Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Oddometer: 800
How to wire into '03 LC4 640 accessory outlets?

HELLP!!! I was all excited to get some new electronics goodies only to find out that my male/female SAE plug does not match the Female/Female reciever plugs under the dash of the LC4. Is there somewhere (local automotive or KTM) I can get a male/male plug that matches the LC4 receptical? (not sure what they are called)
I wanna go via these recepticals to clean up the wire mess on my dash and have my accessories "keyed" to the ignition switch.
Thanks

BlitzBike screwed with this post 02-10-2006 at 06:13 AM
BlitzBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
electric connectors

I found the exact match for my 640 at an electronics part store here in town. They brand named Molex and distributed by GC/Waldom.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado
I found the exact match for my 640 at an electronics part store here in town. They brand named Molex and distributed by GC/Waldom.
I see their website...you wouldn't happen to have a part number would you??
Old 02-10-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
2 thru 12 pin Molex connectors, male and female are available at Radio Shack... really.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:05 AM   #5
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
2 thru 12 pin Molex connectors, male and female are available at Radio Shack... really.
Cool... I wish I had waited for a reply as I went ahead and fabed up my own using two single pin automotives taped together to make dual pin.
Kind of hinky but it works. I'll go to radio shack now so I can enjoy the real thing!
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzBike
Cool... I wish I had waited for a reply as I went ahead and fabed up my own using two single pin automotives taped together to make dual pin.
Kind of hinky but it works. I'll go to radio shack now so I can enjoy the real thing!
Replace them with Deutsch connectors if you want to get all waterproof and stuff.

I know... why did he have to show me those. Bastard!

C
Old 02-10-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Replace them with Deutsch connectors if you want to get all waterproof and stuff.

I know... why did he have to show me those. Bastard!

C
Boy thats even sweeter if it weren't for the fact the factory left zero slack in the lines to work with making replacement that much harder.
Damn why'd you show me those!! Now I'm really gonna work!
What guage is the stock KTM wire????
Old 02-10-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Damn why'd you show me those!! Now I'm really gonna work!
God told me too... said you needed a challenge in life.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #9
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Quote:
What guage is the stock KTM wire????
Everyone complains that is is merely "adequate"; some even aledge it is under-gauge... so whatevery you do, if you are replacing it, upgrade.

Now who is the fella, beaver somethin'...
Ah yeah! Eastern Beaver!!! He sells nice stuff - perhaps you can get some good stuff from him if you can't source good components.

No this is not a joke, just poor business name choice I guess. I don't think electric components when I read eastern beaver... I think of upstate NY girls in tight sweaters and...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
BlitzBike OP
LC4 Pilot

I just wanna know what guage the stock wire is so I get the appropriate plug guage. Never mind the upstate NY girls---been there, done that, and,
found it to be the toughest crowd going---look elsewhere for happy hunting.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
Can't recall where the post was, but one user claimed an improvement in lighting performance by upgrading the stock headlight wiring... not out of the realm of possibility, I suppose.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #12
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
I've got a '99 and want to wire up my GPS. I was thining of installing a socket in the dash, but I'm not positive that's the route I want to take or not. Regardless, I'm inquiring about the two connectors under the dash. They're swiched power, but the voltage is odd...something like 10.6 Vdc (12.8 measured at the battery). What's up with that? Anyone know if the inline voltage converter TT cables available for my GPS step that voltage down to 3V without any problems?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 PM   #13
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomp
I've got a '99 and want to wire up my GPS. I was thining of installing a socket in the dash, but I'm not positive that's the route I want to take or not. Regardless, I'm inquiring about the two connectors under the dash. They're swiched power, but the voltage is odd...something like 10.6 Vdc (12.8 measured at the battery). What's up with that? Anyone know if the inline voltage converter TT cables available for my GPS step that voltage down to 3V without any problems?
Should be no problem at all. The most common design for these voltage converters works on anything from 6 to 44 volts. Just make sure you get the polarity right. If you're worried about it, measure the output voltage of the converter before you hook up the GPS.

The reason you're measureing 10.6V on the socket is because the stock wiring is junk. I saw a little less than 10V on my headlight bulb before I upgraded the wiring. Others have seen similar numbers. If you turn off/unplug your headlights, the voltage on the connector should go up considerably.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #14
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
I just got done reworking the wiring on my 03 640 Adventure for my accessories. Ran 12ga. wire directly off the battery, positive and negative (fused the pos.), ran it up under the dash to a Centech AP1 fuse box then ran my grips, vest, GPS and roadbook off of that. Really cleaned things up.

One thing I'm going to do that I didn't think of until I was done (duh) is install a master switch just before the AP1 to ensure I don't forget to turn something off and run the battery down. Easier to remember to hit one switch instead of four at the end of the day, plus it'll allow my grips and vest controllers to stay at preset levels.
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 PM   #15
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
Did you install a socket to power your GPS or some other connector? If I'd put a socket in, it would be in the dash...nice and close to the GPS. The issue is that the cables I can buy with the socket attached are 3 or 4 feet long. Maybe I should just buy a power cable sans socket and have some other easy to access connector? Not that the power wire would be coming out all that often anyway, but ya never know.

Hey, Ken. Are you still looking for soft pannier racks for you 640? I've gone hard bags and can move my soft bags/racks out of my garage.