User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #106
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
Crash,

Thanks for the information. Are you running a 990 or 950? I was curious about a high front fender kit as I plan on a lot of off tarmac riding. Notice you're running standard fender, any issues with mud collection? Every time I have traveled to Latin America I rented bikes, now time to ride my own and have the ability to go wherever I choose without time restrictions.

Another question:

I used to own a '02 Subaru and ran Valvoline fully synthetic oil and was changing oil at the 13,000-15,000 mile mark with no damage to the engine. I verified this by monthly compression and oil pressure checks. Why does it seem that does not apply, or at least seems like it, with motorcycles? If you run your bike to 6-8000 miles are you asking for serious issues? I'm sure there will be a reply about the dirt that gets in from running on dirt roads, but I ran many dirt roads in the Subaru without issue.

Thanks again for the information.
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #107
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
Crash,

Thanks for the information. Are you running a 990 or 950? I was curious about a high front fender kit as I plan on a lot of off tarmac riding. Notice you're running standard fender, any issues with mud collection? Every time I have traveled to Latin America I rented bikes, now time to ride my own and have the ability to go wherever I choose without time restrictions.

Another question:

I used to own a '02 Subaru and ran Valvoline fully synthetic oil and was changing oil at the 13,000-15,000 mile mark with no damage to the engine. I verified this by monthly compression and oil pressure checks. Why does it seem that does not apply, or at least seems like it, with motorcycles? If you run your bike to 6-8000 miles are you asking for serious issues? I'm sure there will be a reply about the dirt that gets in from running on dirt roads, but I ran many dirt roads in the Subaru without issue.

Thanks again for the information.
In part because the bikes have a wet clutch, and also because they've got much tighter tolerances generally than car motors in general and subaru motors specifically.
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #108
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 357
"they've got much tighter tolerances generally than car motors in general and subaru motors specifically'"

Sorry but I don't buy that statement. In all my professional wrenching, the "loosest" engines I came across were American vehicles. I believe European and Asian engines have the greatest longevity because of such stringent tolerances. I have seen numerous engines from Europe and Asian in excess of 300,000 + miles. I have only seen a few American engines lasting that long. I have torn down countless engines from European, Asian, and American autos. Though I can believe the tolerances in motorcycles to be higher than vehicles in general, as well as the wet clutch which of course vehicle engines do not have, but I have never torn down a motorcycle engine and taken a micrometer to one.

Customer came in with a peculiar rattle from the engine from a Saab 900. He stated he just had the engine rebuilt from a local machine shop, followed their 'break in' procedure to a "T", but had a noise that was disconcerting to him. Found out it was a piston skirt issue. Pulled the engine and started in with the mic, loose. Called up the machine shop: after much discussion, I found they build their engines with specification more in line with how American engines are built, IE... loose. Guy sold his engine, we found another and had a better machine shop build it with specifications that was agreed upon with customer and I. Customer stated he felt the 'new' engine of our specs was stronger and of course no noise. I'm not an engineer or anything like that, but I feel the Europeans build the best engines out there. But of course these are just opinions and YMMV. But now getting off topic...
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #109
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by what car?? View Post
"they've got much tighter tolerances generally than car motors in general and subaru motors specifically'"

Sorry but I don't buy that statement. In all my professional wrenching, the "loosest" engines I came across were American vehicles. I believe European and Asian engines have the greatest longevity because of such stringent tolerances. I have seen numerous engines from Europe and Asian in excess of 300,000 + miles. I have only seen a few American engines lasting that long. I have torn down countless engines from European, Asian, and American autos. Though I can believe the tolerances in motorcycles to be higher than vehicles in general, as well as the wet clutch which of course vehicle engines do not have, but I have never torn down a motorcycle engine and taken a micrometer to one.
Dude your dense... I was saying that they are tighter and need a higher quality oil than a car. You specifically mentioned your subaru going 10,000+ if you own a subaru like you say you do, and are a mechanic you'd know they aren't the tightest and quietest motors. I've own a modified WRX and wrench on modded wrx's and STI's on a regular.

I don't think you'd go 10,000 miles between changes in your ferrari? The 950/990 motor is allot closer to a race motor than a fucking oil cooled dry clutched BMW motor for instance.

