ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Whammo OP
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,181
Visiting DC in May...what to do?

Hey all-
I'm planning a week in DC with the SO in May, and I was looking for some pointers on cool spots, off the beaten path attractions, or other interesting haunts, bars, hangouts and the like, preferrably within walking distance. We'll be staying on the north end of downtown btwn Lafayette park and GW university. Any bike rental places in the area?

Thanks in advance
Josh in SF
Old 02-21-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Hey all-
I'm planning a week in DC with the SO in May, and I was looking for some pointers on cool spots, off the beaten path attractions, or other interesting haunts, bars, hangouts and the like, preferrably within walking distance. We'll be staying on the north end of downtown btwn Lafayette park and GW university. Any bike rental places in the area?

Thanks in advance
Josh in SF
What kind of places do you like? Dive bars? Fancy places? Artsy stuff? DC is pretty stiff compared to SF. As for rentals, I think there might be a Harley rental place, but that's about it as far as I know. I'll be selling my GS around that time. You can buy it and ride it home
Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
Whammo OP
Nature's toothbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
What kind of places do you like? Dive bars? Fancy places? Artsy stuff? DC is pretty stiff compared to SF. As for rentals, I think there might be a Harley rental place, but that's about it as far as I know. I'll be selling my GS around that time. You can buy it and ride it home
Divey, weird, "I can't believe this place is HERE" kinda places....after seeing all the "stuff in the brouchure", I wanted to dig a little deeper.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Omi
0o0o0o

Oddometer: 4,249
For dive bars, there are lot's of good rock clubs. Blackcat, DC9, Asylum are all the standerd places. Adams Morgan is a very popular place for the preppy crowd to get loose, so it kinda sucks. The Brickskeller and RFD have amaizing beer selections. Ben's Chili Boal is a DC landmark that is good for late night food. Outside the city is Great Falls. It's a fun place to get out of the city and go climb rocks, hike around and enjoy the falls/nature and stuff. I don't know anybody that rents motorcycles in the area, so that's all I got for now.
Omi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,120
Stay home, it is much nicer, more friendly, and better weather there!

If you MUST come, all of the Smithsonian museums are free, and worthwhile, take a tour of the Mall, and the Mint.

As for bars and stuff, I avoid DC bars, and restaraunts because they are so expensive. Though, that said, I do like Georgetown for the atmosphere and college girls!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
demononthebrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Dont miss the Smithsonian museums. I was there for a couple days last year and didnt have anywhere near the time to check them all out as much as I would have liked. FREE too. Spend the $ to see the Imax movie "Fighter Pilot" in the Air and Space Museum theater I GUARANTEE you will be glad you did. Amazing!
demononthebrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #7
Whammo OP
Nature's toothbrush

Thanks for the info.
Did a whirlwind day in DC year before last on our way back from Nova Scotia and saw some of the standard stuff, but always wanted to go back. Now I've got to take the SO out someplace so I can justify my 6-weeker in August. The dive-bars sound good, as do the great beer selections. Don't need too much more of the preppy scene as the "bridge and tunnel" crowd descends on us every weekend.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Actually, the best dive bar in the world is right here. Wonderland at 11th and Kenyon in Columbia Heights. Ditto on Ben's Chili Bowl. You'll have to do that. For dinner, you can try Domku in Petworth on 9th and Upshur streets (totally random location for upscale Baltic cuisine). Near where you're staying, you should go to The Tabard Inn on Sunday night to sit by the fire and listen to live Jazz. For a good lounge that only insiders know about (there is no sign), try 18th Street Lounge above Mattress Discounters on 18th above M Street.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammo
Hey all-

Thanks in advance
Josh in SF
You have to visit the National Gallery and walk around the mall. Rent a bicycle and ride around, its more fun than walking. Hang out in georgetown at night.
You can ride all of d.c. on a bicycle, much better than riding a motorcycle. I have had so many near misses in d.c.

Visit the washington monument and go up on it. Go to the waterfront and look at all the fish for sale. I used to buy fish there all the time.

My fav thing in d.c. is riding from silver spring down the capital crescent tail and into d.c. You just ride along the potomac, do a loop and come back up. Also ride the c/o canal up to great falls.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
CityClip
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
You can ride all of d.c. on a bicycle, much better than riding a motorcycle. I have had so many near misses in d.c.
I don't feel right if I don't have at least one near miss per day. Seriously though, nearly got killed the other day when a Uhaul being chased by the cops sailed through a red light. If I were one second later, I would have been a goner.

HONDA AFRICA TWIN!! WTF!! What's up with that? Did you bring that over from Portugal?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #11
Omi
0o0o0o

18th st Lounge is cool but EXPENSIVE! I used to do shots of Patrone with the bartender that I was friends with, but when he left they charged me $18! I still get in free though.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,393
Quote:
I don't feel right if I don't have at least one near miss per day. Seriously though, nearly got killed the other day when a Uhaul being chased by the cops sailed through a red light. If I were one second later, I would have been a goner.

HONDA AFRICA TWIN!! WTF!! What's up with that? Did you bring that over from Portugal?
No its in Portugal. Check out my northern portugal road trip on the ride reports. Its a sweet bike man. I am buying another one to bring over to the states. They are cheap, and I am poor.

BTW, where is the Ethiopian ride report?
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #13
Omi
0o0o0o

Quote:

I got hit on my bicycle a few years ago. Fucker never stopped!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
The tower of the old post office is the 3rd highest structure in DC... Great views.

Since you are going to be here with the S.O... You might consider one of the dinner cruises. Spirt of Washington, the Dandy, the Oddessy, etc. Really nice views of the monuments and DC if you are into that sort of things.

Let us know when you have an exact date and maybe someone here will buy you a pint.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #15
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Don't forget to make your way out to the off-site Air and Space Mueseam in Dullas - its much bigger and wayyyyy cooler than the one in DC. The've got lots of really neat general avaition planes covering the entire history of human flight more or less. They also have the typical stuff like a space shuttle, concorde etc.

BTW IIRC they have a free bus ride from DC out to the place. I don't know of any motorcycle rentals in the area, but a bicycle is a better way to get around in the city. You might have to resort to a cage if you want to get around a little further outside the city.

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote