08-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
SST OP
Lost again...

Quote:
That's great news Ted. I think on Monday they are running the North Course.

Get Lisa to sew a zipper on your jacket and pants. Or if you gain a lot of weight between now and then you can wear my BMW zip together suit. You can even have your choice of leather or textile.

Should be fun.
Rallymoto #165
Old 02-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,627
Yeah my wallet says no too...

Gonna cost me $175. Can't swing that right now...

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #12
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

North course it is! I'll plan to start at the back and keep my eyes open - way open. Should be a learning experience for sure. Transition to off-camber as you go through turn 1 will be a lot different on a bike, transition crown between 4/5 might require a little finesse, esses will be more-or-less a straight line. Downhill into Hogpen should be fun seeing how many folks turn in too early, nearly everyone does. If you turn in very late you go over the vertical transition straighter and end up more on rider's left, much better setup for the right hander and then onto the front straight. Yeehaaa.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 929
The pavement condition at turn one is more of an issue than the camber.
Turn 4/5 transition is just about a straight line after a quick turn in
and the camber there is not an issue at all.

Turn in at 4:

Rolling on steady and firmly out of 5 is wheelie territory and the trick is then avoiding the suspension
compression problems if you hit turn 7 wrong. That really screws up the next two turns.

Turn 5:

Turn 10:

Late breaking and turn in at 14 is one of the hardest to hit right.
Really a good place to grind pegs on an ADV bike.
Getting the line right from 14 to 16 is a blast as OldnpGPS suggests.

VIR is great fun and very addictive. Have fun and watch out for turn three!

dave
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 04:43 AM   #14
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

My last race was in August '01, pavement condition in 1 wasn't an issue. Camber change (in an open wheel car with balls) is - I've come out of 1 many times with the ass end hung out because of it. It will certainly be different on a bike. As you suggest, so will the transition out of 4. I guess you will really just ride straight across it to set up. Again, different in a car. Not so much the camber, just upsets the chassis - which you fix with hammering the throttle to settle it just before turn-in.
I've never done just the North course or just the South Course, only the whole track. Uphill after the bridge will be all new to me.
VStrom must have been a blast, probably should have kept mine.
Ted
Old 02-09-2006, 05:02 AM   #15
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 929
It was strange showing up at VIR with a track prepped V-Strom. Got a lot of double takes - especially after I started passing sport bikes.

During last summer's AMA Superbike races I had an interesting discussion with someone who runs sports cars on the track. To him the lines the bikes were taking made no sense and were all wrong. As you know the corner approach is completely different on a bike.

Just running the North course by itself reveals how intimately the turns are linked to each other. From one through sixteen it is pretty easy to get one corner wrong and disrupt the flow for the rest of the lap.

Getting the right line through 2 and 3 was the most difficult section for me. The sight lines are very deceptive there.

dave
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote