Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
DirtyLarry OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Reasons not to buy a Vstrom 1000 and how much to pay

Hi all,

I've been looking hard at both the Vstom and the Tiger, favoring the 'strom for a number of reasons: price, dealer location, and all the positive press on this site.

But what am I missing? Are there things about the Vstrom that would keep you from buying one?

I remember reading somewhere that the strom's power output is somewhat weak, lessening the power accessories available. Any thoughts on this?

I'm not looking to do any hard core offroading. Just some weekend 1up touring.

That said....

How much should I pay? The local dealers are quoting 8500 out the door for a new '05. Is this a good price? How much better can I do?

thanks for the info.

Larry

DirtyLarry screwed with this post 02-17-2006 at 11:42 PM Reason: can't spell
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
hogmolly
Dude

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
But what am I missing? Are there things about the Vstrom that would keep you from buying one?

Larry
My response is purely a personal matter but I find the Storms butt ugly. The faux fairing between the tank and instrument cowl looks like an afterthought. I've never heard one bad thing about the bike and rode beside a 650 version from TX to Prudhoe Bay and back. That person's bike ran flawlessly.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #3
bosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Let’s see now,
Probably the best motor in the adv touring class,
Fantastic ergonomics,
Lots of aftermarket stuff available,
Near bullet proof reliability,
Great road handling,
Very reasonably priced.

Lots of folks think the 650 is better for off roading because of the lower weight, but it sounds like you'd be better off with the 1000 (I'd prefer the 1000 myself).

If you have the lust for one I think you couldn't go wrong!

My philosophy is if you have to talk yourself into a bike you won't be happy with it in the long run. So I'd ignore what folks write here and get what talks to you!

Bosh.
bosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Lots of problems with the big 'strom's fuel injection. None with the Wee-storm's. Don't know dick about the Tiger.
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
bosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Oops forgot to put this in, Cycletrader.com has a dealer advertizing 2006 models for $7790.00 (+Fees I'm sure). You may be able to do better if you do your homework.
bosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
Lots of problems with the big 'strom's fuel injection. None with the Wee-storm's. Don't know dick about the Tiger.
Good point. Plan on paying $50 for tuning with a yosh box or $$ for a power commander.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:03 PM   #7
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 875
Quote:
Lots of problems with the big 'strom's fuel injection.
A wee exaggeration.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:48 PM   #8
DirtyLarry OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree with ADVman that it's kind of a personal thing and I don't think it's the most attractive bike, but I think I can get past that for all the reasons bosh listed. Trying to keep a level head on this one.

Anyone buy a new one ('05-06) lately and want to share their out the door steal?
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #9
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,566
3 reasons not to buy a VStrom

It's ugly
It's boring
The wee Strom is a better bike !
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:30 AM   #10
v-twinfant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree with ADVman that it's kind of a personal thing and I don't think it's the most attractive bike, but I think I can get past that for all the reasons bosh listed. Trying to keep a level head on this one.

Anyone buy a new one ('05-06) lately and want to share their out the door steal?
Hey DirtyLarry,
I'm on the same hunt as yourself. Gonna' buy an 05 DL 1000 ("v-strom" sounds gay ) this weekend. Regarding price, I've found a leftover 05' that I can get out the door for $8500, but I've also found a private seller who's willing to part with his for $8000, (with extended warranty).

Yeah, the DL1000 is absolutely hideous, (the black on the 05 somewhat reduces the offense). I've read every road test and review I could find on the net and in print, and it seems like at this price point, there's nothing that can touch it. I see it as an extremely practical tool, ala "Swiss army knife", not excelling in any one thing, but proving itself competent in several.

The seat height is barely within my 30" inseams acceptability. Sorry Mr. Buell,...you ALMOST had another Uly sale! Maybe Erik will release a lower model next year to cease alienating a market segment. Good luck on your search DirtyLarry.
v-twinfant
v-twinfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:38 AM   #11
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
So let me get this straight...We're talking Adventure Bikes here and somehow appearance enters the discussion? Show me any Adventure bike that has "nice Lines" or isn't "Butt Ugly"........Comon folks...we're talking function over form here........If you want looks, a second bike would be the way to go.......All adventure / Dual Sport bikes are ugly....including my very beautiful DL-650.......

2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:03 AM   #12
Strombony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
the alternator out put was only weak on the 02 models.
it was increased for 03 and up. you shouldn't have any issue
with watts. the wee strom is only better if you are going to do
lots of gravel, and trail because of the lower weight.
why ride a 650 when you can ride a 1000? i luv mine.
v-strom vs tiger, i think the tiger has a better exhaust note.
01 ktm 400 mxc
92 RMX 250, blown up!
Strombony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:00 AM   #13
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
After I checked the V-Strom, I went to An Aprilia dealer and checked the CapoNord. As soon as I and my passenger sat, it was it.
Oh, a touch of italian class does not hurt...
Attached Images

Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
Define "problems".
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:31 AM   #15
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Larry where do you live?

I read all these reports of guys getting 1000s OTD for around 8 grand. I checked all the Nor Cal dealers an everyone was about a thou higher than that.....after we talked for awhile. A couple dealerships let me walk out the door after I said I was ready to buy but the price wasn't close enough. I couldv'e saved $500 by going to L.A. but you'll have to pay me more than that to go there to pick up a bike. So $8.5K or less looks pretty good to me, but that may be a location thing. Maybe I could've paid a little less, I don't really care now, I've got a fine bike I'm happy with.

As for the stator output, Strombony was right, the '03s and up have a higher output than the '02s, but it's still not a powerhouse in that department. Will it be enough? What do you plan to run? You can run all the gadgets in the world like gps, rader, radio etc as they have such a low current draw. If you plan on running some high draw accessories such as heated gear and extra lighting you will come up short if you want to run it all, all of the time. Of course you can help it with a higher output stator if that's the case. For most folks it won't be an issue, but check for your own situation.

Buying a wee strom because of the Vs fuel injection issues is a pretty weak argument. Plenty of good reasons to like the wee more for your situation, but I wouldn't let that effect the descision much. WORST case scenario you drop $300 for a powercommander to fix it (there are cheaper ways to). Look, you're already spending thousands of dollars more because you want the extra power, whats $300 (or less) added to that. Do you want the big V power or not? Either way is o.k., just where are your priorities? Besides I've met a few wee owners that bought a powercommander anyway, not to fix anything, but to be able to adjust the fuel delivery themselves.

Looks, well what can you say. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Really I think the Strom looks sexy from all angles until I look at it head on. Fortunately I don't see that view while I'm riding it . But there is a reason for those funky reflectors in the headlights..... they plain out work. By far the best stock lighting on any bike I've owned. Sure more is better, but on a dark road they sure are nice.

As far as comparing to other bikes, if you take the dirt ability out of it, the Strom, Tiger,Capo, 950 ETC are all pretty close in wha they can do. It's more personal decisions about what type of motor YOU like and how the styling and ergonomics work for you.

Sounds to me you've pretty much decieded you want a Strom. Go get the best price you can without losing sleep over a couple of bucks, buy it and don't look back. Ride it and most likely any doubts about if you did the right thing will go away. At least that's how it worked out for me .

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote