ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
iDave OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Talking .

iDave screwed with this post 01-28-2007 at 08:22 PM
iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
cdhall
Krishl

Oddometer: 122
Sure, you're gnarly, we all know that, but you're pretty darn antisocial too. You need to check with all the DL650s in the area to see if the rest of us are up for some adventure. Sure looks like you had a blast while some of use were working. Thanks for the pics and report.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,129

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #4
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Now you know.

In the mid-1800's, the Dalhe family used the open grassy areas which they called 'Sods' for grazing sheep. Their German name became the present name "Dolly" of the "Dolly Sods." Grazing continued on the Sods until the late 1970's.

And be carefull what you poke while you are up there:

During World War II, Black Bird Knob and Cabin Mountain were used as artillery targets by the U.S. Army. Munitions from those exercises can still be found in some areas. If one is found, DO NOT TOUCH IT. Report it to the District Ranger in Petersburg.

Old mortar shells from military exercises during World War II are occasionally found in the Wilderness and Scenic Area. They should be considered extremely dangerous. If one is found, DO NOT TOUCH. They are unstable and may explode. Report it to the District Ranger in Petersburg.

Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

ps A real adventure rider would have swam across the creek to see if there was anything in the cave. Personally I would have just taken the picture like you did but I'm just saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:27 AM   #5
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,279
Talking

Thanks for the report, glad to see you out and about. Looks like another good area to explore soon.
WeeStrom's start getting heavy all of a sudden when sideways near steep dropoffs. Didn't the dealer tell you that when you bought that thing?
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 938
Yesterday was a good day for riding.
Nice report & pix iDave! That is a great area for riding. Smokehole rocks.

Quote:
originally posted by iDave
cause that bitch is in every one of these 69 photos
I keep looking for the Strom in the picture but can't find it. Hints??

fixt:
Name:  iWaldo.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  89.7 KB

Dave

strommin screwed with this post 02-18-2006 at 07:58 AM
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:53 PM   #7
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
You are one tough and studly dude!
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
RRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Nice write up Dave. I'm glad someone's found time to ride lately.
2004 XR650L
www.damnriders.org
RRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:46 PM   #9
Seb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
I can't believe how freakin comfortable that seat looks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,034
[quote=iDave]

and I remember taking a tour of this building when I was 15 or 16,,,,,
If I remember correctly, it's an old church building

Dave,

Great write-up. You're riding in my old back yard -- literally!

It's been over 25 years since I've been through Smoke Hole, except to drive my grandmother through a few weeks before she died back in 1992.

As far as this building, if it's what I think it is (and I may be wrong), it has an interesting history. The following notes are taken from the book "A Place Called Smoke Hole" by D. Bardon Shreve.

The first pastor in Smoke Hole was John Shreve, a Methodist preacher who never built a church building -- they just met under a large maple tree. Methodists contimued meeting in the open and in peoples' homes for the next 60-70 years.

1889 - Jacob and Amy Kimble sold a tract of land to the Methodists, and a log church was built. The Methodists flourished in this area and the church was very strong. One interesting note is that this church baptised by immersion in the South Branch Potomac River (which ran by the church) rather than the traditional sprinkling method.

Late 1920s - The church had a big split, possibly over the pastor's salary.

1932 - The church replaced it's board of trustees and immediately sold the property to the Episcopals for $100.00. The Methodist church (national church leaders) decided to abandon the church, so it died a sudden death.

The Episcopal church sent a missionary to build up the following. He had some volunteers -- 5 well-dressed men who were camping along the river who drove nice cars and always had plenty of money and whiskey. Hmmm.... When the mission house and other buildings were completed, the 5 men moved on. No questions asked.

1937 - Attendance grew at the church until a new preacher arrived. (The former preacher's wife was expecting a baby and did not want it born in a place called "Smoke Hole".) The new preacher was not liked and attendance dropped.

1949 - The Great Flood of '49 damaged the buildings and the Episcopal Church decided not to rebuild. The property was sold to some local businessmen who donated it to the South Fork Rotary Club, who maintain it as a historic site.

Whew - sorry for the long story, but I thought I'd let you know some of the history of the area. Of course, you know moonshine would be a part of any Smoke Hole story, right?

Again - great write-up. I'm planning another ride there this summer. My parents still live on my grandparents' old farm just south of Petersburg on Rt 220. I rode out from Illinois last year to celebrate my retirement from 20 years in the Air Force. This year, I have a V-Strom 1000, so I'll be exploring a lot more of the backroads than I did with my Honda Nighthawk 750. Maybe I'll see you on one of the backroads. I see there are several other West Virginia Strommers on this forum too.

Ride safe and God bless!

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote