User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
scorch OP
Poser

Oddometer: 3,403
Best used moped/scooter/motorcycle for under 1000$

A friend of mine wants to get in the bike world. He is cheap, doesnt want to spend more than 1000$. I want to convince him motorcycles are the way to go, so I suggested looking for a KE100 on ebay. I know you can get those for around 1000$.

What other bikes can I suggest to him?

Honda elites, klr250 etc..
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
RiverRat280
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
I've found GS500's under $1k but rare otherwise CB750's and 900's can be found cheap. Scary thing is scooters don't seem to lose much value so most that sell new for $1900 are still $1500 years later. If he's just looking for cheap transport then the chinease scoots would be the way to go. You can get 150cc scoot that'll go over 50mph and get 70mpg for just a bit over $1k brand new, check ebay sunflower was the name of one of them I think.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who niether enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat"

-Theodore Roosevelt
RiverRat280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
ldbandit76
Life is good.

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
A friend of mine wants to get in the bike world. He is cheap, doesnt want to spend more than 1000$.

What other bikes can I suggest to him?
A high-miles but well-kept DR350SE. Like mine.

There's a good chance I'll be selling it this spring, and $1000 sounds about right...

Otherwise, get your wrenches out. Rideable bikes with salvage titles and a little bit of damage can be a good deal.

Dave
ldbandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
For a grand, shop for something that's been maintained and ridden regularly. It's just like cars. It doesn't matter what Consumer Reports says about a certain model's reliability, etc., if it's been beaten on or poorly maintained.

If he buys something that looks like a good deal, it can quickly double in price if he has to replace battery, tires, chain; clean the carbs, replace a rusted exhaust pipe, replace clapped out shocks and dried out seals.........

I bought an old 750K once for $500. It ran, and was rideable, but I wouldn't have taken it out of town. Would have cost more than it was worth to make it roadworthy, so I sold it to a kid that wanted it for a project.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
I bought my '91 GS500 with 9,000 miles or so on it for $750. Good shape except for a buttugly dent in the tank. It's one of my all-time faves for fun, cheap transportation that'll do damn near anything (tour, commute, sport) including stupid off-road tricks. Around here if you shop around you can get them in the $1000-$1200 range in nice shape.

If you can find an old Honda 450 Nighthawk, that's a nice commuter and they're sometimes available in that price range. Same for the Ascot FT500, though it tends to have starter solenoid issues...as any FT owner can tell you. The VT500 Ascot (V twin) tends to go for a bit more but if you find one in that price range in decent shape, snap it up...it's a neat little sleeper. There are a bunch of interesting 80's era bikes available, from the Yamaha Radian to the Nighthawk 650, that are reliable and have decent brakes.

As for Chinese scoots, look into Vento. Of all the Chinese clone imports, I'd say they've got the best online support and parts availability. If you move in that direction, PM me and I"ll send you gobs of information on 'em.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,280
A friend of mine just picked up 2 Honda CB125's for $450. both need a little work but are not far from being ridden....they are small but get good gas mileage and are easy to ride. They are his first bikes and he will be commuting on them. Other small bikes include honda CT90's and 110's which can be had for $600 - $1000 for a nice example.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:35 AM   #7
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,437
Good chance if you trolled the flea market someone would have something that would work.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
donsolo
MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer: 156
I paid exactly 1k for the Riva

Fantastic find. It's in great shape but aparently not the cheapest ever.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #9
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,542
I bought a 1982 yamaha Seca 400(spineback, looks like the bigger secas) for $400 bucks. Idled badly, but didn't rev. Cleaned the carbs out and put water in the battery. Runs pretty well, smells like it is burning some oil, but no oil consumption, small oil leak.

All in all I have put about 3,000 miles on it with no major problems.

I also bought a 1981 CB750 Custom for $500, banged up a little, but I knew the owner. It does burn oil, but I am doing some experiments with engines so the motor isn't so important.

Cheap biking is fine if you don't mind wrenching a little bit. I have the luxury of owning 4 bikes(although they are all kinds crappy), so if any are down for maintenance I can ride the others.

My credo is currently to never pay more than $3,000 for a bike, haven't broken it yet.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
200cc Chinese Bikes

I have a couple 2004 200cc Chinese bikes that are excellent.

My son learned on a 200cc and is now on a 650cc.

Electric start, disk brakes, turn signals and 100% totally dependable.

New for $1400.00 come pick one up for $850.

http://www.kpxmotors.com/z200.html
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
RLK

Oddometer: 6,381
I paid $800 for my Honda 250.

Buying it was like pulling teeth though. The ad was placed by the ex-boyfriend of its owner, without her knoledge. Her bike was at his house so buying it reqired me to convince her to meet me at his house to sign the title. She didn't know her bike was for sale and they were not on speaking terms when the ad was placed.

I was left in the garage to look the bike over while the former couple argued LOUDLY in the kitchen about wether the bike was for sale or not, and tons of other things.

Sad to witness, but I got a good bike cheap!

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by element
I have a couple 2004 200cc Chinese bikes that are excellent.

My son learned on a 200cc and is now on a 650cc.

Electric start, disk brakes, turn signals and 100% totally dependable.

New for $1400.00 come pick one up for $850.

http://www.kpxmotors.com/z200.html
Hey! I've been looking for someone who's had one of the clone bikes for a while!

Any thoughts on how they'd do long-term? Parts availability? I've been THIS close to buying one, but couldn't find anyone who could talk about them relative to mainstream bikes.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
familyman
I have bad ideas

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Hey! I've been looking for someone who's had one of the clone bikes for a while!

Any thoughts on how they'd do long-term? Parts availability? I've been THIS close to buying one, but couldn't find anyone who could talk about them relative to mainstream bikes.
Thumpertalk has this 34 page thread on them that's really imformative.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=279910
familyman is offline   Reply With Quote