User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
jmf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Tire repair kit

A couple weeks ago I was doing some commando off road riding with the GF on back. Upon getting back on the pavement the bike felt loose. I initially thought it was because being a very windy day it was just the wind. Before turning on a main highway I stopped to give the tires a quick look. All looked well so I motor on. A few miles later I pulled into the GF drive and immediately could tell the rear of the GS was setting low. The tire was half down. Unloaded Kelly and got my self home about a mile away.

I have had a few flats on tube tires but never a tubeless. First time for everything and as I quickly found out a good thing my first was in my driveway. Found a cut in the tire no screw or nail just a cut .Got out my BMW plug kit, the same kit that used to come on BMW bikes

Used the insertion tool to ream the hole a bit and proceed to do some plugging. Turns out the BMW special cement wasn’t special anymore. Guess it has short a shelf life. Or I could of missed the BMW comcept altogether. At any rate I got it plugged but was not satisfied the plug would hold. That was lesson #1

Lesson #2 the 3 co2 cartridges supplied a total of 21 PSI. Not so good.

From reading this forum I got the following ideas.

After some searching I ordered some plugs from http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

Bought a cheap Campbell Hausfeld inflator ($9.96) The one without the built in gauge. Striped off the plastic. Soldered on some clips to connect to the battery.

Put every thing along with a tire gauge, reamer from BMW kit and knife in a small nylon pouch.

Glad I didn’t need this 1000 miles from home in the middle of nowhere.
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I also carry a couple of big-ass, thick, heavy duty patches that are meant for the inside of a tire in case I get a bad cut.
They cost squat and take up no space.

Safety Seal used to make/market 'industrial or truck' plugs which were/are the same, only longer. Buy those, cut em in 1/2, have double the inventory...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Tire repair kit

Yeah!! You got it right. I use an el cheapo CH, 10 dollar compressor with the plastic stuff stripped off for compactness. Works great!! I buy new plugs once a year just so they're fresh and will work if I need them. Plugs are, what, three bucks?

The CO2 carts are OK, but I want a compressor. What happens if your first tire plugs don't work and you run out of CO2 carts? With a compressor, you can re-plug and re-inflate. Sometimes you need to pump a tire up to FIND the leak in order to repair it. With CO2, you may run out before you locate the leak. A small, compact compressor is DEFINITELY the way to go. Infinite air (until your battery goes dead :) .
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Any of you guys ever use Ride On? I've had good luck with it. Basically slime without the mess and it works rather well. I still would like a kit to keep as a backup though.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
Any of you guys ever use Ride On? I've had good luck with it. Basically slime without the mess and it works rather well. I still would like a kit to keep as a backup though.
I used it a couple of times long ago with no ill effects. It sounds good, but I'm not sure if I really received the benefits for the type of riding I did during that time.

I've only picked 1 flat (a nail) within 150k miles on the GS anyway.
Old 02-26-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Oddometer: 10,470
Don't forget to bring a small spray bottle of soapy water so you can find the leak. DAMHIK

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Buzzez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzez
Don't forget to bring a small spray bottle of soapy water so you can find the leak. DAMHIK
Do you carry one of those when you ride?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #8
Buzzez
Wind Powered

I do now.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Old 02-26-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Lone Rider

Quote:
I do now.
Where do you carry it?
Old 02-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
Gasket
Wandering Samurai

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmf
A couple weeks ago I was doing some commando off road riding with the GF on back. Upon getting back on the pavement the bike felt loose. I initially thought it was because being a very windy day it was just the wind. Before turning on a main highway I stopped to give the tires a quick look. All looked well so I motor on. A few miles later I pulled into the GF drive and immediately could tell the rear of the GS was setting low. The tire was half down. Unloaded Kelly and got my self home about a mile away.

I have had a few flats on tube tires but never a tubeless. First time for everything and as I quickly found out a good thing my first was in my driveway. Found a cut in the tire no screw or nail just a cut .Got out my BMW plug kit, the same kit that used to come on BMW bikes

Used the insertion tool to ream the hole a bit and proceed to do some plugging. Turns out the BMW special cement wasn’t special anymore. Guess it has short a shelf life. Or I could of missed the BMW comcept altogether. At any rate I got it plugged but was not satisfied the plug would hold. That was lesson #1

Lesson #2 the 3 co2 cartridges supplied a total of 21 PSI. Not so good.

From reading this forum I got the following ideas.

After some searching I ordered some plugs from http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

Bought a cheap Campbell Hausfeld inflator ($9.96) The one without the built in gauge. Striped off the plastic. Soldered on some clips to connect to the battery.

Put every thing along with a tire gauge, reamer from BMW kit and knife in a small nylon pouch.

Glad I didn’t need this 1000 miles from home in the middle of nowhere.
Where did you find that inflator? I haven't see one of those. You said you stripped off the connectors. How is it normally powered?
1967 Triumph TR6C
1957 Triumph 650 Flat Tracker
Gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #11
Buzzez
Wind Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket
Where did you find that inflator? I haven't see one of those. You said you stripped off the connectors. How is it normally powered?

I got mine at Big Lots for under $10.00

LR

I carry all my repair stuff in my saddle bags when riding locally but when I travel I don the tank panniers and fill them with tire repair stuff, extra fuel and other misc. necessities.

~&>)
(-)@(+)______

Old 02-26-2006, 08:10 PM   #12
GSbiker
new and un-improved

Oddometer: 11,570
Quote:
I got mine at Big Lots for under $10.00

LR

I carry all my repair stuff in my saddle bags when riding locally but when I travel I don the tank panniers and fill them with tire repair stuff, extra fuel and other misc. necessities.
WalMart has it for about $10.00. I left the cig plug on it and installed a recepticle in the fuse box. Also good for the cell charger and any other 12v accessory.

GSbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Unwrapped Pump

Riders,
The accessory plug pump is a good idea....I have been carrying one for years and my friends love me when they need air.

I found that I prefer to keep the pump in its plastic housing as the pump gets quite hot when used...and can get grit in it as it is bouncing around on the ground as it is working....

I tend not to trust the built-n pressure guages on those Taiwan specials...I prefer one of those digital models.

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:32 AM   #14
jmf OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasket

Had it visit wally world to get mine (yuk). They had several. I got the cheapest one without a gauge. Has a blue plastic case about the size of a small loaf of bread. The compessor itself had a small fan on the end of the shaft. It got cut off with a dremal tool. Fan was used for cooling the unit.
The little compressor acually does a quick job of getting the tire filled.

Had a cig lighter conection on the pump from the store. Cut it off and went with clips to the battery. Leaving the cig. apapter on might work. I never tried it. On the 05gs didnt want to use the accessory socket. the whole can bus thing you know. Im sure direct to the battery will work every time. Also cut off a couple feet of wire that wasnt needed for space saving reasons

Matt
jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #15
vagt6
Bit the Bullet

Oddometer: 832
jmf, thanks for starting this thread. I've now assembled a kit similar to yours after procrastinating way too long.

BTW, I have a WallyWorld $10 air compressor, the gauge is not correct so I removed it and blanked off the fitting. I always use my tire gauge anyway since I know it's correct.

Any more good tire repair ideas???

Thanks again, great info.
vagt6 is offline   Reply With Quote