User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #1
Artboy57 OP
Slave to THE MOUSE

Oddometer: 690
Stebel R1200GS horn kit review

Here's a quicky review of the horn kit for the compact nautilus horn from Adventurer's Workshop.

At just over $30, the kit ain't cheap, but for semi-instant gratification, I think it's worth it. At least for a "Fear of all things electrical" guy like me.Uses the existing horn button.
Steps were- yank old horn,(one nut) thread on provided spacer, add provided bracket to horn, plug new wire into old horn lead and shrink-tube it to hold it in. Add pos/neg leads to horn.Bolt horn to spacer and wiggle it for a half hour, trying to find a place it won't foul the brake cable.Find a hole for the relay(Not THAT hole) and crimp and plug the leads from the horn and the leads going to the battery.Stop what you're doing and go to the auto supply for stinkin' in-line 15 amp fuse holder.Finish connections. Blow horn and annoy neighbors.Hey, it DOES sound like a train!

Pros- It comes with everything you need (almost) Bracket, threaded spacer, color coded wires, crimp connectors and bolts/washers.Everything fits together and seems to be quality stuff.

Cons-The instuctions left something to be desired-like a diagram! a napkin sketch! Anything! Sorry, I was raised on comic books, and a picture IS worth 1,000 words. A simple line drawing showing basic orientation of parts would have shaved an hour off install. There was a photocopy included of what I'm assuming were photos of the horn and relay positions, but they look more like inkblots. Also, for my $30, please include the 99 cent in-line fuse holder, OK? Just charge me $31.

All said and done , an hour (or 2 for me ) in the garage and you'll be honking at and scaring the piss out of friends and neigbors! Seriously, if I can do this , so can you.
Artboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 12:13 PM   #2
janders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Thanks for the install review. This seems like a worthwhile addition. It's hard to keep a straight face when I'm giving someone the stink eye on the freeway after that pussy little meep meep from the factory horn.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
aylorr
Rakkasan

Oddometer: 821
Your greatest joy is yet to come.

My first victim to the Stebel was a late 30's mom driving a Honda Pilot, cell phone in her left hand up to her ear, right hand turning the steering wheel left to place the car directly in my lane with ABS on full, screaming over her right shoulder to two kids fighting while watching a DVD in the rear seat.

Cell phone dropped out the window, crushed by left rear wheel, hot Starbucks all the roof liner, two kids screaming with fear, a stunned carp look on her face. I couldn't tell, but I hope her thong was loaded as well.

Once placed in proper use, you'll see that this horn is worth far more money.

Best luck in your use on idiots.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:19 PM   #4
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorr
Your greatest joy is yet to come.

My first victim to the Stebel was a late 30's mom driving a Honda Pilot, cell phone in her left hand up to her ear, right hand turning the steering wheel left to place the car directly in my lane with ABS on full, screaming over her right shoulder to two kids fighting while watching a DVD in the rear seat.

Cell phone dropped out the window, crushed by left rear wheel, hot Starbucks all the roof liner, two kids screaming with fear, a stunned carp look on her face. I couldn't tell, but I hope her thong was loaded as well.

Once placed in proper use, you'll see that this horn is worth far more money.

Best luck in your use on idiots.
Even if that isn't true, it IS funny!

I have startled a few with my FIAM on my 11GS, and am about to install on on my 12GS.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:24 PM   #5
Scrotie
Chuck U Farley

Oddometer: 1,657
Just my $0.02; I opted for the direct replacement Stebel Magnum (no extra wires or relays) for $18. It's still plenty loud - really loud - and it attaches right to the stock wires and mounting point. As easy as can be.
But a Nautilus would be even more "fun"

Compared to the stock horn

On the bike

Scrotie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by scro0853
Just my $0.02; I opted for the direct replacement Stebel Magnum (no extra wires or relays) for $18. It's still plenty loud - really loud - and it attaches right to the stock wires and mounting point. As easy as can be.
But a Nautilus would be even more "fun"

Compared to the stock horn

On the bike

On a 12GS? Looks like you would AT LEAST have to cut the wires and add new ends. I am surprised the extra wattage doesn't give a fault to the Canbus, as reported by some others.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,181
That's hilarious.
Gonna put my second one in this weekend (death valley killed my first one)....cant wait to have my blaster back...I've missed it.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Scrotie
Chuck U Farley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
On a 12GS? Looks like you would AT LEAST have to cut the wires and add new ends. I am surprised the extra wattage doesn't give a fault to the Canbus, as reported by some others.

Jim
Well yes, sorry. New ends, but that's it. A 2min job. And the CANbus isn't freaking out. I can blast it as long as I want to
Old 02-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
Scrotie
Chuck U Farley

Quote:
Originally Posted by scro0853
Well yes, sorry. New ends, but that's it. A 2min job. And the CANbus isn't freaking out. I can blast it as long as I want to
It draws less amps. 136db at 4 inches and 112db at 4 feet (I think), so it doesn't have the power of the Nautilus, but I can scare some soccer moms in their SUV's
Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,196
I've never used the horn but this one sounds like you can have fun with it. Someone tell me where to order it.

Thanks.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
aylorr
Rakkasan

Oddometer: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
I've never used the horn but this one sounds like you can have fun with it. Someone tell me where to order it.

Thanks.
Since you're in the SE, here may be best http://adventurersworkshop.com/Merch...ebel_Air_Horns

For the West Coast, this is cheaper and faster
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/...gory_Code=STEB
Old 02-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,681
Scro

the stebel magunum is good, but when it gets wet, it goes flat...

I had mine mounted facing down and it still got the blaap blaaap sound..

it's gone.. stebel nautilus compact is coming from Andrew and adv workshop.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,196
Thanks for the info.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,681
Say it is so!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artboy57
plug new wire into old horn lead and shrink-tube it to hold it in.

Are you telling me the kit for the Stebel horn that www.adventurersworkshop.com sells comes with a connector that will mate with the stock horn's connctor? I mean, I can't believe what I'm reading here!! If this is true, it's paradise!! No cutting OEM wires!!

My kit is in the mail!!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #15
gregbenner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Other than price and color, is there any difference between the black nautilus sold by Casportouring and the red one sold by Andrew?
1975 BMW R75/6,1971 BSA Lighning
gregbenner is offline   Reply With Quote