User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 06:20 AM   #1
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Mitas E-07 Dakar or dual sport

Looking at a E-07 rear for my tiger 800. What's the difference between the 3ply dual sport and 4ply Dakar. Which one is suggested and why?
ABChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #2
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
I have a regular (dual sport?) E07 on my Vstrom 1000. When I bought it late last fall, Colin at MX1 in Canada advised to not go with the Dakar as its sidewall stiffness was to stiff other than if well...you are racing Dakar! That is really the only difference - the extra ply, which means stiffer carcass. Tread pattern and rubber compounds are otherwise identical between the Dakar and regular version.

My experience however says I should of gone with the Dakar. Severe cracking of the tread surface at the base of the larger knobs. (around 50% of those larger knobs had cracks of varying degrees). Some cracks were rather deep. I have submitted a warranty claim, but I found that Colin at MX1's to not be very responsive. I am now waiting for response from Mitas.

Having said all that - I still love the tires. I got 6,000 miles on the set, both front and rear easily good for 3000 miles more. Traction in dirt great, and pavement manners were fine as well. I found the cracks after a 4500 mile trip from Michigan to Wyoming and rode the Wyoming, and some of the northern Colorado CDR and had no issues other than discovering the cracks mid way through the trip. I ordered a new rear Dakar version from http://durelleracing.com/store/index...cPath=31_87_88 to replace it.

Why the Dakar - I dont have fact to support this, only half baked theory - the stiffer sidewall will keep tire temps lower and hopefully prevent the cracks. Time will tell.

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
KTM Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
ABChaos OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
I have a regular (dual sport?) E07 on my Vstrom 1000. When I bought it late last fall, Colin at MX1 in Canada advised to not go with the Dakar as its sidewall stiffness was to stiff other than if well...you are racing Dakar! That is really the only difference - the extra ply, which means stiffer carcass. Tread pattern and rubber compounds are otherwise identical between the Dakar and regular version.

My experience however says I should of gone with the Dakar. Severe cracking of the tread surface at the base of the larger knobs. (around 50% of those larger knobs had cracks of varying degrees). Some cracks were rather deep. I have submitted a warranty claim, but I found that Colin at MX1's to not be very responsive. I am now waiting for response from Mitas.

Having said all that - I still love the tires. I got 6,000 miles on the set, both front and rear easily good for 3000 miles more. Traction in dirt great, and pavement manners were fine as well. I found the cracks after a 4500 mile trip from Michigan to Wyoming and rode the Wyoming, and some of the northern Colorado CDR and had no issues other than discovering the cracks mid way through the trip. I ordered a new rear Dakar version from http://durelleracing.com/store/index...cPath=31_87_88 to replace it.

Why the Dakar - I dont have fact to support this, only half baked theory - the stiffer sidewall will keep tire temps lower and hopefully prevent the cracks. Time will tell.
Thanks KTM Mike!! That's great insight.
ABChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
bwallca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I have the regular E 07's also, I'm happy with the wear and performance but I too have cracks around the knobs. MX1 tells me that this is not a dangerous condition, they also say that the cracks are due to under inflation even though I'm running several psi over the Mitas recommendation!!
Ben
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Ben

I think Colin at MX1 is full of it - this is a street legal tire and the tread should not be cracking like that - no way no how. He got kind of pissy with me in an email when I told him I did not agree with his assessment - and from then on he no longer responded to emails.

I submitted a warranty claim - dont yet know if they will approve it or not. It was only after Mitas directly contacted them (after I had been in touch with Mitas) that I got a response back, from Heather at MX1 - asking me to submit a warranty claim form. (and for what it is worth, Heather seems to be very nice to deal with) Here are some email addresses to contact Mitas directly:

Daniel.Uebrick@mitas-tyres.com
Miodrag.Ristic@savatech.si (I think savatech is a parent company??? not sure)

Both of those contacts have been VERY timely in their responses and seem reasonable. Daniels latest communication to me was that using their warranty claim form was the new method they were implementing. Here is a link to the claim form that Heather at MX1 sent to me:

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=nTC56KyO3KfQIMwR4kHmKA#

I did end up ordering a new Dakar from Durelle Racing (very good to deal with so far), and got it today. I noticed that the recommended air pressure on the Dakar was 40 PSI, while the regular was 33 PSI. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. I would think the Dakar's extra plys would be much less likely to need higher air pressure while the regular would be more likely to need the higher pressure.

What is the born on date for your tires? and what air pressure do they note on the sidewall?

Northern Michigan home on 40 wooded acres for sale. Located on MCCT, ride direct to over 200 miles of ORV trails. 4 miles of trails on the property. PM me for more info
Old 08-11-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,093
It's just a theory, but...

I think what some are missing is that extra plys generate more heat. Running the Dakar at a higher pressure makes sense to me. That's why I'll be using the regular in the rear; to run lower pressure with out as much heat build up.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmm...good point. I had not thought of that. My focus (assumption?) has been that the added flexing of the regular tire, at the lower air pressure would generate more heat.

Well...I have the Dakar now. I'll see how it goes and report back, hopefully 10,000 miles from now!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #8
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 662
I just put a Dakar on the back of my Vee over the weekend. I guess we will see if that was the right choice for me. I'm running it 38 psi. I've only put about 40 pavement miles on it so far, about half of that in the rain. So far I'm pleased, but it's still to early for me know if I'll really like it yet.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,893
Hmm...

This is a bit disturbing. I was planning on buying a Mitas -07 rear for my Stelvio's dirt wheels. I was on the fence between a Hiedi and the Mitas and really like the open tread design with no center rib.

This has me stepping back a bit. Cracks around the knobs tells me it's a rubber compounding issue, not dissimilar to what has plagued some Shinko tires.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #10
bwallca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Mike View Post
Ben

I think Colin at MX1 is full of it - this is a street legal tire and the tread should not be cracking like that - no way no how. He got kind of pissy with me in an email when I told him I did not agree with his assessment - and from then on he no longer responded to emails.

I submitted a warranty claim - dont yet know if they will approve it or not. It was only after Mitas directly contacted them (after I had been in touch with Mitas) that I got a response back, from Heather at MX1 - asking me to submit a warranty claim form. (and for what it is worth, Heather seems to be very nice to deal with) Here are some email addresses to contact Mitas directly:

Daniel.Uebrick@mitas-tyres.com
Miodrag.Ristic@savatech.si (I think savatech is a parent company??? not sure)

Both of those contacts have been VERY timely in their responses and seem reasonable. Daniels latest communication to me was that using their warranty claim form was the new method they were implementing. Here is a link to the claim form that Heather at MX1 sent to me:

https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=nTC56KyO3KfQIMwR4kHmKA#

I did end up ordering a new Dakar from Durelle Racing (very good to deal with so far), and got it today. I noticed that the recommended air pressure on the Dakar was 40 PSI, while the regular was 33 PSI. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. I would think the Dakar's extra plys would be much less likely to need higher air pressure while the regular would be more likely to need the higher pressure.

What is the born on date for your tires? and what air pressure do they note on the sidewall?
The tire I have is labeled Enduro Rear 4 ply 130/80 - 17, max pressure 33psi and dated 0612.
I'm going to be off-line for a week so I'll be checking back on this thread later.
Ben

bwallca screwed with this post 08-12-2014 at 09:56 AM
bwallca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #11
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,076
The Dakar definitely has a stiffer ride, all things being equal.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,284
I have a few 150/18 rears in both dakar and regular. The PSI rating is 40 Lbs on all of them. There is one additional ply on the Dakar tires and they are noticeably heavier and stiffer. I haven't ridden my Dakar version yet though so I can't comment on the ride.

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
2 Dogs
2 Dogs

Oddometer: 96
I went with the regular on my 800XC. I was also worried about the heat when running a lower pressure with the Dakar. 5K later and things are good. I like it better than the K60 (center strip sucked).
2 Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
KTM Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Scud - that's interesting that both the Dakar and regular you have all show 40 PSI. I was thinking maybe it was just the Dakar at 40 PSI. (seems to shoot Motomantra's theory though!). When were yours produced? To me that seems to validate my thought that they under rated the PSI at 33 on some of the regular. My regular (33 PSI shown) was produced April, 2013. The Dakar I have was produced October 2013. I expected the dates to be much farther apart suggesting it was a later production change. Ben's built in 2012 is 33 PSI.

2dogs - I rejected the K60 for the same reason - if it only had some sipes in the center to channel water, I might have gone that route. I do like how the E07 performs though.

Dank - If I recall correctly, the Heidi's have had tread separation issues (maybe do a search on ADV?). Seems we cant win! Fact is, I liked the E07 enough to have bought another inspite of the cracking.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
Garnotte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Look like the Dakar got a new thread design, check the center stripe on those 150/70-17 I got in the mail today:

Garnotte is offline   Reply With Quote