ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
Mugwest OP

Oddometer: 5,972
shooting locations in SE

OK, i'll post this here first, then in JM where it'll certainly get moved:

i'm in the early stage of planning a video project-- i need to find a location in the southeast US that can somewhat double for the green Pacific Northwest (think: temperate semi-rainforest, lotsa green, ferns etc).

I have'nt been in N Georgia since i was a kid, but my gut says i might can find something similar to the PNW in GA, NC.... how 'bout it? Time of year will dictate, no doubt.

It's a budget thing-- no question of shooting in the PNW. Has to be on this side of the country.

Thoughts??

Your buddy,

MRP
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:00 PM   #2
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,042
Hmm, some places in southwestern VA come to mind... like the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area. That part of the state gets alot of annual precip hence the green-ness. As for the GA mtns, there may be some spots there too.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:55 PM   #3
Mugwest OP

Oddometer: 5,972
thanks FM-- have family peoples in Roanoke, will check it out

MRP
Mugwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
BirdmanH54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Savannah, GA and Southern SC, both have a film commerce group that will help you find what you need.

Just about everything outside for Forest Gump was shot in the area including the Vietnam shots.
BirdmanH54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:58 AM   #5
MATTMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
You might have trouble depending upon your shots and how accurate you want to be. The trees are different in the PNW and the south east has a serious lack of mountians.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTMAN
You might have trouble depending upon your shots and how accurate you want to be. The trees are different in the PNW and the south east has a serious lack of mountians.
Yeah, we only have little mole hills. We may not have Mt. Ranier or Mt. Saint Helens, but boy... you got a purty mouth. You best stick to your northern Vaginya cesspool of humanity and stay outta our hills. I grew up in Reston so I'm qualified to give you a little shit. Still have cousins in Fairfax.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
tropical?

Norht Carolina SR-1115 - from Robbinsville up to Dentons and beyond. The part past Dentons is always damp and green.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #8
Kapn
rarely home

Oddometer: 76
Try the Chatooga River

The area around the Chattooga river is pretty much like what I've seen around the Olympic Penn. Except that you won't find sweeping vistas complete with snow covered mountains. However, for heavily wooded, temperate rainforests with pines and rock outcroppings, it would be a good match.

Only about 2 hours north of ATL too.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #9
MATTMAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Yeah, we only have little mole hills. We may not have Mt. Ranier or Mt. Saint Helens, but boy... you got a purty mouth. You best stick to your northern Vaginya cesspool of humanity and stay outta our hills. I grew up in Reston so I'm qualified to give you a little shit. Still have cousins in Fairfax.
Now that you live in Tennesse, do want to to screw the cousins in Reston ?

I've lived in a bunch of places, including Tennesee.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
EVILONE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
I have never been to the PNW,But,there are alot of good forest land near Damascus,VA.The Va Creeper Trail,App. Trail,or the Sout Mountian State Park in NC.
EVILONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #11
MtnBikeHer
if it has two wheels....

Oddometer: 19
Transylvania!

Check out Transylvania County, NC. Its the land of waterfalls and my guess is the closest you can get in the SE to being in the Pacific northwest. Beautiful area full of national forest- tons of mountains and waterfalls, North Carolinas own rainforest (really!)
MtnBikeHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #12
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 749
Plenty of wet areas in the southern appalachians. 90 to 100 inches of precip annually through much of western North Carolina, lots of waterfalls, lush vegetation, etc. Depending on what you're trying to capture on film you may have a problem: nothing here really resembles the PNW rainforests - veg is completely different.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
BobCWNC
Orange lithotripter

Oddometer: 13,041
You might also try Joyce Kilmer Forest ouside of Robbinsville NC too. Always wet and the biggest trees in the southern appalacahians AFAIK. Plus it's at one end of the Cherahola.
BobCWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:11 PM   #14
GaelicDog
Lesser of Two Weasels

Oddometer: 7,322
Fall Creek Falls State Park in Tennessee. Several movies shot there as was the Jungle Book Movie.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GaelicDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #15
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCWNC
You might also try Joyce Kilmer Forest ouside of Robbinsville NC too. Always wet and the biggest trees in the southern appalacahians AFAIK. Plus it's at one end of the Cherahola.
And the only 'old growth' forest.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote