ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Finally made it to the Swinging Bridge

Ok, it only took 3 different attempts and three different sets of directions, but I finally made it to the Swinging Bridge over the Toccoa River this afternoon on my WeeStrom.

I took FS 816, got on it right past the Dixie Depot on GA 60, 3 miles of the roughest trail I have had the WeeStrom on yet, but really not a problem, even with D607s. Did the whole thing in 2nd gear, stood on the pegs most of the time. At the end of the road, there is a foot trail down to the river, I would guess 300 yards or so to the bridge.

The bridge is quite impressive, very sturdy but swings a lot as you walk on it, fairly high over the river. The setting is gorgeous, it is almost picture perfect there. I saw no one the entire time I was on FS 816 and the foot trail.

Of course, I brought my camera but forgot the memory card - duh! Oh well, I'll take pictures next time.

Thanks to everyone who gave me directions to the bridge. It was worth the effort to find.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
chanster
Traveler

Oddometer: 112
i am not finding fs 816 on my maps...does it have another name? how far in which direction from suches? would love to be able to find this bridge...
thanks!
chanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 07:27 PM   #3
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanster
i am not finding fs 816 on my maps...does it have another name? how far in which direction from suches? would love to be able to find this bridge...
thanks!
FS 816 is right off of GA 60, about 15 miles North of Suches I would guess. It is just South of the intersection of Doublehead Gap Road and GA 60. The best landmark is the general store called the Dixie Depot - the entrance to FS 816 is about 1/2 mile north of the store on your left if you are heading North. Can't miss it.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
chanster
Traveler

Oddometer: 112
thanks, i think i have found it. i see a road in mapsource city nav that runs west off of 60, south of doublehead gap road, and just north of the community of margret. looks like it dead ends right at the river. i will give it a try when i am up there in april. thanks again!
chanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Glad you finally made it! I am thinking about putting together a ride to the mythical Swinging Bridge sometime soon, for those that are intersted. It is worth the ride, and the hassle to find it.

First time I decided to try and find it was with a buddy of mine in my Silverado. We didn't make it. It is very hard to do in a truck...the bikes can get through some of the much alot easier.

I took a group of friends camping there last year though...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v226/f...20June%202005/

This lsat pic is of one entrance onto the right road:

It gets confusing here b/c the head of the trail looks like (and maybe is) part of someone's junkyard/backyard. Pretty cool riding though.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:46 AM   #6
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Thumb

Glad to hear it Soboy. Good thing I told you about f.s. 816 if you thought it was rough. Get you some TKC FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:22 AM   #7
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Glad to hear it Soboy. Good thing I told you about f.s. 816 if you thought it was rough. Get you some TKC FOR YOUR CONFIDENCE.
Thanks again for the tip re: FS 816 - I was very excited to finally make it to the elusive swinging bridge. If I had been on my Yamaha DT250, FS 816 would have been cake. But, alone on the WeeStrom, with a full tank of fuel and D607s fully inflated to street pressure, it was doable, but I had to be careful (the D607s, by the way, are fantastic tires - turn in on asphalt is much better than the OEM Trailwings, and they are also better on dirt than the Wings - obviously not as good as TKC on dirt, but the reality is, as much as I like dirt, I spend more time on the street).

I also picked up FS 80 off Camp Washega Rd. and took FS 42 to Suches. Some of the straight sections of FS 42 were so smooth, that I found myself doing 70 mph seated, in comfort and control. Amazing.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:27 PM   #8
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Good stuff Dan!

Sounds like good stuff Dan, but you're kill me riding alone like that ... where is Steve? do i have to come down there to ride with ya? you should start posting rides ahead of time see who pops up for a spirited jaunt. Did you hit Deals GaP yet?
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
Sounds like good stuff Dan, but you're kill me riding alone like that ... where is Steve? do i have to come down there to ride with ya? you should start posting rides ahead of time see who pops up for a spirited jaunt. Did you hit Deals GaP yet?
Steve could not handle the Fire Service Roads I go on with his RT1150. Check your email.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #10
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Ain't nuthin wrong with riding by yerself. I do it all the time. Just be prepared to deal with emergencies. Know where you're going, bring GPS, map, stash of food and H2O, some band aids. Oh, and shit to fix a flat!
Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 AM   #11
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
riding alone is Ok...I do it too...

I ride alone too but not exploring, i never had the opportunity to see that area of N.GA but i have heard great things so why not enjoy it with some other ADV riders and have the peace of mind of getting out of a situation with the aid of a ride pal... and not have to wait for a resque... I have no doubts in Dan's Skills but if the machine fails its just an unneeded risk (IMO)

to Dan, we gotta get Steve a used KLR 650 so he can ride as your wingman or so i can borrow it and ride with you when i come to visit... yes better idea
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:07 AM   #12
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Jorge:

I really enjoy exploring solo, and I bring everything flux mentioned minus GPS (have lots of maps and a compass instead). I certainly would also enjoy riding with some of these local adv.rider guys, I'm sure I will get that chance soon. One thing I have found is that I definitely turn the pace down a few notches when I am riding alone. It seems that when I'm in a group, the pace is often turned up and more risks are taken than when going it alone. A lot of times, I ride on the spur of the moment, with little or no planning, so it would not always be feasible to get riding companions together on these rides.

I know Steve wants a KLR, he just needs to find a nice used one and pull the trigger.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #13
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Yeah, I should mention that I ride more conservatively when by myself. Like soboy, I ride alot of times spur of the moment. I live 5 minutes from some of this area's best off roading (and road riding for that matter) so it happens frequently. Alot of times I'll take off if I have only an hour to kill, too, so that means I definitely am by myself.

Let's get something going for next weekend. I don't think I have anything pending for either day at the moment. I will talk to the fiance tonight and post something up later on. Any votes for a particular day?
Old 03-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Let's get something going for next weekend. I don't think I have anything pending for either day at the moment. I will talk to the fiance tonight and post something up later on. Any votes for a particular day?
I vote for Sunday, I have some family obligations on Saturday.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #15
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Soboy, as the first response to next weekend, I declare SUNDAY ride day. Let's get it on!

Would everyone like to meet at my place? Very easy to find, and we don't have to ride far to get to trails. I know most of them around here, and that is a plus.

I am thinking as much dirt as possible. Leave here sometime Sunday am, ride north towards Amicalola Falls, and take it from there. I know at least 2 ways to get to Swinging Bridge, so maybe Killer Whale KTM can finally see this mythical structure. Maybe a stop by the fish hatchery...it is close to the bridge and worth a stop if you've never seen it before.