Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #46
brad1445
Mile High

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uselyss? XB12X
brad1445

What brand of tail pack or trunk is that? Does it fit over the back rest?
Its a 45liter Venture bag. Yes no rack needed it slid over beaver tail and tied into hand grips on and off really fast. I had it left from my Firebolt. And it can also be used with the hard bags.

brad1445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:47 PM   #47
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 347
>How realistic is the the 62mpg?
50's are more realistic

>What aftermarket windscreen options are there?
Lots: Buell, Cee Bailey, Gustaffson and more.

>How's the luggage holding up?
Better than my BMW stuff.

>Is there a trend of problems maintanence-wise on any specific >components? And if so how well is Buell addressing them?
No problems on either of my Buells.

>Tires: who else besides Dunlop makes tires that will fit those rims?
Everyone makes good 17" tires in either dual sport or sport touring treads.

>Seat comfort/ handlebar vibration's?
Best seat I've ever had.

>Potential for rock damge to pipe and belt?
Buell threw rocks in the belt during testing. Pipe is a jacking point.

>Potential for damage to oil cooler on left side if you dump it?
Who knows.

>I'm 6'3 and it seemed to fit me well, but what are your squaws saying about >the back seat? Any problem with the rear pegs for her when the luggage is >on, it looked tight.
My wife loves it.

>I'm not a sporty rider so I don't really care how far you can lean it over or >anything lke that. Reliability is my number ONE concern for my bike.

Buell comes with 2 year 24,000 warrenty. I've owned Buells since 1998. Reliability issues were solved years ago. I've had more issues with my BMW's than my Buells.

M
Milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:01 PM   #48
BladeFlap
Ex Dream Crusher

Oddometer: 344
thanks

thanks Milar,
I'm aware of how frustrating it is hearing the same old questions over and over. Been reading through the last years worth of posts and overall most of the opinions seems to echo yours in regards to reliability.
I do see one recuring gripe regarding the turn radius. I did not bother to play with it that much at the dealer. Is it really that much of a problem?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 PM   #49
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeFlap
I do see one recuring gripe regarding the turn radius. I did not bother to play with it that much at the dealer. Is it really that much of a problem?
My advice would be to demo the bike and decide for yourself. Most people that own the bike don't seem to take issue with the steering lock. People that don't own it do... go figure.

Oh and the warranty is 2 years/ unlimited miles

Cheers
Brett
Old 02-21-2006, 09:31 PM   #50
bosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
How realistic is the 62mpg?
>Not very, EPA missed the mark on this one. I get anywhere from 38 to 52.
What aftermarket windscreen options are there?

>I have the Cee-Bailey +2.5" and it's perfect. Takes all the wind blast off my chest with no buffeting at helmet level.
How's the luggage holding up?

>No problems with mine. I've heard of the latches breaking if you force them. Easily replaced.
Is there a trend of problems maintenance-wise on any specific components?

>Nothing major, the only specific I've heard about is the license plate light brackets break off. Mine has also. $8.00 part 5 minute replacement.
Tires: who else besides Dunlop makes tires that will fit those rims?

>I'm trying the Scorpion syncs when mine are used up. Lots of choices if you don't want knobbies.
Seat comfort/ handlebar vibration's?

>This is by far the most comfortable seat / motorcycle I have ever ridden on. You can spend hours and hours in that saddle, you just want to keep riding!!
Potential for rock damage to pipe and belt?

>I've heard of only one belt breaking so far. The pipe is susceptible to rust if you chip the paint off, so some maintenance is needed to keep it painted. The pipe is steel and probably stronger than a lot of the aluminum bash plates you see on some other bikes. Haven't heard of anyone crunching one yet.
Potential for damage to oil cooler on left side if you dump it?

>I've heard of a few crashes on road and off and no one yet has reported breaking the oil cooler.
I'm 6'3 and it seemed to fit me well, but what are your squaws saying about the back seat?

>I'm 6'3" also, fits me perfectly. My wife LOVES the back seat as well as the triple tail. Lots of room back there, and with hand holds too.
So much room she doesn't even touch me . I have to look every once in a while to make sure she's still back there!
Any problem with the rear pegs for her when the luggage is on, it looked tight.
>No problems, plenty of room.
I'm not a sporty rider so I don't really care how far you can lean it over or anything like that. Reliability is my number ONE concern for my bike.

