User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2006, 01:28 PM   #1
pistilpete OP
smilin n the ozarks

Oddometer: 49
Question alternator output

Anyone know what the output on a 950 05 alt is? I need more gadgets to make my gs friends a little more pissed than already are. Im running an xm radio off a 12v plug. Want some big nasty lights mounted on my new crashbars (recently tested and highly recomended). Any suggestions?
pistilpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #2
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
alternator output for 950

450 Watts

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
At 6000 rpm.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Louge
silence of the limbs

Oddometer: 1,554
Wink Tip for extending the modest 450W capacity

Run your electrical clothing Powerlet through a 15A relay's NC contact. Actuate the relay from your neutral light.

The 50 to 100W 'lectrics draw is taken offline when you need it the least and your charging system is in the most compromised position to support it.

I wired Paul Taylor's Iron Butt winning GS like this.
Louge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #5
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louge
Run your electrical clothing Powerlet through a 15A relay's NC contact. Actuate the relay from your neutral light.

The 50 to 100W 'lectrics draw is taken offline when you need it the least and your charging system is in the most compromised position to support it.

I wired Paul Taylor's Iron Butt winning GS like this.
Okay, now that sounds like a smart idea. : thumb
You know, the kind of thing any of us would have thought of if we were as smart as we like to think we are.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
MY ADV
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louge
I connected my Gerbing power outlet directly to the braided leads coming from the battery terminal to the access panel lid. I was able to disconnect the leads and screw the eye terminals underneath the braided wires. Works slick and I didn’t have to interrupt the power to the rest of the motorcycle. I then routed the lead on the left side up the little compartment between the tanks. This allows me to connect an extension cable to the power outlet and close the lid as well. Plus I connect my batter charger to the power outlet and this keeps my battery fresh.

My ADV

2012 KTM 990R ADV (20.0K Miles and growing)
2005.5 KTM 950A ADV (106K Miles to its death by way of truck)
2005 KTM 450 EX-G (Plate)
MY ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
Texmoto1
Adventure Berzerker

Oddometer: 274
Can someone confirm that the total output for the 950 is only 450W. I find that hard to believe since my DRZ400 is said to boast a 500W alternator and the BMW GS a 650W. If it is 450W what is the remaining spare watage after you take into account running the engine and lights etc? Anybody here drain their battery due to running an electric vest, hangrips and say a set of fog lights?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Colorado
Trail Boss

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texmoto1
Can someone confirm that the total output for the 950 is only 450W. I find that hard to believe since my DRZ400 is said to boast a 500W alternator and the BMW GS a 650W. If it is 450W what is the remaining spare watage after you take into account running the engine and lights etc? Anybody here drain their battery due to running an electric vest, hangrips and say a set of fog lights?
450W is more than enough I'm sure. My KLR has on 280W and I run heated grips and a heated vest no problem.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
Flatslide
The Dutch

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Measure the Amperage whit all electronics on.
devide 450W tru 13V and u know whats left on amps....

Example: 450W devide tru 13V = +/- 34amps max

so if your bike pulls about 25Amp, youve got 9amp spare (=9X13=117Watt spare) for example......

Beaware when you sucking the electricity to the max, it will result in a Big ballast to your altenator and rectifier/ diods enz.....
resulting over a long time......meltdown
Flatslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:18 AM   #10
MY ADV
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
I run my Aux light 100% of the time, and I have used my Gerbings heated vest and gloves all winter long. I ride and average of 75+ miles each day to work and haven’t had a single glitch with the electrical system, even when I have to turn the temp up on my vest to over come the frigid 20+ deg. Days. The battery stays strong.

2012 KTM 990R ADV (20.0K Miles and growing)
2005.5 KTM 950A ADV (106K Miles to its death by way of truck)
2005 KTM 450 EX-G (Plate)
MY ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Since the KTM is carbureted, there is significantly less draw for the ecm, injectors/pump. I have a DRZ 400 and it doesn't put out anywhere near 500w??? The 450w should be ample. I have a Guzzi Quota and it is only 350w at 4,000rpm. I can run elec clothing, but I don't play with aux lighting...
I am purchasing a friends 04 950S and putting a sidecar on the Quota...
Bert Fox
www.gnatsass.net
Find us on Facebook. GNATSASS
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 10:50 AM   #12
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
Pissed Had to push start my Strom

Ive got a set if PIAA fogs and it seems that if I dont maintain a sufficent speed I loose the charge to my battery. I am talking slow speeds here. 10-20 mph. Fortunate for me I was with a friend and with a slight downhill and a little traction it turned over. Lucky as we were way out there on a closed to motorcyles road. ATVs OK but no bikes! Who comes up with this shit!
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
KNASRAM
Kurt

Oddometer: 28
950SE have same alternator

does the SE have the same alternator and therefore also have 450 watts?
thx
KNASRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
my DRZ400 is said to boast a 500W alternator
I'd be surprised if it was even putting out half that - where did you get this figure? I would go and dig out the Clymer manual for my DRZ, but I can't be arsed.....
450 watts is ample for running heated grips, vest, etc. If you've got loads of gear installed then it would be a good idea to fit a voltmeter and switch things off for low speed work.
I've got a 5 pin relay waiting to be fitted into the feed for my accesory fuse block - the neutral cut-off isn't too difficult to wire if you've got a wiring diagram for the bike.

KTM 990 rider and proud of it!!

950 adventure gone, but not forgotten.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #15
Essjay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
I'd be interested to know the numbers for the 990 if anyone has them.

I have the VStrom 1000 that apparently puts out 480w which is not enough by any means. Means I can only run fogs and a vest, no heated grips. Then when you start adding GPS, intercom, radio. I had to practically replace most of my lights with LEDs (bar the driving lights) to save a couple of watts here and there.

I'd be surprised if the 990 only has 450 considering the GSA has a 750w alternator or something.

R1100GS
Essjay is offline   Reply With Quote