ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer
 
ekaphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
I did some looking around the net last night and found out some horror stories about Blasts,
And also found some great stories of how good a bike it is especially after 2002 they apperently improved a lot.
Still thinking it could be a good back/dirt road traveler, the Concours just wont do for for off road in the Big bend aera.

It would be a good bike to consider. A Buell and a sporster are not the same bike. Some folks don't like any bike Harley puts out due to name.Check them out for yourself. Test ride one if you can.
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.
ekaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
chicken little
What's that funny noise?
 
chicken little's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 38
We teach with those things every weekend here- good and bad weather, extreme cold and heat, lots of tip overs, and tons of inexperienced riders. They seem pretty gosh-dern tough. I wish I had one in the garage. I think they are a hoot.
__________________
After changes upon changes we are more or less the same.
chicken little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 04:15 AM   #18
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Just east of Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dave
i have a friend that works at harley(screamin eagle dept), he has a 70hp buel blast. looks bone stock.talk about a sleeper.they kinda built it for fun and has managed many runs down the strip with no problems.
Jeez -- is it streetable? Or would it just blow after a few miles of street riding? Or, is it an alky or fueler? Nah -- couldn't be a fueler, or it would make twice that power. But maybe an alky? What cams, headwork, etc -- do you know? I've been toying with the idea of a really hot street-only Blast for the past 2 years now. I happen to like the bike myself. Not as bad as some people say it is, really. Lots of power potential in it, and handles quite well, actually. The Nallin Racing big-bore stuff, with Zippers red-shift .630 cams, etc.
I would appreciate any info about that Blast, if you can....
Thanks.
__________________
Old fart ex-racer, always been a dual-sporter and adventure rider.
Currently:
2006 DR650
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #19
Bryan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bryan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: North east Scotland
Oddometer: 235
All I think I would need to do is attach a couple of small cases to it and change the tires for a start, then experiment with the clearance issuie somehow.

I know there is bikes desigined to do the job, I just want something diffrent.
Also I hear of people going all over the world on all types of terrain useing road bikes with a few mods.
I am far from rich and I think it would be a good way to have some cheap great fun

On The long way round, the camera guy had to get a naitive bike after his BMW was destroyed and he was managing very well on that compared to the travelers on the BMWs.

Thats why I think I can do something like this with the Buell Blast.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:13 AM   #20
dirty dave
Banned
 
dirty dave's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: milwaukee wi
Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by compman21234
Jeez -- is it streetable? Or would it just blow after a few miles of street riding? Or, is it an alky or fueler? Nah -- couldn't be a fueler, or it would make twice that power. But maybe an alky? What cams, headwork, etc -- do you know? I've been toying with the idea of a really hot street-only Blast for the past 2 years now. I happen to like the bike myself. Not as bad as some people say it is, really. Lots of power potential in it, and handles quite well, actually. The Nallin Racing big-bore stuff, with Zippers red-shift .630 cams, etc.
I would appreciate any info about that Blast, if you can....
Thanks.
i believe they put an xr750 cylinder and head, im not sure what else. no nitrious,no blowers or anything, like i said it looks bone stock, these guys are crazy. im sure it would be difficult to replicate as they used/made parts at the factory race shop. ill get the skinny from him though.good luck with your hot rod.
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 AM   #21
scootertrash
Mobile Homie
 
scootertrash's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: "My leg's tired, let's live here."
Oddometer: 2,069
Is the Blast half of a Sportster 883? IE: 441.5 cc? If it's the same bottom end/tranny, it technically should last forever as the 883 is already uber overbuilt. Witness the number of 1200cc upgrades being done, using the same bottom end. If the parts are interchangeable, you could put one of the 1200cc jugs on and have a 600cc bike...of course I could be FOS on this too....
__________________

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"

scootertrash screwed with this post 03-02-2006 at 07:31 AM
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #22
mb182
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Vacation Capital of America - Indianapolis
Oddometer: 149
Check out Bad Web... There is a section on the blast

http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buel...tml?1141272749


MB
mb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:53 AM   #23
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Just east of Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
Is the Blast half of a Sportster 883? IE: 441.5 cc? If it's the same bottom end/tranny, it technically should last forever as the 883 is already uber overbuilt. Witness the number of 1200cc upgrades being done, using the same bottom end. If the parts are interchangeable, you could put one of the 1200cc jugs on and have a 600cc bike...of course I could be FOS on this too....
They have the same 3.5 inch bore as 1200cc Sportster, but with a shorter stroke. They should have left the stroke the same and it would have been a 600cc instead of 500cc. If you put a big-bore (3.8) 600cc jug on it, the case has to be bored-out -- the same 3.8 bore would give you a 1450cc Sportster. I think that a stroker crank may fit, but don't know for sure. I would assume one is available. You can get all the Sportster and XB cam grinds, and headwork, etc., I know that much. But the shorter stroke allows higher top revs, too, so it's not a total loss.
__________________
Old fart ex-racer, always been a dual-sporter and adventure rider.
Currently:
2006 DR650
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 AM   #24
ldbandit76
Life is good.
 
ldbandit76's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
I did some looking around the net last night and found out some horror stories about Blasts,
And also found some great stories of how good a bike it is especially after 2002 they apperently improved a lot.
I owned a Blast for about a year as my wife learned to ride. It's a highly underrated machine. The front brake is quite impressive, the power is better than you'd think, and it takes a fall as well as a dirtbike (molded-color plastics, flexible stalks, etc).

There have been 2 (count 'em) consistent issues with the Blast. One is the case vent hose in the airbox (for emissions reasons). It can drip oil into the carbs. If it causes stumbling, remove or re-direct it. No problem. This is a "horror story" for people who can't or won't take 20 minutes to fix a small problem.

The other is the rocker box gasket, which leaked on early models. It has been fixed at the factory for 2002 (and late 2001 models, I think). Checking to see if a given bike has the new metal gasket takes a flashlight and 20 seconds.

Changing the transmission oil is a bit of a pain, but the interval isn't too big a deal unless you're doing Iron Butt runs all the time. The seating position might be a little cramped if you're tall. You'll probably hit the rev limiter on a regular basis. It shakes at idle. And that's about it...

You could do much worse for a do-it-all platform.

Dave
ldbandit76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:32 AM   #25
wickedsprint
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash
Is the Blast half of a Sportster 883? IE: 441.5 cc? If it's the same bottom end/tranny, it technically should last forever as the 883 is already uber overbuilt. Witness the number of 1200cc upgrades being done, using the same bottom end. If the parts are interchangeable, you could put one of the 1200cc jugs on and have a 600cc bike...of course I could be FOS on this too....

Even the factory ones share the same bottom end, only diff between the 883 and 1200 is from the cylinders up and different finaly countershaft pulley.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #26
compman21234
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Just east of Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsprint
Even the factory ones share the same bottom end, only diff between the 883 and 1200 is from the cylinders up and different finaly countershaft pulley.
Primary chain gears are different, too. (The ones under the clutch case).
Even with a 1200 front pulley, the 883 will still be geared slightly lower overall.
__________________
Old fart ex-racer, always been a dual-sporter and adventure rider.
Currently:
2006 DR650
2006 KLX250
compman21234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #27
ekaphoto
Studly Adventurer
 
ekaphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Northern CA
Oddometer: 765
I know there are a LOT of hop up parts for it off the shelf. I'm just not sure what is available.
__________________
If it's worth doing, it's worth over doing.
ekaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #28
Bryan OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Bryan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: North east Scotland
Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaphoto
I know there are a LOT of hop up parts for it off the shelf. I'm just not sure what is available.
Well its looking promising, hop up parts will perhaps make it in to a fairily able adventure bike, I need to start looking in to this for real.
Wonder where I could get a test drive.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:27 PM   #29
AndyT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan
Well its looking promising, hop up parts will perhaps make it in to a fairily able adventure bike, I need to start looking in to this for real.
Wonder where I could get a test drive.

I saw one at Extreme Powersports a couple weeks ago for sale. 1604 and Judson Road in SA.
AndyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #30
Smith898
Dancin Man
 
Smith898's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Central City , Colorado
Oddometer: 279
I have a KLR 650 & a Blast . I live in Alaska and the Blast has started on many cold days where the KLR would not. I like it as a city bike, i am a big boy though so i look like a clown in the circus on it. It is a sleeper and has pick up once ya got on it. I did not like the rev limiter on it. For me it would be a little uncomfortable for a long ride.I got a good deal on it so i have no disappointments with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken little
We teach with those things every weekend here- good and bad weather, extreme cold and heat, lots of tip overs, and tons of inexperienced riders. They seem pretty gosh-dern tough. I wish I had one in the garage. I think they are a hoot.
__________________
1997 KLR 650

1975 Honda XL175 - Every one has to have a classic
Smith898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014