User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Installing XM Radio and DUal Star Mirrors on a 640

What is a luxury to some is a necessity to others.

I have a pretty severe case of tinnitus, and it's worse in my right ear than my left...which makes it even more disorienting. Riding with foam earplugs for a full day gets pretty uncomfortable....on mutiple day or week trips it can be a show stopper.

Aside from a variety of holistic like band aids...there really is no cure for tinnitus. The only thing you can do is "mask" the ringing with some other noise...xmradio works great.

Soap Box moment.
All you young bucks who still feel like your body is invincible...it's not....protect your hearing at all times...cause living with a constant ringing in your ears is no fun. I've been a carpenter/woodworker for 25 years and I was always the geek on the jobsite/shop wearing hearing protection. I also spent alot of time operating tractors and track loaders while wearing hearing protection. I guess it wasn't enough though...cause my ears still suffered damage. Somebody told me that wearing hearing protection on tracked machines, wasn't enough to protect your ears, because the vibration those machines put out just gets transmitted through your bones and into your ear drum. All the people now adays with Ipods glued to their ears are in for a little surprise down the road someday.
Soap Box moment over.

The Install.

I've had the Roady2 on my GS for the past few years and I've been long overdue in getting it setup on my 640. The Roady only takes 6 volts...so you need a tranformer to step down the voltage. I choose to use the one that cycle-gadgets sells because it's really small and space on the 640 is limited.

The transformer is not waterproof so I mounted it up under the dash on a little shelf I made out of aluminum. I used some industrial grade double sided tape to secure the transformer to the shelf.

You need to connect the transformer to a switched power source, because turning off the Roady2 does not turn off the transformer and will continue to draw on your battery.

I mounted the Roady2 on the top of a set of Emig Bar Risers with the Emig GPS plate. This is the under the bar mount Steering Stabilizer setup. I'm not sure if I'll ever get a stabilzer, but if I choose to...I'm good to go.

I made a mounting plate to fit on top of the Emig GPS mounting plate that would hold the Roady2 and it's mini antenna. The mini antenna has a strong magnet for attachment, so my plate is out of 22 gauge steel. I painted the plate black, after masking off the areas where I would be attaching some Dual Lock to hold the Roady2.

I screwed my mounting plate down to the Emig plate with some button head bolts. The Dual Lock is so thick that is allows the Roady2 to bridge over the bolt heads.

I fitted the Dual Lock together, pulled off the backing and pressed the Roady2 into place.

When it rains, I have a rain cover to put over it. I briefly thought about installing the Roady2 in a Mini Pelican Case, but the exterior dimensions of the case were so big that it would of interferred with the cables and hydraulic lines. The rain cover has worked fine on my GS, and the Roady has actually gotten pretty wet a few times without any ill effects.

I've finished my cockpit mods on the 640...it's on to the carb mods next...

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.

sherpa screwed with this post 02-15-2006 at 01:13 PM
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Looks good sherpa. So you saw ricardo's pelican case mod for his music (can't remember if it was satellite radio or a Ipod). It was a pretty small case but I guess you already check into it.

Sorry to hear about your tinnitus, that sucks. Especially when you tried to protect yourself. I am glad the treatment for it is so plesant!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
PASSMORE
Just the last name...

Oddometer: 4,258
How about those mirrors Sherpa?

Nice install BTW
Old 02-15-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
sherpa OP
...Robert

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PASSMORE
How about those mirrors Sherpa?

Here you go

05 640 Adventure
08 KTM 250 XCFW

I'd trade all my motorcycles for one Flying Dragon.
sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote