Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 05:03 AM   #3811
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
How about making an air dam over the opening at the front and channeling the hot air past the seat? Not sure if I'm explaining this clearly. I may try this with some cardboard and tape and give it a try. I'm thinking of removing the deflectors so it allows more heat to escape. When I went to the Homecoming in 2008, saw a Ulysses that had the rear master reservoir relocated. The guy claimed the master took the brunt of hot air exiting out. Makes sense.
Yea, that makes sense. Prior to the availability of the comfort kit, I relocated my rear M/C reservoir at one point. IIRC, there's a threaded boss on the back of the passenger footpeg bracket on the right side. I hung it off of that with a ~4" long x 1/2" wide x 1/8" thick piece of steel and shortened the hose accordingly. It did seem to help with the airflow.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 AM   #3812
jonathan.vtec
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
anything of u try this system for the underseat?

http://www.specialops-online.com/11401.html
jonathan.vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #3813
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.vtec View Post
anything of u try this system for the underseat?

http://www.specialops-online.com/11401.html

I've heard nothing but good things about the Spec Op blankets.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #3814
hdxbones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I made a shield today out of an aluminun baking tray. Took a short 20 mile ride, it seems to keep a lot of heat away from the seat and inner right leg. We'll see how well it holds up-

Motorcycle rich, cash strapped.....
hdxbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #3815
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRiderFC View Post
You are wearing pants, right? I mean, I just assume that you are not one of those noobs who wears shorts and flip flops. I've ridden in some pretty hot areas and while it can get pretty uncomfortable, I've not been burned by it yet. Over 35K miles on each of my two XBs, and as long as you don't put bare skin to it, you'll be fine. Plus, it's the air cooling that... wait for it... COOLs it. Try to keep moving. It's being stuck in traffic during hot weather that is most problematic.

Here's one from Mojave National Preserve last July:
Yeah I have pants on. The EBR tune I am running makes the pipes pretty hot. I am thinking about wrapping them. The worst is the 105 degree sidewinds from the left that blow all the engine heat on my right leg. The low speed limits in Arches made me want to die.
unlucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #3816
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
Yeah I have pants on. The EBR tune I am running makes the pipes pretty hot. I am thinking about wrapping them. The worst is the 105 degree sidewinds from the left that blow all the engine heat on my right leg. The low speed limits in Arches made me want to die.
Go with the Titanium wrap from DEI. I wrapped my pipes and it helped quite a bit. Plus, the Ti wrap doesn't need to be wet and no itchy arms when you're done.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #3817
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 855
I also wrapped my pipes with the exact same stuff and it does help. I saw a heat shielding from special ops I am going to get for under the sear plus a mod for bring more air up under the seat I going to try,

What I am really hinting for is skid plate and other adv accessories....or at least a pattern to make them
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:48 AM   #3818
Roostre
Discombobulated

Oddometer: 1,039
Thumb

As I said earlier in this thread; my pipes were wrapped (and it helps enormously with the heat) but the header tube split down both sides at the front bend.

I ordered a stainless mandrel bend. Here is a shot of the repair at about the halfway mark:

Used a tig and 308L rod. After welding, adding ports for wideband tuning, and a bit of polishing:

Because the wife is out of town I was able to use some high temp ceramic paint and get it 'oven' cured last night. Here is a shot of the 'test' fit:

The VHT paint was on sale at Autozone 2 for $12. It really only takes 1 can so the drummer muffler also got a fresh paint job.

So far it looks pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it holds up.
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #3819
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
Did the header wrap cause it to split?
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:17 AM   #3820
Hog Rider
The Professor

Oddometer: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I have 40,000 miles on my header wrap, with no cracking yet.

Hog Rider

IBA # 31325
AMA# 739943
Cobb
Etc..

http://carlstwowheeledadventures.blogspot.com

2006 Buell Ulysses, Current Rally Mount
1984 HD Electra Glide Classic
1977 BMW R 100/7 Cafe'
1982 Honda CBX Super Sport, Work in progress
Hog Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #3821
dean-o
Dabs often

Oddometer: 801
I'm surprised at how effective ceramic coating is!

Nitro plate in nashville did mine inside & out for $108... Local pick up. MUCH cooler ride. I did do comfort kit & race computer, but the right side isn't blazing as it once was...see post 3736
They do a dark color to, for a ill more $...
Dean
615 545 1111 texts ok
dean-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #3822
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I don't think so at this point. We rode about 280 miles yesterday on the new header. The rear cyclinder and pipe still look great. Temps on the right leg seemed better. Well worth the $6 per can so far.

The front, however has cooked this paint off. Just in the bend- the section near the flange still looks good. I will post a pic when I have time. Tending toward a conclusion that something is wrong with the front cylinder or ??? Any suggestions from the collective would be gratefully accepted.

My thought right now is to load the stock tune, repaint the header and see if it still does this.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #3823
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
For some reason changing a belt seems intimidating to me in my garage, couldn't imagine having to change it on the road.

You got this via Crapatalk
Thankfully, Erik had trackside belt replacement in mind with the XB. It's a bit of a wrestling match, but it goes quickly. Thinking about it now, I need to properly torque my axle - I sort of eyeballed it.

I checked my brake pad level before I left and it was fine... I didn't factor in 5000 additional miles. By Monument Valley on the way home, the pads were pretty much gone. I spent the last 1500 miles of the trip on mostly engine braking and rear brake. Good thing we didn't go through the Rockies on the way back, I would have missed the front brake there.

Did you guys know Amazon has some really good prices on brake pads? I bought two $10 sets because $10!
Old 06-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #3824
unlucky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostre View Post
I don't think so at this point. We rode about 280 miles yesterday on the new header. The rear cyclinder and pipe still look great. Temps on the right leg seemed better. Well worth the $6 per can so far.

The front, however has cooked this paint off. Just in the bend- the section near the flange still looks good. I will post a pic when I have time. Tending toward a conclusion that something is wrong with the front cylinder or ??? Any suggestions from the collective would be gratefully accepted.

My thought right now is to load the stock tune, repaint the header and see if it still does this.
What maps are you running now? Seems like you might have a lean front cyl or the ignition timing is too retarded on the front.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #3825
Roostre
Discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky1 View Post
What maps are you running now? Seems like you might have a lean front cyl or the ignition timing is too retarded on the front.
You know its been so long since I have messed with the tuning I'm not sure. All I know is this map is the least twitchy at low revs and idles well. Just hope I can find the cable to reload the stock map.

Here is the original split. What you cant see is the side towards the cylinder is about twice as long and really warped.

Here is the header this morning: