User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #1
Bryan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Buell Blast

Can this bike be used as an Adventure bike, anybody seen or done it with a blast?
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #2
saintbubba
Your Average C Student

Oddometer: 220
Don't know but why not ?

I saw this guy on speedvision that was riding around the world on a sport
bike. And he was taking it off-road through mud etc. His point of view
was that you should take a bike you like and make it work.
Depending on what you want to do and what you define as adventrure
riding I don't see why you couldn't. Things I would consider:

Range (I think it gets 72mpg)

Cost (purdy cheap $2500 for a really nice one).

Tires (you would probaby need to find something with a little dirt ability).

Reliablity (don't know about this, but it's a 500 single so it should be).

Ground clearence (is probably not great this might be your biggest problem)

If people can do the paris - dakar on a vespa p200 I don't know why you
couldn't make a decent adv bike in the spirit of the wee strom...

I'm a noob so my my opinion is worth about as much as
certificate of graduation from the Keith Richards clean and sober program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
Can this bike be used as an Adventure bike, anybody seen or done it with a blast?
Overheard at the SCAR 06 campfire
saintbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:48 AM   #3
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 418
Completely underrated as a bike due to it's ridiculous marketing. I took a spin on one around a neighborhood (with borrowed helmet that came down to my nose to add to the spectacle) and found that it's a torquey, light little bike that they should've positioned as an uber-scooter or dirtbike.

It has a really enjoyable, tractable little motor that I think'd be fine off-road. You'd have the same issues with the belt (don't recall any significant guard) and ground clearance.

It's not clear from looking at it if there's any way you might get more ride height from it.

A buell friend told me he'd talked to someone at Buell R&D and the hot rumour was that they were going to make a supermoto out of it. I've never said anything because I didn't have anyway to verify, but there you have it. As a supermoto the thing would be a great kick in the ass.

--Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #4
renegade13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I'd be curious to hear what others think of using the Blast in this way.
renegade13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
Uncle Larry
The most suave of stooges

Oddometer: 14,417
I did my MSF class on the Blast.

We toodled 'round the parking alot. Several got dropped. The bikes responded well, handled well, and recovered easily after getting dropped. VERY cool little bikes.

It's a very basic motorcycle. But that is a huge plus when it comes to touring. I think a Blast could easily do some serious adventure touring.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
I bough one a couple of weks ago for the GF (new rider and small) I am impressed with it. It is very light, and handles well. Dual sport tirs are available for it I believe and it is light enough for adventure dirt roads. draw backs are low ground clearance. It doesnt have a lot of HP, but then again for most 3rd world roads you don't need it. In fact it does freeway speeds easy. Several people are turning them into flat track bikes and one guy in Medford Ore is turining them into dual sport bikes. I'v never been a Harley/buell fan, but am impressed by this little bike. Also i have screaped pegs on this in the parking lot several times, handles very well.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
Bryan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I was just thinking about it, I thought why not, a light weight cheap bike with a few mods would do good.

Think I will have to really look into this as a project.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:35 PM   #8
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
But, why? From a reliability standpoint, the Buell Blast has been plagued with issues; most of them direclty related to factory quality issues.

I had a Sportster 883 for a while. It was a very fun bike and had lots of character, but in the end I found myself needing a bike that performed better. I could have taken the Sporty and altered it enough to do the duty, but I realized pretty quickly that it'd take a lot of time, and money to make it just barely perform as well as almost any other bike that was designed for the task (bone stock; before you improved them). The Blast will be no different. You'll likely wind up doing a lot of fab work, and find yourself having issues with it that aren't addressed since you're using the bike outside its intended use (which brings up another point about durability).

Why not just go with a bike that was designed with all this in mind from the get-go? They're certainly no more expensive and will perform the task better without any modification at all.

If you were just doing it as a project to occupy some time and to have something different, that's fine. But when it comes down to it, you'll always fall behind when compared to bikes that were purpose built for this application.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
saintbubba
Your Average C Student

Laugh Are you trying to say

Hey are you tryin to say that Sportsters are slow !
I'll have you know that the chump I passed on the
Vespa was impressed !

That's right with 45hp and at 600lbs she's got a power to weight ratio
almost as good as Orson Welles !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
But,
I had a Sportster 883 for a while. It was a very fun bike and had lots of character, but in the end I found myself needing a bike that performed better.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintbubba
Hey are you tryin to say that Sportsters are slow !
I'll have you know that the chump I passed on the
Vespa was impressed !

That's right with 45hp and at 600lbs she's got a power to weight ratio
almost as good as Orson Welles !

Just not quite as quick as my KLR... ;) I loved my Sportster, but I could only afford one bike back then, and the Sportster would have made a much better 'occasional' bike than an 'only' bike.

I figured it up one day and came up with this: The 883 will run nearly exactly the same times as a factory Formula Firebird up to the legal limits. Not too shabby for cars, but a tad sluggish for cars. The ergos nearly prevented it from being much more powerful.

Of course, you already know the two worst parts of owning a Sportster: The left shock, and the right shock. Not very good suspension.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

Old 03-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #11
saintbubba
Your Average C Student

Yep...

Shocks suck I have ordered some progressives which should help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny KLR
Just not quite as quick as my KLR... ;) I loved my Sportster, but I could only afford one bike back then, and the Sportster would have made a much better 'occasional' bike than an 'only' bike.

I figured it up one day and came up with this: The 883 will run nearly exactly the same times as a factory Formula Firebird up to the legal limits. Not too shabby for cars, but a tad sluggish for cars. The ergos nearly prevented it from being much more powerful.

Of course, you already know the two worst parts of owning a Sportster: The left shock, and the right shock. Not very good suspension.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #12
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,855
Just looking at the shock location on that Sporty I can't ever remember another bike that the shock bolt is that close to the rear axle. If some one put shorter shock farther forward a little mechanical advantage could improve things.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
Just looking at the shock location on that Sporty I can't ever remember another bike that the shock bolt is that close to the rear axle. If some one put shorter shock farther forward a little mechanical advantage could improve things.
They'd have done well to put the SoftTail's monoshock in there; there's room...

Old 03-01-2006, 08:42 PM   #14
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
i have a friend that works at harley(screamin eagle dept), he has a 70hp buel blast. looks bone stock.talk about a sleeper.they kinda built it for fun and has managed many runs down the strip with no problems.
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
Bryan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did some looking around the net last night and found out some horror stories about Blasts,
And also found some great stories of how good a bike it is especially after 2002 they apperently improved a lot.
Still thinking it could be a good back/dirt road traveler, the Concours just wont do for for off road in the Big bend aera.