>Very simple, low maintenance machine. Great warranty as well.
bosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #51
efferre
Pinguino Highlander

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by From the basketball ex-player >:-) chadhargis
5'7" is going to be tough to pull off on the Ulysses. I'm 6'5" and the bike is perfect. I have a 36" inseam, and the bike has a 35" seat height which gives me an inch between my bum and the seat if I want to stand up over the bike.
But all of you are giants!!!
Well, I've drive tested the Uly and it's not thaaaaaat tragic; ok, IT IS high, but something I think I can live with, especially 'cause don't think I will use it off-road that lot.
In any case there's the lower seat I can mount. ...even if... when visited last HD Dealer he told me his daughter was shorter than me and riding a GS1200 (degenerate daughter): "It's a matter of habit"...
Or I might increase my weight

Anyway SHE HAS TO BE MINE!!!!!!!!

BELLA LI'!!
'04 Yamaha FZ6-N Midnight Black
'98 Yamaha TDM850 Blue/Black
'94 Honda Transalp 600V Red
'91 Honda Dominator 650 White
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
efferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #52
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Got my luggage fitted today. pretty good. quite huge actually. you can't lane split with them on but we're off for the weekend now for sure!

Had to go for a quick spin this afternoon to try them out.
26c and quite superb conditions.

Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 AM   #53
bosh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Cool2

Wow. Buell should use those pictures for their catalogue.
Nice!
bosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 03:03 AM   #54
danger_dave OP
Home again

Oddometer: 3,086
Thanks - it's the place - NZ - it's hard to find a sh@tty backdrop.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:36 AM   #55
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeFlap
thanks Milar,
I'm aware of how frustrating it is hearing the same old questions over and over. Been reading through the last years worth of posts and overall most of the opinions seems to echo yours in regards to reliability.
Not for me. But I've owned a series of Ducati's. Compared to them
the Buell turns on a dime.

In general, no bike is perfect. I'll be candid. Some folks like the "flawless perfection" of Japanese bikes. Some folks like the "character" of Euro bikes. My riding buddy loves his Honda/Suzuki models and dislikes my BMW/Ducati/Buell bikes. On the other hand, I find his Hondas boring. If you are a "died in the wool" Honda guy, you should try the Buell before you buy. You might prefer a V-Strom or maybe the Tri. Tiger.

M
Milar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:23 PM   #56
Uselyss? XB12X
On The Third Coast

Oddometer: 52
brad1445

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #57
BirdmanH54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
OK, I had some time today and took out my small camera (Canon SD10) to take a few shots. Even got off the pavement for a little bit. :)

BirdmanH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:08 PM   #58
EphTwoEight
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by popsicle
i'm currently in a "discussion" with a friend who works at a HD/Buell dealership and i am telling him how skeptical i am of the exhaust position. has anyone done anything more serious than a graded gravel road? any singletrack?
If ya saw my Uly laying there on the ground, on page 2. It was big rocks the whole trail, I was sliding and running over them all day, and not hardly a dent.

In fact I like the way the pipe is under it, rather than having rocks and dirt being packed into a frame and motor everytime I take it off raod.

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
-- Cicero - 55 BC
EphTwoEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #59
BirdmanH54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I concur!

Likewise, I run through large beds of rocks that are grapefruit sized and have no issues, in fact to get one of the above shots I rolled down a granite wash. (1st and 3rd)

I had a sticker on the lower plastic but it was actually scrubbed off by dirt, sand and rocks and the bottom of the bike still looks fine. Not sure what they did but it is actually more durable than I thought.
BirdmanH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #60
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdmanH54
Likewise, I run through large beds of rocks that are grapefruit sized and have no issues, in fact to get one of the above shots I rolled down a granite wash. (1st and 3rd)

I had a sticker on the lower plastic but it was actually scrubbed off by dirt, sand and rocks and the bottom of the bike still looks fine. Not sure what they did but it is actually more durable than I thought.
You know there's other places to go around here rather than the Tortilla Flat/Roosevelt Dam ride.

Cool pics...
Cheers
Brett