Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2006, 03:39 PM   #61
ShortOnSkill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
I put Remus slip-ons on my DL1000. Much lighter. But the big difference is throttle response: no more lag. I mean, INSTANT throttle off idle. Seems like a minor power increase, but that's probably just wishful thinking. I really like the carbon fiber cans, because they stay warm to the touch -- no melting of bags or skin.
Thanks cap. Exhausts are on my summer wish list.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:09 PM   #62
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortOnSkill
Purchasing from a Harley dealer does have poetic justice. Almost like removing a talented child from a meth house.
that's funny
scott
fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:42 PM   #63
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
I own a 05 dl650, I know, I know, it doesn't have the power that the 1000 has but it is still just as ugly as it's bigger brother so I will add my $0.02 to the thread. I think that most everyone that owns either the 650 or the 1000 can atleast agree that they are probably the best bang for the buck hands down. I haven't ridden a 1000 so I can't say anything about it but I will say something about the 650. It's a awesome bike, no question. It eats up the twisties, snarls its teeth on the FS roads and kicks back and enjoys the hwy. My wife doesn't ride with me so I had no need for anymore power and coming off of a DRZ, the difference is like night and day. The wee is comfortable enough, powerful enough for me and what I use it for. Now if you're a big guy, you plan on 2 up, or you plan on being on the open road alot then I would go for more power but if you're like me, then the 650 is plenty and you save $2 grand. Now I'm not bashing the 1000, hell I care less what anyone rides. I am saying that I would get what fits "my" criteria the best. With that being said, regardless of whether you get a 650 or 1000, I would smile knowing that you just bought a fugly bike but it will grow on you. The tkc80s really make it look better.

Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:01 PM   #64
toddt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I very frequently hear about what a screaming value the DL 1000 and how much bike it is for the money.

While I agree it is a very nice value and one of the bikes I am considering, I think the Tiger is an equally good value...especially when you factor in the included hard panniers and full year longer warranty.

I realize there are a lot more DL1000s on the road and thus more people posting about them here, but am I missing something on the price/value?
toddt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:18 AM   #65
CaprnFool
Lazy bum

Oddometer: 11
Vstrom 1000 Price

I just bought a new 2005 Vstrom 1000. First I love it, does dirt roads just fine, but a bit to big and heavy for me to actually take in the dirt.

I paid 8400 tax and licenseing included, came to something like 7632 before all the fees.

Cheers
Jay
CaprnFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:30 AM   #66
mac62
One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer: 4,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt
I very frequently hear about what a screaming value the DL 1000 and how much bike it is for the money.

While I agree it is a very nice value and one of the bikes I am considering, I think the Tiger is an equally good value...especially when you factor in the included hard panniers and full year longer warranty.

I realize there are a lot more DL1000s on the road and thus more people posting about them here, but am I missing something on the price/value?
I don't think you're missing anything. The Tiger is a monster value! Brilliant bike complete with integrated luggage for not very much more than the VStrom with luggage. It gets less favorable press though, probably because sales volume is lower.

-Mahatma Ghandi, 1946
mac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 AM   #67
mtrrnn
Paladin

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac62
I don't think you're missing anything. The Tiger is a monster value! Brilliant bike complete with integrated luggage for not very much more than the VStrom with luggage. It gets less favorable press though, probably because sales volume is lower.
I also think the Tiger is a good bike - the problem for me is the dealer network. The nearest Triumph dealer is almost 2 hours away - within 45 minutes, I can get to three Suzuki dealers.

Since long distance rides are something I like to do, finding dealers if the need arises is a big plus.

All in all - I wouldn't stick my nose in the air over either bike. (or any bike, for that matter)

Take care,
Bob S.
mtrrnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #68
Bayou Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Just take notice that the Tiger luggage is kind of small. You may have to budget for luggage anyway, though selling the factory luggage will offset the price some.
Bayou Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #69
v-twinfant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
"I have great news!"

I just saved a bunch of money on my bike insurance,...Uhhh, by NOT switching to Geico! Yeah, I just got off the phone with my agent; "ACE specialty insurance", (I'm NOT affiliated with em' in any way) and with the purchase of my 2005 Suzuki DL 1000, and selling of my 2004 Moto Guzzi LeMans, my premium dropped in HALF, (now $218.00, with full coverage, 250.00 deductable and 25k minimum on the other specs).

Woohoo! another V-twin packing 91 horses, 50 lbs lighter than the ol' Guzzi, no mid-corner chassis jacking shaft effect, indulging ergos and superior visibility, Japanese reliability, immense dealer network, inexpensive parts, massive aftermarket accessory selection, same MSRP of $8999 for 3 years running.
Gotta' take the bad with the good though, for instance; the same "tard" who designed the Pontiac Aztek, must be credited with my bike's stylistic touches. Wasn't "VeeStrom" one of the evil mutant insect monsters in a Godzilla sequel?
v-twinfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:25 PM   #70
Lencho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-twinfant
Gotta' take the bad with the good though, for instance; the same "tard" who designed the Pontiac Aztek, must be credited with my bike's stylistic touches. Wasn't "VeeStrom" one of the evil mutant insect monsters in a Godzilla sequel?
Don't you worry. The V-Strom's looks grows on you with every twist of the throttle!!

Comparing the Strom to the Aztek is just mean, but funny. That Aztek thing is flat out fugly!! When it was born, the doctor said "don't flush it, it's moving"
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #71
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
Don't you worry. The V-Strom's looks grows on you with every twist of the throttle!!

Comparing the Strom to the Aztek is just mean, but funny. That Aztek thing is flat out fugly!! When it was born, the doctor said "don't flush it, it's moving"
The first time I saw a V-Strom, I said, man that is one fugly bike. Then I saw a blue Wee in 2004 and said, if they would come out with a better looking color and a black frame, that might be ok looking. Then I bought a red '05 Wee. For some reason, I actually think it is an attractive bike now.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #72
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
1000 = No Excuses Necessary

Big deal, all Vstorm's have an "different" face.

So when you are different you better be tough... and tough is a 1000 Vstrom. The Vstrom 1000 is TOUGH like the guy named SUE.

The guy named Sue will kick ass and so will the 1000 cause its big, its fast and its an intimidator. You know its an intimidator when you stop in traffic next to a Harley. Their are even afraid to take a direct look... kinda like they will turn to stone! Because they know the 1000 will blow their fairy ass bandana clean off.

Not ugly... I know for sure... many-many people who see my 1000 with no decals say "wow... what kind of bike is that? or Cool, never see a bike like that before.

YOU DON"T NEED TO MAKE ANY MORE EXCUSES... BUY IT.

element screwed with this post 02-21-2006 at 04:21 PM
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #73
groberts
Gordo was taken...

Oddometer: 144
NOT Fugly...

...compared to this...

UTAH! Ride Report
Return Trip
'82 PE175
'80 PE250
groberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #74
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
Now that looks mean!

Those lights and hand guards makes the VStrom look like a big ole can of whoop ass.

Now that you point it out, next to a KLR the VStrom is Miss America.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #75
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,979
Price to buy or price to own. I would bet that a dl 1000 will cost you much less to own. The bikes just don't break!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddt

southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote