ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
May 21 Western MA Dualsport Ride

Is it too early to mention this yet?

Sunday May 21, 2006 Sandisfield, MA.

The 1-State Dualsport. (Last year it was the 4-State but we dropped the gimmick this year - had to skip too much good stuff nearby to get all 4 states in.)

150 mile Main Route is big-bike friendly mix of dirt roads and back roads. Numerous Optional Sections for the Brave, Heroic and Nuts (rated as such).

This a charity ride for Ronald McDonald House. It is also a supported ride, arrowed & swept, route sheets to be distributed at the start, fee $30 per bike for AMA members; addtl $5 charity donation for non-members.

Camping nearby, note that (AFAIK) Max BMW has a ride the day before, Saturday May 20.

And did I mention FREE LUNCH? Courtesy of North's Honda Suzuki in Lenox, MA.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Beez
Given to fly

Oddometer: 5,711
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Is it too early to mention this yet?
I was wondering when this would show up here. Closest camping is Tolland SF, right? See ya there!
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 934
Never too early to plan a day of riding when its in the temps are in the teens I need a distraction .

Are there any other details of the ride,
starting point?
Is the ride a loop that will end in the same place as the start?
I assume there is gas along the way, that sort of thing.

thanks
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Is this ride V-Strom friendly? Asphalt, dirt roads and mild trails are good for me.

I ride the Triple B every year on my KDX but never get to check out the roads around there.

Is the start at Tuckers?

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
What time do these events kick off?

It is about a 3 hour ride for me to get there.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Augie
Nincompoop

Oddometer: 27,367
Never mind.

I wil be coming back from the Hot Springs rally when this is going on.
Augie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,266
Start is usually between 9-10 am. it is V-strom friendly with tougher stuff optional. it does start at Tuckers whis is located on Route 8 just 3 miles north of the CT border.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Sandflea
One Lump or Two?

Oddometer: 907
Hmm, Just wondering when it was

Nice call, just thinking about this. Will see you there! Last year was a blast!, but the road sections were a bit lengthy. Going to do Pittsfield and Greylock again? That stuff was pretty fun in the rain! See ya in May.
00' SV650n
02' KLR650
98' XR400 Aloop kit plated
86' XT350 Flat Track

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. Amen. -Monk, name unknown
Sandflea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandflea
Last year was a blast!, but the road sections were a bit lengthy.

Second that opinion. Had fun last time, but if you guys haven't locked the route yet, I cast my two cents for more trails and *way* less roads. The "hero" sections last year were nice, especially the variety--some little rocks followed by a little mud followed by a creek and some different rocks. Hope to be able to make it up this year (and hopefully not grey rain again).

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
viverrid OP
not dead yet

In no particular order:

DID I MENTION FREE LUNCH? North's Honda Suzuki has committed to providing refreshments. This is their first year doing it, so I can't guarantee the food, but I expect at least the basic hotdog hamburg sodas (beer at your own expense at Tuckers after the event!).

Closest camping at Tolland State Forest (this is Tolland, MA; not CT).

Start & Finish at Tucker's (bar/restaurant) on Rte 8 a mile south of Rte 57. Event parking in the back lot down to the left (when facing building) please. The restaurant needs the front parking for lunchtime for their other customers (while we are out riding).

Different format this year. MAIN ROUTE is "big bike friendly" (last year the Main Route had challenging sections and the options were the Bypasses). I will be pre-running the Main Route on a V-Strom with TKC-80s. Numerous Optional Sections which rejoin Main Route followed by Reset to Zero for both Main and Optional riders. (Navigation is Enduro-style from route sheet a/k/a rollmap.) Optional Sections are rated Brave, Heroic, and Nuts. Nuts sections would be hard work on a DRZ. Heroic sections are DRZ appropriate and hard work on a KLR. Brave sections are a level harder than a dirt road and too much for most V-Stroms.

We moved the Start back to first bike off at 9:30 (riders' meeting at 9:00). We send them out in small groups (informal version of Enduro-style "lines") to reduce congestion so not everyone leaves right at 9:30. BUT, you should attend the riders' meeting if at all possible.

Gas Available along route as noted on Route Sheet. Longest on-route gas interval is 62 miles (that section has an off-route backup gas requiring a detour, 51 miles). The route is more compact this year, we dropped the 4-State gimmick (it's now the 1-State) so we won't need the very long continuous road route back to start this year. About 150 miles total (Main Route).

And did I mention Free Lunch?
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.

viverrid screwed with this post 03-06-2006 at 07:18 PM Reason: adjustments
Old 03-07-2006, 04:56 AM   #11
Greg Podlaski
fat ass

Oddometer: 353
pittsfield

Cant wait until May to hit the Bekshires for some good riding
Greg Podlaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:27 AM   #12
viverrid OP
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldeikis
Second that opinion. Had fun last time, but if you guys haven't locked the route yet, I cast my two cents for more trails and *way* less roads. The "hero" sections last year were nice, especially the variety--
Yeah, it's hard to make any one event be the right event for every bike & rider. Our club (Berkshire Trail Riders Assn.) puts on three events each season, each of a different degree of technical difficulty.

Our Mudslinger (a/k/a Lipflapper) Enduro is one of the most difficult on the NETRA schedule. Every year the Trailbosses claim it will be easier, and every year they lie. In recent years we have had events where every C rider and most of the B riders "houred out"; and this even with a shortened course for C class. (Though this means that, depending on how far you made it before houring out, an houred-out rider might still place high enough for a trophy!)

Our Triple B Turkey Run uses a maximum of trail and a minimum of road, and may also be one of the tougher TRs. Last year, some of the hardest sections were private trails right near the end, and a lot of people skipped them and bailed for the Finish. The bikes that run the TR are mostly bikes that would also be at home on an Enduro, seldom a 650 and I don't think there has been a twin for several years.

The Dualsport Run was largely motivated by the perception that the Turkey Runs wre getting to be too much like un-timed Enduros, requiring Enduro bikes. It WILL be primarily a dirt road run. However by making the Optional Sections the Heroes instead of the Bypasses, we were able to include some routes that we would have been afraid to include last year.

The Dualsport event is a good way to explore the back roads of the Berkshires on a 650 or a GS twin, with a taste of some harder stuff available for those seeking more of a challenge. On some of the Hero Sections a DRZ or lighter bike would be recommeded, but the moderate ones, an ambitious rider on a GS twin could make it. The Main route is intended to be passable on a V-Strom but care will need to be taken in spots (last year, I dropped mine once while pre-running, not realizing the depth of sand that had built up at a dirt road to paved road corner).

Riders who really really really don't want to ride roads might like the Turkey Run better, but that's not until Fall. (So maybe you'll still come to the Dualsport for a season opener event?) Or you could come out for the Enduro!

viverrid screwed with this post 03-07-2006 at 07:33 AM Reason: sp
Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #13
ldeikis
Dirty daydreamer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverrid
Or you could come out for the Enduro!
HA! I wasn't born yesterday!

Sounds like what you've got in mind is a fantastic blend of different terrain, I'll be there (barring work obligations, as per always). Only question now is if I'm stupid enough to drag this big green beast through the nuts sections. I think I'm mature enough to turn down the challenge... but...

Thanks, looking forward to it.

-Luke
"To them, the bike's garage clutter. To us, it's a Beretta, half a mil' in cash, and a forged passport hidden under the floorboards. Whether it's used or not, that choice is always there." --Dan Walsh, Bike, December 2003
ldeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #14
Greg Podlaski
fat ass

Oddometer: 353
Thumb go for it

Luke

Seeing how you rode on Sunday i would say you would do just fine,we'll keep an eye out for you as we plan on going up.

Greg
Greg Podlaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:37 AM   #15
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
Would this be a 1150GS with Tourances friendly Ride?
dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote