Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM   #76
Paper
Multibike disorder..

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by element
Those lights and hand guards makes the VStrom look like a big ole can of whoop ass.

Now that you point it out, next to a KLR the VStrom is Miss America.
Oh great.. Now I own nothing but (butt) ugly?? 05 Strom and a 02 KLR??

Next I suppose you're gonna be telling me that my 06 Scion xB is ugly, too??
Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #77
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,739
Hey Larry

You can buy mine and save BIG money. $5000

Crash Bars, Centerstand, Gel Seat, ZG Screen, Galfer Lines throughout, and Conti TKC Tires

16T front sprocket with SpeedoHealer to compensate

28K miles, but still runs fine and well taken care of. The ONLY reason I want to sell is so I can get a KTM 950. Otherwise I'd hold onto it. Let me know if interested.

Terry
Fubars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:08 AM   #78
mayner
Postal

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
You can buy mine and save BIG money. $5000

Crash Bars, Centerstand, Gel Seat, ZG Screen, Galfer Lines throughout, and Conti TKC Tires

16T front sprocket with SpeedoHealer to compensate

28K miles, but still runs fine and well taken care of. The ONLY reason I want to sell is so I can get a KTM 950. Otherwise I'd hold onto it. Let me know if interested.

Terry
Terry

I'm trying to figure out where those pics were shot. I'm here in East Ventura, out near Petit and Telephone. I haven't seen your bike around. Thought I'd seen them all. ;-)

Jeff
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:53 AM   #79
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayner
Terry

I'm trying to figure out where those pics were shot. I'm here in East Ventura, out near Petit and Telephone. I haven't seen your bike around. Thought I'd seen them all. ;-)

Jeff
I live right off Cachuma. Seems like on any given Sunday I'll see at least one Strom on the 33. They're getting more popular nowadays.
Fubars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:55 AM   #80
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by groberts
NOT Fugly...

...compared to this...

When I bought the Wee, my 2nd choice was a KLR. The KLR looks especially fugly in that olive drab green - me likes! It does make the Wee look like a beauty queen in comparison - lol. If I had room in the garage, I'd have a KLR to keep my Wee company! Guess I am attracted to fugly bikes.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:54 AM   #81
mayner
Postal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars
I live right off Cachuma. Seems like on any given Sunday I'll see at least one Strom on the 33. They're getting more popular nowadays.
I thought that was it! One of my friends used to live over there several years ago. He had to move back east because of a transfer. I use the little car-wash over there all the time. I'm just up the street and over a bit from you. My place backs up on Henderson and the freeway. ;-)

Small freakin' world.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:57 AM   #82
mayner
Postal

I have this:

And this:

They get along swell so far. ;-)
Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #83
maddmechanic
i ride too fast and crash

Oddometer: 137
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
Lots of problems with the big 'strom's fuel injection. None with the Wee-storm's. Don't know dick about the Tiger.
Hmm. Old as this thread may be, I have a 2003 DL 1000. I got it for $6k with about 10k miles, stock except for three piece Givi bags. I could have gotten one for less, but a V-strom will always cost less than a Tiger. As for injection problems, different years stumble at different spots, but has Triumph fixed their old injection problems? I don't know, but their injection used to suck. Either way, maintenance and aftermarket parts are cheaper for the Suzuki.

I have Two Brothers carbon fiber pipes, one tooth down on the front, a power commander, and a K&N. It took me about a week to get the map just right, but now its smooth from idle to WOT, it pulls the front tire off the ground with no problem, and it still gets over 50 mpg on the highway. The stumble in the Strom is a lean spot, so wherever that happens to be, needs to be fattened up a bit, and its super easy with the Power Commander. With everything I added it still costs less than a comparable mileage Tiger.

My Strom rips.

Stock 2003 V-strom:
98.00 HP (71.5 kW)) @ 7600 RPM
101.00 Nm (10.3 kgf-m or 74.5 ft.lbs) @ 6400 RPM

Stock 2005 Tiger (last year before they reduced its offroad ability):
125.00 HP (91.2 kW)) @ 9500 RPM
92.00 Nm (9.4 kgf-m or 67.9 ft.lbs) @ 4400 RPM
maddmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:28 AM   #84
Coho911
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie
After I checked the V-Strom, I went to An Aprilia dealer and checked the CapoNord. As soon as I and my passenger sat, it was it.
Oh, a touch of italian class does not hurt...
HA HA ! I never thought "Italian Class" was a real term. lol (too many sofas with plastic on them!) - just kidding

----> LC4 Info Thread <----

So many places to go and see, so little time...do it whenever you can, cause too late comes fast. - Coho

The internets BEST Site for Image Hosting ---> Smugmug <--- SAVE $ 5.00 on smugmug membership with this COUPON - hUuJ7EHBKXWDU
Coho911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #85
tigerrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmechanic
As for injection problems, different years stumble at different spots, but has Triumph fixed their old injection problems? I don't know, but their injection used to suck.
There may have been some Triumph models with injection glitches (the TT600 is the only one that springs to mind) but the Tiger was never one of them.
tigerrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 AM   #86
maddmechanic
i ride too fast and crash

Oddometer: 137
Well there ya have it, I guess the Tiger's injection is ok. I almost bought a Tiger instead of the V-strom, but I had to travel another two hours for it and it was like $9k. I don't know which I'd like better, but I'm pretty happy with my DL-1000.
maddmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 AM   #87
desufnoC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmechanic
Well there ya have it, I guess the Tiger's injection is ok. I almost bought a Tiger instead of the V-strom, but I had to travel another two hours for it and it was like $9k. I don't know which I'd like better, but I'm pretty happy with my DL-1000.
I bit the bullet on the Vstrom after the tiger 1050 broke down on a test ride. Stranded out in the middle of nowhere with my cell phone battery on no bars. Just cut out on me at a traffic light. Almost felt like fuel starvation... Trucked it back to the dealer where they told me to come back in 2 days to take it out again. When I returned 3-4 days later, they told me the ECU was being swapped and they were waiting for the part. Wrote a check for the DL1000 a few days later. I also liked the increased space behind the seat on the strom. Figured the bulletproof reliability and the price (paid 7850+tax) made it a no brainer. Tiger would have been closer to 10-11K. I WAS having a blast with it though before it broke down..
desufnoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #88
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 488
Smart move! I love my 02 Strom. Definitely the best bike I've ever owned. I sold my Triumph Sprint ST to buy it and I don't regret that one bit. While the new Tigers are sweet machines, I'd never take one off road, but my strom sure is happy offroad! Now sweeten the sound and cutoff the peashooters with a dremel (takes 5 min and makes a much nicer sound!)

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #89
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
[quote=DirtyLarry]Wow, great info. Thanks all for the pricing info.

I'm on the California central coast (Arroyo Grande) and there's not much competition out here. I'm sure the dealer won't be able to touch the pricing I'm hearing you can get in LA, but at least I can give it a shot. I would rather not have to make a trip to LA either, but we'll see.

Grind em on the price, High overhead around here has nothing to do with shitty attitude you get, isnt like you`ll get good service later for overpaying. Try Thorensen motorsports and Cal coast in Ventura although I hear there just as bad. Im heading to the city Saturday to pick up another ride, I`ll be glad to drop you off anywhere between here and Bel Air if you find a bike.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 PM   #90
stromtrooper110
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Cool2

I purposely aim for mountain fire roads here in Colorado and, once I set the suspension correctly, found my DL-1000 to work great in the mud, loose dirt, to a point - rocks (NOT BOULDERS- I learned my lession with boulders- avoid them)...Overall the only thing I still want is a center kick stand and some Continental TKC 80's. As most other Strom owners will tell you---their tough to kill, about as reliable as an anvil.
stromtrooper110 is offline   Reply With Quote