ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
I came too close, though I know there are some here who've come closer.

I've thought about it a lot lately, and, though I still couldn't say all that I'd want, I do know that I'd want those I love to KNOW I loved them, and to have not left a burden of any sort for them.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #17
NoMystery
Jesse's Girl

Oddometer: 9,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Ware
Vance, are you like...yer know..."proportionate"...just asking

JH says so.

- - - the high - - - - - - - -

NoMystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #18
dragoon
I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer: 23,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Seriously? Just put a picture of my smiling ass up on a wall and have a party with the insurance money. Donate all of my good body parts to people who need them. Remove all eveidence that I ever existed from jennys life and tell her to get on with hers because I will definitely be going to the movies with some hottie on the other side.

Fuck graves. If everyone were burried in a marked grave, we would eventually have no real estate left right? Burn me and dump me where you will. Don't let jenny do it either. She'll just be crying and crap and save the container and bla bla. Steal me off the shelf while she is drunk at the wake party and this is your approval. Open the urn where you will.

I'd miss you all but hope that you would just ride on and eat pie.
Saved. I'll leave this on the mantle when I take the urn.

daveology rule #143 - never ever pass up a chance to hear a band that has a stand up bass -Mutineer
dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:40 PM   #19
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance
Seriously? Just put a picture of my smiling ass up on a wall and have a party with the insurance money. Donate all of my good body parts to people who need them. Remove all eveidence that I ever existed from jennys life and tell her to get on with hers because I will definitely be going to the movies with some hottie on the other side.

Fuck graves. If everyone were burried in a marked grave, we would eventually have no real estate left right? Burn me and dump me where you will. Don't let jenny do it either. She'll just be crying and crap and save the container and bla bla. Steal me off the shelf while she is drunk at the wake party and this is your approval. Open the urn where you will.

I'd miss you all but hope that you would just ride on and eat pie.

sums it up perfectly.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead
I came too close, though I know there are some here who've come closer.

I've thought about it a lot lately, and, though I still couldn't say all that I'd want, I do know that I'd want those I love to KNOW I loved them, and to have not left a burden of any sort for them.
i completely agree. it's one thing to kidd around about it, or to make a statement light heartedly. that changes a little when you get into a situation where you believe it's the very last moment of your last ride in this life.

there's no time to even really think about it then, everything happens in a flash and if it wasn't for sensory distortion and the perception of slow motion for just a fraction of a second-there wouldn't even be time for that realization to set in.

i would want everyone to know that, even though i may not have been ready to throw in the towel quite yet, at least i went doing what i loved, wether it's work or riding....

hopefully there'd be some re-useable parts, burn the rest and set the ashes free in the mountains. if anyone remembers, elevenmile canyon, overlooking my favorite fishing hole would be my first choice. if not, no big deal; let the wind take it wherever, just as long as i'm not tied down in one spot somewhere.

one thing i've been pondering quite a bit is a living will. i'm not really at ease quite yet with my mortality, but i know now more than ever that it's inevitable. the thing that scares me more than death, is to be a vegetable. no thanks. if there's no chance of a meaningful recovery, i don't want to drag it out. life support by artificial means is alright as long as it's efficient to preserve donor materials for productive harvesting. i just can't see dragging on for months and months, and continuing to destroy one's loved ones.

i have a lot of passion for life and everything in it; make the most of every day folks, it can be over just that quickly.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:11 PM   #21
Meathead
tin man

Oddometer: 16,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
that changes a little when you get into a situation where you believe it's the very last moment of your last ride in this life.

there's no time to even really think about it then, everything happens in a flash and if it wasn't for sensory distortion and the perception of slow motion for just a fraction of a second-there wouldn't even be time for that realization to set in.
I didn't have that. My whole wreck is blacked out. I don't remember anything until 3 or 4 days later, and even then the memories are really spotty. I didn't realize how close I'd come until a week or so later. Even then, I still really didn't understand. It's something that's STILL hitting me piece by piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings
one thing i've been pondering quite a bit is a living will. i'm not really at ease quite yet with my mortality, but i know now more than ever that it's inevitable. the thing that scares me more than death, is to be a vegetable. no thanks. if there's no chance of a meaningful recovery, i don't want to drag it out. life support by artificial means is alright as long as it's efficient to preserve donor materials for productive harvesting. i just can't see dragging on for months and months, and continuing to destroy one's loved ones.
I've thought quite a bit about the living will, as well, but haven't done it yet. I've vowed to do so before I begin riding again.

As for becoming a vegetable, (I HATE that terminology) my brother has been instructed not to allow me to be left in that condition. Like you, I'd rather be gone.
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:18 PM   #22
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 936
I've told my wife that if I die riding I want her to do this:

cremate me;
take my ashes in the pickup;
head up my favorite bit of twisties close to the house;
do this during rush hour and go real slow;
wait for a big line of traffic to form up behind the pick-up;
let my ashes fly so that they fall on the cages lined up behind her;
then yell "That's a dead guy - one ya'll were always slowing down going over this hill."

Figure it would be a weird kind of revenge for the all the times I got
stuck behind incompetent drivers going over the mountain.

dave

strommin screwed with this post 02-25-2006 at 06:24 PM
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
NoMystery
Jesse's Girl

WHY is this in Regional?

Never go to sleep (or RIDE) mad. That's why I'm such a peacemaker by nature, how awful would it be to have "unfinished business" with someone who doesn't come home from a ride. Or to be that rider, who left in a huff.
Everyone's day will come, and the best we can do is appreciate every day as the gift that it is!

Old 02-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #24
strommin
bending light

Oddometer: 936
fixt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMystery
WHY is this in East Regional?
'cause only the good die young.
strommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #25
NoMystery
Jesse's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin
'cause only the good die young.
I'm in trouble

I need to do somethin bad quick

Old 02-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #26
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
I want you guys to put a cross where I died and light it on FIRE.

Right there at Tasker's Gap?

Should we pull the R1 out of the mud and burn that, too?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:59 PM   #27
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
Right there at Tasker's Gap?
Should we pull the R1 out of the mud and burn that, too?
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:31 PM   #28
moto mike
who needs a front wheel ?

Oddometer: 363
My wife has been instructed to cremate me and throw may ashes into gravity cavity at Una Fucken Dilla....

motorcycling is not a hobby, it's a passion
07 x challenge SOLD down to two bikes that sucks
07 1000 v-strom
06 honda crf250x
02 go-ped
It's all about motor bikes, always has been, always will be. (Long way down)
moto mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:06 AM   #29
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Whatever happens, please, under no circumstances, do not use the phrase, "at least he died doing what he loved." I don't want to die doing what I love. I want to live doing what I love. Just get everyone together, knock back a few Sierra Nevadas or Tupper's Hop Pockets... maybe a few belgians... Just don't say I died doing what I loved.

Get a living will and a medical power of atty if you love your loved ones. Don't end up putting your friends/family through a Terry Schiavo situation (yeah that is the extreme, but there are lesser cases much more frequently). If you have an opinion, get it in writing and make sure your friends loved ones know about it.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:15 PM   #30
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macster
I'd prefer to be buried in a hot supermodel.
Fixst for my enjoyment

This really belongs in JoMammy.

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote