Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2006, 07:46 AM   #16
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,716
I must have living in a stone hut for the last three years. What problems are people having with the FI? My 03 is smooth as silk and gets 240 miles on a tank (crossing Montana without a cop in sight). Guess I didn't know I had a problem.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #17
DavesNotHere
Slow Lane

Oddometer: 250
Pre -06 DL1000's generally have a stumble at low RPM which is easily fixed with a Yosh box or Teka box. There is a loaner program where guys are passing around a Yosh or a Teka to make the adjustment which is usually some minor adjustments to the low settings of the map.

http://11109.rapidforum.com/area=42

2014 Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 AM   #18
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac62
I must have living in a stone hut for the last three years. What problems are people having with the FI? My 03 is smooth as silk and gets 240 miles on a tank (crossing Montana without a cop in sight). Guess I didn't know I had a problem.
Perhaps "room for improvement" is a better term than "problem." Get the FI properly tuned and the bike will pull from 2K to redline quite smoothly. In retrospect, much of my bike's stuttering was due to improperly synchronized throttle bodies.

After taking my bike to the local dealer (now closed), the bike still ran rough. I made a synchronization tool per instructions on the web. To my dismay, the throttle bodies were out of synch by approximately 2.5 feet of two cycle oil. The post adjustment change was amazing.

I can't help but wonder whether a good synch job obviates the need for FI adjustment. However, I personally put the cart in front of the horse.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #19
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twinfant
Yeah, the DL1000 is absolutely hideous, (the black on the 05 somewhat reduces the offense).
I think the black on the 05 makes a really big difference. When I look at my bike and other all-black 05s, I find myself thinking that it's a very pretty bike. But the brighter colors really seem to emphasize the awkwardness of the front end. I wouldn't call even the brigth red Wees hideous, though, and both the 06 colors for the Vee look at least "okay", to me.

FI problems: Mine had pretty abrupt throttle response below 3500 rpm when I got it, but the dealer made some adjustments to the mapping and now it's wonderfully smooth from idle on up. Didn't cost me a dime, other than gas money and subway fare getting to/from the dealer.

Pricing: I paid only around $8100 OTD for my 05 back in October. That was before the 06s had been announced or were becoming available, so $8500 for an 05 now that it's a "leftover" seems somewhat high, to me. Location will make a difference, but if you're someplace where there are 05 leftovers, that says to me that you are probably in a buyer's market for the bike.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #20
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 6,750
I got my wee strom for $6700 out the door in 04 with extended warranty. I didn't buy it for it's looks . I actually liked the Tiger's looks better, but the wee fit me and my needs better. In 03 at the Int'l show, I just going back to the wee. Tried the Capo, Mutlti, GS, 1K and the Tiger, but the wee felt just right. Must have wore that seat out trying it. Of course the price helped too. Boring yes, almost appliance like, but I need my bike reliable to get me to my work and wherever I go. See what it's like when your refrigerator craps out on you.

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #21
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortOnSkill
Perhaps "room for improvement" is a better term than "problem." Get the FI properly tuned and the bike will pull from 2K to redline quite smoothly. In retrospect, much of my bike's stuttering was due to improperly synchronized throttle bodies.

After taking my bike to the local dealer (now closed), the bike still ran rough. I made a synchronization tool per instructions on the web. To my dismay, the throttle bodies were out of synch by approximately 2.5 feet of two cycle oil. The post adjustment change was amazing.

I can't help but wonder whether a good synch job obviates the need for FI adjustment. However, I personally put the cart in front of the horse.
Maybe that's it. After 12,000 miles I synced the TBs and now check it every few thousand but haven't needed to tweek it yet.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM   #22
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
Hi all,

I've been looking hard at both the Vstom and the Tiger, favoring the 'strom for a number of reasons: price, dealer location, and all the positive press on this site.

But what am I missing? Are there things about the Vstrom that would keep you from buying one?

I remember reading somewhere that the strom's power output is somewhat weak, lessening the power accessories available. Any thoughts on this?

I'm not looking to do any hard core offroading. Just some weekend 1up touring.

That said....

How much should I pay? The local dealers are quoting 8500 out the door for a new '05. Is this a good price? How much better can I do?

thanks for the info.

