Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2006, 09:22 PM   #31
Mouse
I'm only smelly

Oddometer: 8,906
bloody hell, you can't be an aussie then eh? Gotta tease 'em every opportunity you get cause the buggers might get a march on you... but i agree, it was fun while it lasted!

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #32
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
No, bubble bursting here! I like it better! The bike handles better, because the low speed wobble is gone. Just like Gary Emig said it would be! He actually told me, that I wouldn't need to lower the bike and I could keep the forks raised up in the trees. I was going to replace the front springs anyway, and the lowering was just $25, so I did it! The offset increases the rake which also increases the trail. It makes the bike more stable because of the increased trail. The bike does not turn in as fast as it did stock. That's a given. It's also limited by the 21" wheel and dualsport tires.

Sure, I lowered the bike. I'm of just average height 5' 10". I'm glad I'm not a freak of nature like some of you guys. I can find normal sized shoes and clothes wherever I go! My brother in law is 6' 3" and has a size 15 shoe. You don't want to have that problem.

I know the bike is better overall! The steering stabilizer makes handling on the street much better. I usually have it set on just 5. When I hit gravel or dirt I turn it up to 13. Overall, the bike is very stable and it still turns in nice. Before the mods the bike wallowed in the turns. It felt light in the front and as though the front could washout at anytime. It bounced so badly on uneven pavement, that I had to keep my speed down in the turns.

It was worth every penny of the $950 I paid for the Emig Racing parts! I would never go back to the way it was. In fact, I'm selling the stock 950 parts! As for the lowering. It's much better than before but it's only 1" lower than it was stock. The Eibach spring on the rear WP shock is also much better than the stock spring. I sold that spring to one of the non-S owners here that S-ed is bike. My front S springs are on eBay right now. They are the last of my S parts. Factory Connection did a wonderful job and knew exactly what I needed even if I didn't. I told them I wanted .52kg springs in the forks. They put in .50kg springs and they were right. It's perfect now! I have $1650 in the Factory Connection front & rear suspensions and the Emig trees & steering stabilizer. I'm very happy with spending that money, where I did. The bike fits me better and handles better. Don't knock it until you try it!

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #33
Mouse
I'm only smelly

methinks, swon, you didn't happen to read the thread mentioned now did you?

Your first paragraph merely reiterates what you've said before which decidedly contradicts a lot of experts (and I'm not one btw).

Please take five minutes and read and comprehend the referred thread and understand what you've done to your bike.

I also have the emig setup and its first rate.

“It is better to stir up a question without deciding it than to decide it without stirring it up”
Old 04-19-2006, 02:05 AM   #34
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

Yes, I read it!

S Won
Old 04-19-2006, 12:11 PM   #35
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,446
Here is what Emig says.
Quote:
PaigeEmig
Adventurer

For both the KTM 950 and 640, we offer an OFFSET clamp kit. Changing from the stock offset of 18mm to a BETTER offset of 20mm. This offset is a noticeable, tremendous improvement in handling. The factory KTM 950's use a 20mm offset.
Note that he says nothing about the bike being less or more stable.

Quote:
S Won The offset increases the rake which also increases the trail. It makes the bike more stable because of the increased trail.
Sorry S WON, but you have it backwords.

Quote:
S Won Don't knock it until you try it!
I did it all a year ago. I have the 20mm off set and Emig stablizer, and .50 springs from Precision Concepts.
Our bikes are about the same, except yours is about 2'' lower than mine. And Bob Bell puts a little magic into the new forks too.
I'm 5'11, so your not far from being a "Freak of Nature".

It is a good set up, and however it works, is seems to work real well.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #36
Mouse
I'm only smelly

you can take a babe by the hand and lead them through the woods but does that mean they will learn anything???

I guess not in ths case...

Old 04-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #37
Speedzter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Question

I've fitted a Rev' II Emig damper, and it appears to have a " dead" spot, as if something is loose internally . For example, with the bars straight ahead, you can move the bars about 1 1/2 inches before you can feel the damping .
I would expect the damping to be present all the time
Just thought I would ask if this is normal before I email Emig .
Speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #38
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedzter
I've fitted a Rev' II Emig damper, and it appears to have a " dead" spot, as if something is loose internally . For example, with the bars straight ahead, you can move the bars about 1 1/2 inches before you can feel the damping .
I would expect the damping to be present all the time
Just thought I would ask if this is normal before I email Emig .
Just sent mine back today because it leaks
Will check next week when I get it back and let you know if no one does by then

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #39
Mouse
I'm only smelly

pm'ed you speedzter...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:28 PM   #40
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

I re-read the thread and yes, I believe I had it backwards. I was only reporting what Gary told me but perhaps I was confused with his explaination. It happens! My understanding of it was that the bottom of the clamp kicked out the forks 2mm and increased the rake and trail. Apparently, that is not the case. I actually asked him about this and that's what he told me. Anyway, my bike was only lowered 1" in the front. The back however, was lowered a bit more than that. My headlight actually points skyward now. I rarely ride at night, you'll become a corpes doing that here, so it's not an issue for me! So, I believe overall I have changed the trail somewhat, and my bike has more trail, even with the 2mm offset change!

As I said, the bike feels better (to me) and handles much better than stock. The wobble that I created by raising the forks is completely gone. One hand on the bars at any speed is now possible. It NEVER was possible before the changes, even stock! If it isn't as stable as it was before the 2mm change then the wobble should still be present. When I first did the trees, I had the forks raised and there was no wobble. Of course the forks were lowered 1" so maybe that made a difference. I have no idea, I am not an expert at any of this obviously! I rely on others and expect them to tell me the truth, when I question them about their parts. The more I deal with aftermarket companies, the more I find people are just trying to make a quick buck! I have a garage full of Harley/Buell parts because of someone trying to make a buck! "Sure our frame will work with your parts!" Yeah, Right!

My Revolution II stabilizer has NO dead spot whatsoever in it.

S Won
Old 04-19-2006, 08:44 PM   #41
Mouse
I'm only smelly

glad that's sorted. Swon, what rubber are you using? Its my experience the bikes sensitivie to adjustments in ride height - ytry fitting the D908RR rear if you want a strong example. My emig damper is the same as speedz, perhaps we got the foreign spec one...

Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 PM   #42
S Won OP
Studly Adventurer

My bike still has the stock tires. I don't plan to use anything else right now. I'll be getting a new Scorpion for the back very soon. They have 5600 miles on them and the rear needs replaced. The sides are fine the middle is gone. A trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway last year ate the middle up.

I've never noticed a deadspot in my dampner. Next ride, I'll check closer and report if anything is amiss.

S Won

S Won screwed with this post 04-20-2006 at 03:57 AM
Old 04-19-2006, 08:59 PM   #43
Mouse
I'm only smelly

simpler method if you have one is to pop it on the centre stand and feel the resistance...

Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #44
urbanoyster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Mouse, when I saw your broken bike at Prorider last week I thought I'd grab your steering damper while no one was looking.

Only problem was that some one beat me to it!
urbanoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #45
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse
pm'ed you speedzter...
shhh
Hey let me in on the secret
Do you have a dead spot too?
I promise not to tell anyone