ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2006, 05:54 PM   #16
trent74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Stopped by Flux's place today on a long ride today on the KLX (wife on SV650). I just picked up a trailer and truck and I plan on putting some good knobbies on this week that won't have to see much pavement. Count me in!
2009 Gas Gas Raga 250 Trials
trent74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:20 PM   #17
jorge
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
see.. now you guys are on to something...

That was not so tough to make new ride buddies... now if you guys don't take pictures and properly document the rides like we do up here in NJ... the Jersey boyz will have to come down there and bada bing...fugeta bout it...or if you prefer we'll come down an open up a can of "whoop asss"

Check any of the NJ rides... el Comandante Walter is even taking video now! Have fun fellas... make us proud! Jorge.
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #18
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Soboy, as the first response to next weekend, I declare SUNDAY ride day. Let's get it on!

Would everyone like to meet at my place? Very easy to find, and we don't have to ride far to get to trails. I know most of them around here, and that is a plus.

I am thinking as much dirt as possible. Leave here sometime Sunday am, ride north towards Amicalola Falls, and take it from there. I know at least 2 ways to get to Swinging Bridge, so maybe Killer Whale KTM can finally see this mythical structure. Maybe a stop by the fish hatchery...it is close to the bridge and worth a stop if you've never seen it before.
flux: If we are going to do a lot of dirt, I would like to bring my old Yamaha DT 250, it is much, much better than the WeeStrom on dirt. However, the Yamaha is terrible on the street, can't go more than 45 mph, so I would have to toss it in my truck and haul it up to your place. How much street riding are you planning on doing?
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:00 AM   #19
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
I would plan on a ride that is 60-70% off road, maybe a little more. Some of it depends on what forest roads are unexpectedly closed off. Everyone I plan on going should be fine on a Strom, Dirty South has been on all of them on his. The toughest trail is at the beginning by my house, but even it isn't that bad. If I can do it on the Beemer, you should be able to do it on the Strom. You ever ridden it much off road? We can take the time needed to get it done.

However, if you feel more comfortable on the smaller bike, we can certainly do our best to keep slab speeds under 45.

I'll take a closer look at a map tonight when I get home.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:01 AM   #20
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
That was not so tough to make new ride buddies... now if you guys don't take pictures and properly document the rides like we do up here in NJ... the Jersey boyz will have to come down there and bada bing...fugeta bout it...or if you prefer we'll come down an open up a can of "whoop asss"

Check any of the NJ rides... el Comandante Walter is even taking video now! Have fun fellas... make us proud! Jorge.
Sounds like a challenge!

Don't know about the video thing though...
Old 03-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #21
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would plan on a ride that is 60-70% off road, maybe a little more. Some of it depends on what forest roads are unexpectedly closed off. Everyone I plan on going should be fine on a Strom, Dirty South has been on all of them on his. The toughest trail is at the beginning by my house, but even it isn't that bad. If I can do it on the Beemer, you should be able to do it on the Strom. You ever ridden it much off road? We can take the time needed to get it done.

However, if you feel more comfortable on the smaller bike, we can certainly do our best to keep slab speeds under 45.

I'll take a closer look at a map tonight when I get home.
Sounds like you are planning a great ride - I would like to do as much dirt as possible, I've ridden almost every paved road up there many, many times, but I don't know the dirt very well and want to learn it. A 90% dirt ride would be fine with me.

I plan to bring the DT250, because it is much more fun and confidence-inspiring off road than the V-Strom, which is an absolute pig when the going gets really rough. I have taken the WeeStrom off pavement (like FS 42), but not off road. It is fine on the well graded stuff but horrible in soft stuff and will not make it thru mud. And it is too damn heavy to pick up easily - lol. For exploring new off road trails, the Yamaha is the way to go.

If the group gets tired of keeping the paved stuff under 45, just tell me the meeting point and I'll catch up. The only other thing is I will need to get gas at some point in the ride, as the Yamaha only holds 2 gallons.

Are you gonna start a new post topic for our Sunday ride - I have a feeling a lot of people who are interested are not reading this thread.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:52 AM   #22
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Pretty sure thats the Benton Mackaye Trail bridge, I've floated under it on a two day trip down the Toccoa River. At one time (probably still the case) it was the longest swinging bridge east of the Missisippi.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #23
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Yup, that's the bridge, GaM. I did not know it was the longest at one point. Very cool tidbit.

Ya, soboy, I'll post another thread after supper. I'm about to teach this Tony's pepperoni pizza who it's daddy is.

I am sticking to the plan of a mostly dirt route, but I gotta say that 90% is wishful thinking. It'll probably end up at 60% to maybe 70%. I know Trent is mounting some knobbies on the KLX this week, and I am mounting my new K270 front, so I do want to ride as much off road as possbile.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #24
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Yup, that's the bridge, GaM. I did not know it was the longest at one point. Very cool tidbit.

Ya, soboy, I'll post another thread after supper. I'm about to teach this Tony's pepperoni pizza who it's daddy is.

I am sticking to the plan of a mostly dirt route, but I gotta say that 90% is wishful thinking. It'll probably end up at 60% to maybe 70%. I know Trent is mounting some knobbies on the KLX this week, and I am mounting my new K270 front, so I do want to ride as much off road as possbile.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:03 PM   #25
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Here it is boys:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...93#post2421093

Old 03-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #26
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Alright you guys...,
Sounds like a ride to me ! Honestly though,I won't know until later in the week. This weekend is the motorcycle show at the Cobb Galleria.I hate that it has been changed to the last date this year !! You see ,I save my "lunch money" for the show each year in order to pick up on deals on coats ,gloves etc. And I'm worried that there will be nothing left! Oh well,Maybe it will all come together.
Flux, where are you at ? (living I mean) Are we almost neighbors ? Some of the areas around the Chatt forest remind me of Deliverance ??! And seeing as your avatar is the wild lookin makeup wearing Pirate dude ......... Oh well surely not !
I'll stay in touch
Killer Whale KTM
Old 03-06-2006, 07:34 PM   #27
soboy OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Alright you guys...,
Sounds like a ride to me ! Honestly though,I won't know until later in the week. This weekend is the motorcycle show at the Cobb Galleria.I hate that it has been changed to the last date this year !! You see ,I save my "lunch money" for the show each year in order to pick up on deals on coats ,gloves etc. And I'm worried that there will be nothing left! Oh well,Maybe it will all come together.
Flux, where are you at ? (living I mean) Are we almost neighbors ? Some of the areas around the Chatt forest remind me of Deliverance ??! And seeing as your avatar is the wild lookin makeup wearing Pirate dude ......... Oh well surely not !
I'll stay in touch
Killer Whale KTM
KillerWhale: The motorcycle show at the Galleria is NOT this weekend, it is March 17-19. Come on and ride with us on Sunday - it will be a blast!