User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2006, 12:48 PM   #31
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,642
Unnecessary

If you like the Litre Strom you'd LOVE the Weestrom, and eventually you'll switch.

The BigStrom has a lot of competition and no particular advantage. The weestrom has little competition. [what other modern twin weighs sits like an enduro, cruises at 100mph, loves dirt, never breaks, weighs less than 420 dry, and costs 6k?] Handles better, more controllable offroad by far, better balanced, better sprung stock [despite less expensive parts], more refined engine, more durable. The only advantage of the Big is that it weighs more so it hits harder when it goes down, squishing small bugs even finer than the weestrom would
Put the same rider on both bikes in gnarly 90/10 mountain roads and the Weestrom wins. Resale value? WeeStrom wins.

Bump up from 90/10 to 70/30 and they both lose badly to the KTM 950

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #32
IrishJohnny
Tommy Gavin's cousin

Oddometer: 349
What about 2 up touring on the 650 ?

The reports I've read talk about the 1000 as the one to have for 2 up and highway work, especially with luggage.

IrishJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #33
usmctpdog
KingRat

Oddometer: 109
I have owned many many bikes and find my 03 DL1000 with a tall windshield, tankbag and a Russell Day long seat with factory luggage to be the most comfortable sport touring adventure bike yet! * It as lots of dealer support. Not something you can say about Bmw/KTM/Triumph.

I have ridden it alittle over 20,000 miles in 1.5 years with no issues.
*Just don't expect any Cache respect... this bike puts all the much more expensive bikes to shame with its features @ value pricing.

You may be tempted to go really cheap and the get the 650 but I recommend for 34 more lbs and alot more sophisticated bike get the 1000 for 40 more hp and dual exhausts, etc. Nothing beats more power. It is inexpensive HP and with the 1000 there is more than enough!!!
The Weestrom (Read Cheap) owners try to rationalize the smaller bike but it won't work. . . .
usmctpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:05 PM   #34
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
If you like the Litre Strom you'd LOVE the Weestrom, and eventually you'll switch.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #35
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
I've had a capo and both the wee and vstrom, ALL are great, but the wee beats the v!! My fave
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM   #36
Saso
chronically restless

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
I don't get this competitive thing between the wees and the litres. Each has its strengths (and weaknesses) and each is ridden for different reasons. I enjoyed riding the wee when I was test riding stroms and I can see the advantage it has on trails but it was obvious right away that it wasn't the right bike for the big, long distance, gear intensive, sometimes two up, tours I do on both pavement and dirt. As for twisties, they're both adequate but then again that's why I have the Buell.
Saso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:35 PM   #37
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22

The BigStrom has a lot of competition and no particular advantage. The weestrom has little competition. [what other modern twin weighs sits like an enduro, cruises at 100mph, loves dirt, never breaks, weighs less than 420 dry, and costs 6k?] Handles better, more controllable offroad by far, better balanced, better sprung stock [despite less expensive parts], more refined engine, more durable. The only advantage of the Big is that it weighs more so it hits harder when it goes down, squishing small bugs even finer than the weestrom would
Put the same rider on both bikes in gnarly 90/10 mountain roads and the Weestrom wins. Resale value? WeeStrom wins.

Bump up from 90/10 to 70/30 and they both lose badly to the KTM 950

z
Geez Zapp, go buy your DR650 , then your 950 and then you won't need a Strom of any sort. You know it's what you really want , just do it and maybe you'll understand the attraction to big power when you twist the throttle on the 950 !!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:47 PM   #38
mayner
Postal

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
Thanks for all the feedback.

I agree with ADVman that it's kind of a personal thing and I don't think it's the most attractive bike, but I think I can get past that for all the reasons bosh listed. Trying to keep a level head on this one.

Anyone buy a new one ('05-06) lately and want to share their out the door steal?
I just bought one today.

Here's some pics. I got 4 miles on the beast already!

I love it so far. I paid 8400 otd at LA Cyclesports in Inglewood, Cali.
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:18 PM   #39
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:

Sure I would........ yeah right! Both are great bikes, but If I have true "off road" ambitions.... I'lll be doing it on a DRZ 400s or a DR650. The ONLY sub 750 streetbike that I would EVER own, would be the new Triumph Daytona 675.... now that is one bad boy!!

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 11:19 PM   #40
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurton
Sure I would........ yeah right! Both are great bikes, but If I have true "off road" ambitions.... I'lll be doing it on a DRZ 400s or a DR650. The ONLY sub 750 streetbike that I would EVER own, would be the new Triumph Daytona 675.... now that is one bad boy!!
I think the DL1000 trashing is done according to a well thought out plan. Trash the bike enough and one undoubtedly gets offers to swap bikes while out riding. In this way, said individual gets to occasionally experience true power and performance without cash output . Smart plan... Wish I thought of it myself... Did I ever mention what a piece of junk the KTM950 is?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:14 AM   #41
v-twinfant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Puke New DL1000 in my garage

Just picked up a leftover 05' DL1000 this weekend,...looks like I overpaid by a few hundred bucks, "crap!" ($8500), but there weren't any other black ones within acceptable driving distance to me.

Only 110 miles on the clock, but TRULY love it so far! Of course I'll readily concede that my perspective is based on having just came off of a Moto Guzzi LeMans sport touring v-twin. Man the ergos ROCK!

So THIS is what I've been missing for all these years; upright posture, relaxed knee bend, great visibility, NO weight on wrists, solid wind protection, excellent leverage on bars, all day riding comfort for rider AND passenger, tall overdrive gear, luggage rack, excellent dealership network, inexpensive oem parts, (how about a $216.00 Guzzi rear brake pedal arm... IF you can find it?) superior stock headlight illumination, great v-twin "grunt" and character, (though the much discussed FI remapping must be done to eliminate jerky throttle response down low).

With the addition of some aftermarket pipes, I think she'll reveal the hidden potential lurking beneath that "butt-ugly" exterior, and cut loose with a soulful v-twin growl. I genuinely believe that with a heated grip kit, hardbags and a laminar windshield lip, I'd be near enough to the Goldwing touring zone.

Wow,...I was honestly ready to plop down $14,000 for a GS, I can't imagine that it would have been worth the extra 5 thousand dollars.

Thanks Suzuki,...uh, but why'd ya' have to give it such a retarded name?
v-twinfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:38 AM   #42
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Both the DL1000 and the DL650 are great motorcycles. Some crave more power, others value the additional lightness and agility. You pay your money and make your choice - either way, these are 2 of the best deals going. As for me, I have always valued lightness and agility over power, especially off road. In the showroom, I did not feel comfortable on the DL1000, while the WeeStrom felt perfect. So I went with the Wee and have been absolutely delighted - it has been the best motorcycle I have owned of the dozens of bikes I've had over many years. And for the $5900 I paid for a new '05, an unbelievable deal.

As far as power and speed goes, I was on a "closed course" (yeah, right) deserted road last week, cruising around 70 when I spotted some nice sweepers up ahead with clear lines of sight going about a mile. In 6th gear, I rolled on the throttle and ran those sweepers between 115 and 120 indicated. The Wee was solid as a rock and a lot of fun doing that. Don't know about the rest of you, but the Wee provides me with plenty of acceleration and speed to get my jollys.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:25 AM   #43
hutchman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twinfant
Just picked up a leftover 05' DL1000 this weekend,...looks like I overpaid by a few hundred bucks, "crap!" ($8500), but there weren't any other black ones within acceptable driving distance to me.

Only 110 miles on the clock, but TRULY love it so far! .......

Wow,...I was honestly ready to plop down $14,000 for a GS, I can't imagine that it would have been worth the extra 5 thousand dollars.

How can you over pay for something that obviously pleases you so much.
From your post, it seems to me that you got screaming deal!

Ride the hell out of it, life is too short to worry about a couple of hundred bucks when dealing with such pleasure.

Hutch
IBA #11656

"We are past the worst of it" - Yours truely.
hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:35 AM   #44
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:

Only 110 miles on the clock, but TRULY love it so far! Of course I'll readily concede that my perspective is based on having just came off of a Moto Guzzi LeMans sport touring v-twin. Man the ergos ROCK!

So THIS is what I've been missing for all these years; upright posture, relaxed knee bend, great visibility, NO weight on wrists, solid wind protection, excellent leverage on bars, all day riding comfort for rider AND passenger, tall overdrive gear, luggage rack, excellent dealership network, inexpensive oem parts, (how about a $216.00 Guzzi rear brake pedal arm... IF you can find it?) superior stock headlight illumination, great v-twin "grunt" and character, (though the much discussed FI remapping must be done to eliminate jerky throttle response down low).

With the addition of some aftermarket pipes, I think she'll reveal the hidden potential lurking beneath that "butt-ugly" exterior, and cut loose with a soulful v-twin growl. I genuinely believe that with a heated grip kit, hardbags and a laminar windshield lip, I'd be near enough to the Goldwing touring zone.

So does it really have the character after riding the MG for so long? Or does it seems appliance-like? (I'm looking at a 2003 California Stone BTW- you suck )
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #45
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:

If I were you I would wait on that FI remap for a while.
I had a 1000,(crashed unfortunately) and it seemed to get better after I got to about 3K miles and resynced the throttle bodies a time or two.
at 12K miles it ran better than ever, at least til that truck cut me off.

I have a 650 now and love it but, I kind of miss that big power,nothing like a good power wheelie from your adventure tourer.