Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 AM   #91
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
engine oil is over rated. I just dump a few bananas into it and the emulsion more than takes care of lubrication. exhaust smells nice too.

No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:43 AM   #92
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
So, after reading through all the posts here. I am still up in the air, kind of. I have a 2010 990 and have used the motorex since I bought it new. I did however run it to 6500 miles on one oil change , little to no offroading during that time. I am about to head south for a lengthy trip. While in Latin America I do not want to have to take a trailer with oil for changes. I rode a KLR for a short time and the dealership pointed out that you don't want "vehicle" oil in the case as the sheering affects of transmission literally cuts the molecules and does not provide the lubricating properties that is required for a motorcycle engine/transmission. For those who have traveled to the far flung parts of the world, Latin America, Africa, etc.... Is it safe to assume synthetic motorcycle oil will be available pretty much wherever I ride? Sorry for the seemingly naive question, but don't really want my bike to blow on me. I have traveled throughout Latin America extensively and have ridden (rental bikes, which required nothing from me aside from money for rental) nearly every time I travel. But I have not had to deal with those kind of things in the past. So it's new territory for me. Thank you for dealing with my naivety and questions. Oh another one: are the reusable oil filters as good as a paper ones? and what kind of cleaning do they require at oil change time? Thanks again!!!
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:49 AM   #93
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
Oh another one: are the reusable oil filters as good as a paper ones? and what kind of cleaning do they require at oil change time? Thanks again!!!
Use a oil that meets the viscosity and JASO MA requirements and stop worrying about it. Every oil question on the interwebs will get you 10 different answers on which oil to use. As for what is available in South America, I can't help you there. I'm sure you can google for whatever stores are down there and the type of oil they stock.

As for the filter, they work the same, but the advantage to paper on our bikes is as a warning of a water pump failure.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #94
Scott Baja
el semental negro

Oddometer: 232
I would take the stainless oil filter. It can be cleaned with gas. As for oil on the road in Latin Am, I would probably use a diesel oil as it has closer to the same properties as motorcycle oil. Some larger cities, such as Guatemala City have KTM dealers where oil might be had. Also as a side note, if you havnt renewed your water pump shaft and all, do it before you go, or take a spare. Just my 2 cents
Scott Baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #95
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Latin America

Not too hard to find moto specific oil in Latin America, there are plenty of moto shops everywhere.

At times I was able to find full synthetic Motul, or Elf full synth, other times only semi synthetic, and at other times just straight non-synth. If I ran non-synth, I changed it out at 2000 or so miles. Dont get too picky about your oil. If its something sub standard like non-synth, just change it out when you can. When I did a water pump change in a campground in the Atacama I could find no moto specific oil and the only oil I could find was Mobil 1, which worked plenty well as it has no friction modifiers that will mess up your clutch friction plates.

Other times you have to look around for half a day, or wait until you hit the next city, but not a big deal.

As far as paper or stainless oil filter, I used paper because I like to see the waves in it if the water pump is starting to go. I kept a couple stuffed in the dash compartment along with a water pump kit, and used and replaced as necessary, just plan ahead and stockpile when you can. Not hard to do at all as there is at least one KTM dealer in every country with the exception of French Guiana, Suriname, and Guyana. There may be a couple in CA that dont have KTM shops, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, IIRC, but there are KTM shops in Guatemala City and San Salvador.

I also used the paper air filter, but with a UNI prefilter. I cleaned the UNI regularly with soap in the sink and oiled with a touch of spare engine oil and that kept the paper air filter clean enough for at least 15,000 miles.

I normally did oil changes in a parking lot, or hostal courtyard, but at times some shop owners were gracious enough to let me use some shop space which is very nice to have to do your valve check, water pump replacement, etc.

In total I did about 12 oil changes, 3 water pump changes, a couple valve checks, 2 fork services, 1 shock service, 4 paper air filters, and cleaned my UNI prefilter every couple of weeks. Never did have an issue finding what I needed, but you can plan it out, and sometimes you have to look around a bit to find what you need but its not a problem if youre flexible.

I would highly recommend that you keep up with regular water pump change intervals as it can be a pain in the ass to get oil and coolant when one fails and your far from anything.

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 03:57 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #96
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
As good as motorex might be i got sick of paying near 20 bucks for a liter of oil so i got some elf 4xt tech for half that price and I'm almost certain motorex isn't twice as good

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #97
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
Thank you very much for the advice I greatly appreciate it. Another question though, was the dealership who told me about the molecules in vehicle oil sheering from the transmission blowing air up my tail feathers to make a sale? Sounds like I'm on the right track as far as planning ahead is concerned. Traveling as much as I have done, being dropped off the side of the road somewhere in the middle of nowhere to catch another ride to nowhere, bus breakdowns and helping get it back rolling again, dealing with protests that shut towns and roads down, all my travels have taught me that flexibility is one of the biggest assets you could have while traveling. 3 1/2 weeks and counting: I'm so damn excited to get rolling on this trip. Thanks for your input!!!

Cheers,
what car??

what car?? screwed with this post 07-19-2012 at 09:04 PM
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #98
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Molecules isn't the right word, and a bit silly, but he was right about not using car oil. Car oil has additives in it that are no good for our wet clutches. Stick with a motorcycle oil, or some diesel truck oils (Rotella T). As I said above, viscosity and JASO ratings.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 PM   #99
sstewart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,054
Oil

Rotella,not many out there that runs their bike harder than me. I ride my 950 like I'm mad at it. It has a lot less noise too.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #100
avocadofarmer
Fruit Coot

Oddometer: 239
Ive been running Rotella T6 (5-40) here in the so cal summer/winter as well....ticks on hot startup sometimes but it did it just the same with the 1050.

Clean scotts filter, very minimal wear material on mag plug.

$20 / gal.
avocadofarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #101
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,974
Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice I greatly appreciate it.

Flexibility is the key to a stress free trip. 99% of the time you will be able to find something that will work for you, you just cant be picky about oil, and especially tires.

If for some strange reason you have difficulty finding moto oil, diesel oil like Rotella will generally work as well. Mobil 1 will also work because like moto and diesel oil, it does not contain friction modifiers so its safe for the wet clutch. However, there are so many motos and so many moto shops everywhere in Latin America, finding a moto specific oil is generally easy. Some folks normally run nothing but Rotella or Mobil 1 and have no issues.

Have a great trip. Latin America on a moto is an amazing experience.

This little trick will save a lot of time and mess with your oil changes on the road:

crashmaster screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 04:22 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #102
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post

Have a great trip. Latin America on a moto is an amazing experience.

This little trick will save a lot of time and mess with your oil changes on the road:

Especially the way you did your trip. Still can't get Colombia out of my mind...

Changed my oil at work the other day. I used the oil pump we use to suck the oil out of boat engines. Didn't get it all, but when I pulled the drain plug on the oil tank, there was a lot less to deal with.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 AM   #103
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post
Molecules isn't the right word, and a bit silly, but he was right about not using car oil. Car oil has additives in it that are no good for our wet clutches. Stick with a motorcycle oil, or some diesel truck oils (Rotella T). As I said above, viscosity and JASO ratings.
Ive run car oil with wet clutches, no issues.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 AM   #104
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
CJ DESIGNS LC8 OIL DRAIN HOSE KIT

Click To Enlarge

• Item #: CJD-ODH-KIT

CJ DESIGNS LC8 OIL DRAIN HOSE KIT
Stop dreading that next oil change on your KTM Adventure. This kit bolts on after a modification to the tank bracket. Do this once and be ready for much faster and easier oil changes.

Now just drop the skid plate (no need to remove the fuel tank). Pull the sump plug and hose plug, and let drain. Swap and clean filters and re-install plugs.

The fittings for this kit are available in blue, black or orange but are proving to be hard to find on a consistent basis so some may be out of stock from time to time. We're working on getting a more consistent supply of parts to build this kit with. This kit uses braided stainless steel hose with a plastic cover so that it won't damage anything it rubs on.

Included is a paper template so you know how much to remove from the tank bracket. Remove 2 tank bolts, and 2 bracket mounting bolts. Install tank fitting, then hose. Fit template over corner of bracket and trace on RED line. Trim that area away and reinstall bracket. Zip tie up out of the way with included zip tie. THIS LITTLE BEAUTY WILL SAVE YOU HUGE AMOUNTS OF TIME ON ALL YOUR OIL CHANGES, I LOVE MINE!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #105
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Ive run car oil with wet clutches, no issues.
And others have and have had clogged jets. I don't care what people run, just answering questions and the reason for ratings. I'm sure you could get away with anything that lubricates and doesn't break down under heat. IMO, Rotella which is half the price of 1 quart of Motorex for 4 quarts works great, meets the proper specs, doesn't have car additives, and is available everywhere there is a Wal-Mart...which covers my area of riding very well. YMMV.

But everyone is going to have their own opinion on this.