Larry
I picked up an '04 liter and no complaints. The original owner said there were some FI issues when he picked it up(rough response low rpms) but took back to the dealer and they fixed/adjusted the FI and no problems since. The $$$ I saved in price I'm able to put into accessories. I bought used with 1700 miles and saved $2000 but I "interviewed" the original owner before I bought used(he was an airplane mechanic/pilot). Only buy used if you trust the seller! Not always easy!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:00 PM   #23
ERUPTION
eruption

Oddometer: 11
No Problems

I bought my DL1000K5 in Hamilton, AL for $8100 OTD with taxes and such (I live in-state). It's all I am really willing to afford.
The 2006 model is a bit more expensive from the same dealer.
http://www.motorsportssuperstore.com...525&pov=250037
You can trust Hamilton Suzuki/Yamaha. I thought they were fantastic, very professional and courteous. The website offers great catalog sales as well with really LOW shipping charges. Worth a look.
I thoroughly researched my purchase for a while. I poked around several bikes' forums [just like yourself]. My best impressions came from the International Motorcycle Show in Atlanta.. when I could sit on the bike - and then walk a few steps to see all of the accesories available.
It is truly what I want in a motorcycle. It may be ugly, but so am I.
The price of the DL1000, along with performance figures, makes it impossible for me to ever spend twice as much money [for an equivalent style] unless the ride is twice as good.
Just like most riders... I ride for GO, not for SHOW.
Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the Author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance.
--Thomas Jefferson: Legal Argument, 1770. FE 1:376

ERUPTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #24
DirtyLarry OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Wow, great info. Thanks all for the pricing info.

I'm on the California central coast (Arroyo Grande) and there's not much competition out here. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to touch the pricing I'm hearing you can get in LA, but at least I can give it a shot. I would rather not have to make a trip to LA either, but we'll see.

I agree that the Adventure class doesn't include the prettiest styled bikes, but give me a DL with a Tiger or a GS (non Adventure) front side, and I'd be a happy guy. That said, the accessories I could buy with the leftover money would be welcome.

So DL owners, are the headlights bright enough, or will I want to add additional lighting?

Larry
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #25
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Oh sure.... there is alot of FI issues on the DL1000! I spent all of $33 dollars to have my FI tweaked with a Yoshimura box.... it now runs perfect! It pulls hard and smooth in any gear or RPM now. I also can get between 45 and 49 MPG when I'm not riding it like an idiot! Alot of people who buy other more expensive adventure bikes, think that their machines are superior. All that I can say is.... "whatever"! All the bikes in this category are UGLY..... that is why they are so cool! We ride ugly and differen't bikes. As far as a Tiger's exhaust note sounding better than a "big boy Strom", have you ever heard a dual set of Leo Vinces or 2 brothers exhausts..... SWEET!!! If you want an adventure style bike that has expensive repair parts, limited dealer availabilty as well as limited aftermarket accessories.... then go with some of the other brands. You have some great choices out there, it just boils down to what YOU really want! I could really care less what some people think about both of the Stroms... those of us who have them, know how awesome they truly are.

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
mrmonk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
Wow, great info. Thanks all for the pricing info.

I'm on the California central coast (Arroyo Grande) and there's not much competition out here. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to touch the pricing I'm hearing you can get in LA, but at least I can give it a shot. I would rather not have to make a trip to LA either, but we'll see.

I agree that the Adventure class doesn't include the prettiest styled bikes, but give me a DL with a Tiger or a GS (non Adventure) front side, and I'd be a happy guy. That said, the accessories I could buy with the leftover money would be welcome.

So DL owners, are the headlights bright enough, or will I want to add additional lighting?

Larry

I printed my quote from the folks in LA http://www.otdcyclesports.com/ and my local San Diego dealer added $100 to it (the $ for the trouble going up to LA). I thought that was fair.

M
mrmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
satz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I brought my 05 dl1000 for 7899 + 110 doc fee + tax + ttl in May 05

but since the bikeis gone...i sold it and now after going around in circle i am buying a 03 brand new left over for 7300$ from a dealer who could not sell the 03 .
satz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #28
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
I bought 2 DL1000K5's from Honda East in Maumee, Ohio. The price is listed in Cycletrader.com. For mine, it was $7699 each. No discount for buying two of them. Shipping to Denver was about $350 each. Our local dealer was given the opportunity to price-match, and declined.

So far, absolutely no problems. I've left one of them almost completely stock, while the other has been extensively modified. Both run fine, although the mods do make some extra power.

Best value out there in a new moto.

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #29
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
Larry,

The DL1000 lights are among the best out there. They are really great - one of the best things about the bike. I put 6K miles on my '03, and often miss it.

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
andyrock
03' BMW R1150GSA

Oddometer: 93
G'day Larry,

Mate I bought a K6 DL1000 and she pulls like a school boy with a nudie mag, this morning I embarrased a few sport bike riders as the bike handles great and has heaps of mid range grunt. Ive done abit of two-up touring and have had no complaints from the Dragon Lady, Ive added a taller screen, Staintune pipes, Bagster tankbag and sheepskin seat cover.
Whoever is suffering FI glitches is obviously riding like a big Jesse, if in doubt throttle on.
Attached Images

I HATE signature thingy's ........
andyrock is offline   Reply With Quote