User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #46
Maxmosbey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Thumb

I got mine for $8200 out the door. I had a friend who had the 1000, and knew another guy who had the 650. I rode the 1000 and liked it. I then got the guy with the 650 let me ride his, and I could really feel the difference in power. I ride two up a lot of the time, and tour. With the bags packed, and the wife on the back, I am glad that I have the extra power. One up, the side bags off, and the trunk almost empty, I love the extra power.

As far as the FI problems, my 1000 is touchy about the gas that you put into it. I put 87 octane regular gas in it, and it runs fantastic. If I try to run gasahol or premium in it, it has some issues, but nothing to be concerned about. I put a power commander on mine, but I am running it stock right now. In other words, it is not doing anything. I put it in and played with it some this summer. You can do a lot with the PC, but after all of the dicking around with it, I have it zeroed out, so there you go.

Finally, ugly it might be to you, but I think they are beautiful. I love the V twin, I love how high it is, and I love that big ass faring and tank. It is a stand out bike, and a lot of people ask about it. It is the looks that sold me on the bike, and the rest is gravy. By the way, if you are looking at bags, take a look at the GIVI E360s for the side, and an E460 for the trunk.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #47
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,132
I have had both, '02 1000 that I rode for 34k miles. It had its share of gremlins but overall was a good motorcycle. I own a '06 650 and have put 1700 miles on it so far, it has fewer FI related glitches that the 1000 had and is a real smooth running engine. Stock gearing on the 650 was a bit tight but I changed that. I have not done any long trips on the 650 yet but it has plenty of power so I'm not the least bit concerned. I am not a big guy only 160 lbs. at 5'9" so to me the 650 feels better. The 1000 did have the grunt and that was fun.

Conclusion: Both are great motorcycles and I would not hesitate to buy either one again.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 AM   #48
buck12ga
Buck

Oddometer: 564
Alright! I bought a new DL1000 in 2003. The V-Strom engine is simply one excellent component. This engine pulls very strong, even in a stock state, lofting the front wheel in first gear. And, it makes marvelous sounds with aftermarket cans. The Strom handles very well, considering it's weight and height limitations. It is very comfortable and roomy. When I sat on a new Goldwing I was surprised to find that it had less legroom than my V-Strom. The V-Strom is a wonderful bike for a big guy with long legs. That height gives you a better view in traffic, too. The DL1000 even gets excellent mpg, a real bonus. Also, I think the V-Strom is a beautiful bike. Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
buck12ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #49
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,706
A couple of guys on here now have made comments comparing the comfort of the Strom to a Goldwing, and I have to agree.

My Strom is a sport tourer, which is supposed to be a compromise between handling and comfort. The handling allows me to go as fast as I care to on the street these days. I've had thoughts wondering what bike I'll be riding "when I get old" figuring I'll have to compromise more towards the comfort side. I've ridden wings and except for wind protection I think my Strom is more comfortable, the leg room particularly. I guess when I get old maybe I'll put some floorboards on the Strom

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:52 AM   #50
usmctpdog
KingRat

Oddometer: 109
Cool2

*Come to think about it, - Of all the 650 owners I know they all tend to be unhappy & argumentative types . . . . *What is it about the little wee strom people?
usmctpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:00 AM   #51
v-twinfant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadMan
So does it really have the character after riding the MG for so long? Or does it seems appliance-like? (I'm looking at a 2003 California Stone BTW- you suck )
O.K. Breadman,
remember you had a fair opportunity to own the rare and mysterious LeMans, btw did you ever sell any of your bikes,...if not you could always take a walk on the WILD side, and buy a new bike to ADD to the collection, IN SPITE of what the Mrs. sez! Chicken?! (that's why every husband should have a sleeper/sofa).

Oh, in regards to apparent "character" in the DL1000, though of a different nature, it's there. The raucuous, pulsing, shuddering waves of locomotive-like torque delivery are gone with the Guzzi, but the new bike's quite unique in it's own, long-legged, ubercomfortable, v-twinish way. Buy the California and prove to everyone on this forum that your'e not SCARED of your wife!
v-twinfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #52
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Reducing The Weight Difference

According to aftermarket exhaust companies, the DL1000 may lose 14-15 pounds with simple slip-ons. As this weight sits quite high, removing it would theoretically enhance agility quite a bit. The remaining 18 pound weight difference would be from engine structure.

I'm being purely theoretical. I left my exhaust stock and spent money on the suspension. Could someone give real world experience?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 PM   #53
kicker13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Hard to Sell

I was at the Harley-Suzuki dealership in Carroll Iowa last week. They have a 2003 Yellow 1000cc wee strom. It has O miles. He told me 7,200 and that included taxes and license.
kicker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #54
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
...I think my Strom is more comfortable, the leg room particularly.
Hey DD,

I too am tall (6'5") and I love the ergos on the Strom. I switched from a 1150GS to the Strom, and my knees immediately stopped being sore after long rides. Recently, I had a chance to ride Darmah's 1200GS, and I finally figured out the difference: The R-series BMW footpegs are moved aft of where they should be. Because of the opposed-twin design of the BMW, the footpegs can't be placed at the center of gravity because the cylinders stick out right where the riders feet should be. On the Strom, with a V-twin design, the footpegs are further forward, at the cg. Less knee bend, and better control of the bike's mass.

Ten minutes on the 1200GS, and I was ready to park it. Cool bike, but it doesn't feel right.

Cap
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:21 PM   #55
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortOnSkill
According to aftermarket exhaust companies, the DL1000 may lose 14-15 pounds with simple slip-ons... Could someone give real world experience?
I put Remus slip-ons on my DL1000. Much lighter. But the big difference is throttle response: no more lag. I mean, INSTANT throttle off idle. Seems like a minor power increase, but that's probably just wishful thinking. I really like the carbon fiber cans, because they stay warm to the touch -- no melting of bags or skin.
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #56
badchad
Ride on...

Oddometer: 73
cheap dl1000

Chicago cycle center, last Aug(05), out the door, $7400 for an 05 model, they buy them by the 100's. No tax or title, I'm from WI and just paid for the bike.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #57
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
Harley Dealer selling Suzuki???

Yes, that is a problem. duh!

To quote...

"I was at the Harley-Suzuki dealership in Carroll Iowa last week. They have a 2003 Yellow 1000cc wee strom. It has O miles. He told me 7,200 and that included taxes and license"

1. Anyone looking in a Harley dealer knows only BS crap about motorcyles and would never buy something as sophisticated as a Vstrom.

2. A wee-strom is not 1000cc

3. 06 wee-strom's at Honda East Toledo Ohio sell for $5,890. NO shipping or setup charges
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #58
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Compared to the Harley monstrosities, anything would feel like a wee strom.

I have a friend who shops for cruisers at sport bike dealers. The tend to dump them for low cost and he purchased a Victory TC for several thousand under book. Purchasing from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:44 PM   #59
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicker13
They have a 2003 Yellow 1000cc wee strom. It has O miles. He told me 7,200 and that included taxes and license.
A 1000cc wee strom? Isn't than an oxymoron?
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #60
VRAPT
Highwayman Bebop

Oddometer: 94
The V-Strom can be the best Sport/Touring/Adv bike on the market, if you spend the money you save on suspension, exhaust, bags, windshield, seat, and PCIII. And you'll still have a few grand left over....

And I don't think the Strom is the prettiest bike, but I like being able to see the engine under the half fairing, and still have the comfort of a big Wing.
24,000 miles and counting - total bliss thus far.

VRAPT is offline   Reply With Quote