User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
fraser valley viewpoints

The Fraser valley east of Vancouver is the destination for day rides out of Vancouver. Sportbikers, Cruiser dudes and others regularly ride the paved roads in this rural area. Adventure bikers can also take advantage of the numerous logging and forest service roads radiating into the mountains. For adventure riders heading to Harrison lake for a day trip, here is a scenic side trip. This route is best suited for thumpers although some of the more creative big traillie boys would make it easily. I did this ride on my atv but my goal is to show the local adv riders some great spots.

The Norrish creek road system is just east of Hatzic. Take Hawkins Pickle road off Hwy 7 and follow it until it heads north. Keep heading north where it turns east. This will take you on to the Norrish creek forest service road. If you like twisty dirt roads, you are in for a treat - lots of wide corners to practice your power slides. After a while you will pass a water treatment plant on you left - keep going and take the first sharp right just pass the heavily barricaded gate to the chlorine plant. Follow this rough but well graded road past waterfalls and views to the creek below.

my brother can't believe how well the little 250 Ozarks handle steep roads paved with big crushed rock. It was a cool day so the waterfalls were still frozen.
After a few kms the road forks up to the left to an active logging area. This steep spur wouldn't usually be interesting but the panoramic view of the Cascade mountains makes it worthwhile.

The floor of the Fraser Valley is slightly above sea level and the surrounding mountains reach as high as 7500' - makes for great scenery - even on grey days.

Returning back the same way, head back on to the same road but go sharp left then follow another left to a narrow tree lined rough road. This section will be a bit rough for big bikes but it's not to steep or muddy. Careful at the end - a sharp left - as the dropoff is only about 50' from the corner. Yahoos could run into trouble

The view looking west over the Fraser River towards Mission show the interesting landscape that leaps from the plains of the Fraser Valley.

We still had some time after the viewpoints so we decided to carry on along the main Norrish Creek road. We ran into snow as the road climbed and we were glad we had atv's while traversing frozen potholes in the tight corners.

Well, the atv's are ok in dry snow, but they are not snowmobiles, so we turned around after awhile and rode back down. We checked out a road system directly behind the water treatment plant(to the west) and quickly ascended into the sonow in an active loggin area. This road was a hoot and we slalomed our quads up the twisty road until the snow got too deep.

The descent was just as much fun and the return to the starting point was a blast as there was NOBODY else around. We didn't see one other human until we were loading up for the day
dr650bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Lookin' good.. at least you're can go 4 wheelin' when you can't be on 2 wheels!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Lookin' good.. at least you're can go 4 wheelin' when you can't be on 2 wheels!
That was the whole idea of getting the Ozark. I don't ride the V-Strom much in the winter as all the interesting riding is east of the Fraser Valley which gets way more snow than our little corner of the province.

The atv helps keep the winter blahs at bay
Old 02-26-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Got any tracks?

I live an hour south of you in WA state. I know there's lots of great trails just N of the 49th. I'd love to visit a few on my 640. Some GPS tracks would be enough to get me all over those mtns.
I've ridden the Fraser canyon on the roadie, too. Thence up thru Lilooet and to Whistler and around the Sea to Sky hiway. I'd been thinking this summer might be a good time to make a trip, before the road ministry starts "improvements" for the 2010 Olympics. Watching the news, it looks like "improvements" have already started. Oh, well, they won't change anything in the Okanagan, and there's lots on that side, too!
Thanks for the RR

Cheers!

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
dr650bc OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I live an hour south of you in WA state. I know there's lots of great trails just N of the 49th. I'd love to visit a few on my 640. Some GPS tracks would be enough to get me all over those mtns.
I've ridden the Fraser canyon on the roadie, too. Thence up thru Lilooet and to Whistler and around the Sea to Sky hiway. I'd been thinking this summer might be a good time to make a trip, before the road ministry starts "improvements" for the 2010 Olympics. Watching the news, it looks like "improvements" have already started. Oh, well, they won't change anything in the Okanagan, and there's lots on that side, too!
Thanks for the RR

Cheers!
Thanks hammer
feel free to pm anytime you want to do a day ride or overnighter - I am always looking for excuses to ride. I am self-employed so I can ride during the week as well.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr650bc
Thanks hammer
feel free to pm anytime you want to do a day ride or overnighter - I am always looking for excuses to ride. I am self-employed so I can ride during the week as well.
I have summers off, teaching is my vocation. Going ot Baja June ~12 thru July ~1, but I'll want to get my callouses sooner. Standing on trials pegs don' get it. I'll PM ya now, just to liven the contact

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:10 PM   #7
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Here's another great picture of the Frasier River Valley. Albiet a little higher up (Near Hell's Gate) last summer.

Can't wait to get back up there again.

Doc

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Ah Beautiful British Columbia. We are blessed dudes.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:31 AM   #9
d0gWateR
Goat Stuntaz DSMC

Oddometer: 463
C'mon up!

There are rides pretty much every week year round, check out www.dualsportbc.com/forums . There is a "Rides this week Vancouver" forum that pretty much covers all the Fraser Valley. There is also "major" rides and events posted there as well for rides we organize for Kamloops, Chilcotin, Okanagan etc..

See ya on the trails.

Cambodia 2013 Blog
d0gWateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #10
Stepchld
Peanut Butter

Oddometer: 1,121
Went to a small school in Comfort, Texas with some guys from the Frasier Valley, they always talked about how beautiful it was and after seeing your pics, I must say they were right. Nice pics and story
Stepchld is offline   Reply With Quote