Outside of all of this, the clutch is bathed in the engine oil each time you use the clutch you add contamination to the oil. On slow rides with lots of clutch the oil will be damn near black after words even if it was fresh before the ride.

Also you state with no damage that you verified with compression checks, last time I checked compression checks don't show you anything when it comes to bearing wear
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 AM   #110
Balder681
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hi guys,

I have a 990 Adventure and would like to use some full synthetic longtime/longlife oil that lasts longer on my lovely bike. I do know it's better to change it more regularly and surely it's not about the price, but I am a practical person and I'd like to ride longer and not sit to change oil every few thousand kms. Of course it depends how I am driving my bike, but isn't there a way to increase the oil change at 10-15000km without any big negative impact on the engine?

And another question: if the water pump is not sealed and cooling fluid comes into the engine, how big is the impact on the engine oil and it's ability to lubricate? I am aware it's ruining the paper oil filter and from there oil pressure is lost and etc etc. But what if I have the oil filter from scotts? How long can I drive with getting cooling fluid in the engine oil without any serious impact on the engine? There are special oils for boat engines, which are not affected in their lubrication abilities even if water comes into the engine. How appropriate is such an engine oil for the LC8?I don't wanna get stuck with this problem in the deep jungle and having no alternative to get to the next civilized place...

Appreciate the answers in advance,
Nik.
Balder681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 AM   #111
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,675
I believe that frequent oil changes are the most important maintenance you can do to extend engine life.

I change every 3000 miles, even with full synthetic.

If I found water in my oil while in a remote area, I think I would change it for whatever oil I could find, as many times as necessary, until I got back to civilization.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #112
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
I'm just gonna keep using motul 300v in the 10w-60 flavor. Oil is cheaper than a motor
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #113
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
In total I did about 12 oil changes, 3 water pump changes, a couple valve checks, 2 fork services, 1 shock service, 4 paper air filters, and cleaned my UNI prefilter every couple of weeks. Never did have an issue finding what I needed, but you can plan it out, and sometimes you have to look around a bit to find what you need but its not a problem if youre flexible.

I would highly recommend that you keep up with regular water pump change intervals as it can be a pain in the ass to get oil and coolant when one fails and your far from anything.
Sorry, off topic here... but 3 water pump changes in one (albeit huge) trip? I'm flabbergasted... are they really that bad? Why not get the CJ 3 year/36k mile one? Still not trustworthy? I'm judging by your 12 oil changes, that you rode between 30k and 40k miles... and needed 3 water pumps? That's a bit disappointing.

Sorry for the sidetrack... but I was floored by the thought of 10k mile water pumps (new here, and I guess I didn't realize they were that bad).
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #114
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Sorry, off topic here... but 3 water pump changes in one (albeit huge) trip? I'm flabbergasted... are they really that bad? Why not get the CJ 3 year/36k mile one? Still not trustworthy? I'm judging by your 12 oil changes, that you rode between 30k and 40k miles... and needed 3 water pumps? That's a bit disappointing.

Sorry for the sidetrack... but I was floored by the thought of 10k mile water pumps (new here, and I guess I didn't realize they were that bad).
They're not. I'm guessing crashmaster was being very proactive on a big trip. Can't say I blame him. It's easier to maintain than repair- especially on the road.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #115
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Snips View Post
I'm just gonna keep using motul 300v in the 10w-60 flavor. Oil is cheaper than a motor
This is in by top two oils but it needs to be the 300 v double ester. Good stuff change it ever 3000 miles or less and it will last
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #116
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,052
I was using a class V triple ester 10-50. Surprisingly, after a UOA by Blackstone, the shear was more then my class IV syn 10-40 oil I used prior. Again, according to Blackstone. I was a bit taken back by those results. 1,500 miles on the oils with shared sump. The larger the spread the harder it is to stay in grade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:42 PM   #117
Pismo950
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
M1 15/50

Just bought a 990 with 5K miles and am going to change the oil for the first time.
Read through the oil thread – still confused about the best way to go.
I have always been happy with Mobile 1 full syn so I figured I’d go with the M1 15/50 but wanted to make sure I was getting the right oil as there is no mention of 4T.

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-94002-15...bile+1+15%2F50
Pismo950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #118
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,030
Thats what I run

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote