User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #1
slofireman OP
Little D

Oddometer: 108
Paso to Parkfield and Beyond

Today Travis and I went on an exploration of the terrain basically in our backyard. With the chill in the air and clear skies, we headed out Jardine Rd. and went the backroads through wine country till we hit dirt. We took Cross Country Rd to Vineyard canyon. Vineyard Canyon Connects San Miguel to Parkfield, CA. After a quick stop in Parkfield we headed North on the Dirt Road that goes to Coalinga. While traveling a ways on the rd, we saw a gate on the right that Said Mine TR. Gate was unlocked and no signs were from keeping us out so we went forward. Beautiful views and country a lot people dont get a chance to see.

This is where we came out at Cross Country and Vineyard Rd.

Another Pic of Vineyard and Cross Country

Travis at Intersection

Our 2 Bikes Posing on Ridge Trail Rd.
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g3...tromandADV.jpg
I think this is a hunting ranch we were on.

Nice trails out here. The elevation is roughly 3300 ft.

You could see for miles today. Coalinga I think is in the distance

Entering Parkfield and where the north american plate begins. Lots of earthquakes daily out here. I can feel these tremblers at my house in Paso Robles quite often

This was on mine trail rd. I believe this was a hunting ranch also. The sign on the right says something about a hunting club boundary

Me heading up the ridge line trail. Watch out for that rock!!!

Yeah it snuck up on me and the ADV smacked it. Look at my rear tire in the air and the rock in the air. Travis took a great shot.

However I punctured the sidewall immediately. This always happens to me.

This kit has saved my but on many occasions. A must have when I go riding.

Taking my time throwing a plug to limp me back home. My rear tire now consists of 4 plugs, bald, and slime to top it off. I think it is time for a new one.

So we got the tire all plugged up and headed back down through parkfield to vineyard canyon and back to Cross Country Rd. We then headed south to Lowe Canyon Rd and went right till we were back to wine country and pavement. We finished the ride at my house in good ole jardine. Hope you enjoyed my Sunday afternoon in California.

Matt
slofireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582
Idea Man & I rode up the coast today, back on Carmel Valley Road. ~270 miles. Beautiful day to be out.

PM me sometime. Let's ride bikes!

AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
Blair

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofireman
Today Travis and I went on an exploration of the terrain basically in our backyard. With the chill in the air and clear skies, we headed out Jardine Rd. and went the backroads through wine country till we hit dirt. We took Cross Country Rd to Vineyard canyon. Vineyard Canyon Connects San Miguel to Parkfield, CA. After a quick stop in Parkfield we headed North on the Dirt Road that goes to Coalinga. While traveling a ways on the rd, we saw a gate on the right that Said Mine TR. Gate was unlocked and no signs were from keeping us out so we went forward. Beautiful views and country a lot people dont get a chance to see.

So we got the tire all plugged up and headed back down through parkfield to vineyard canyon and back to Cross Country Rd. We then headed south to Lowe Canyon Rd and went right till we were back to wine country and pavement. We finished the ride at my house in good ole jardine. Hope you enjoyed my Sunday afternoon in California.

Matt
Thanks for the invite you FF! Glad to see somebody is out there riding. I did look at the GS if that counts. Tell Travis not to be late to work tomorrow.

Blair
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #4
Blair

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
Idea Man & I rode up the coast today, back on Carmel Valley Road. ~270 miles. Beautiful day to be out.

PM me sometime. Let's ride bikes!

Looks like Tularcitos. You seem to take better pictures with one hand while riding then most people do when trying!

Blair
Old 01-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #5
slofireman OP
Little D

Sorry

Sorry about the non invite. I was kinda last minute thing we planned. Next time I will send an invite. I also was unaware if some of the spots I should be riding on and did not want to subject that to some of you. We were a little hesitant on some of the places we were. Have any of you done some of this area and have you experienced any problems?

I need to order an new tire from bits and pieces. Hopefully it wont take to long.

Matt

Blair I thought you were always working.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Nice action shots!! Looks like a great ride and a small adventure!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair
Looks like Tularcitos. You seem to take better pictures with one hand while riding then most people do when trying!

Blair
AceRph does all manner of things while riding. His photography is pretty impressive. We had planned to go east (Avenal, Pinnacles, etc) some but, being as it was a balmy 8 degrees in Creston and the pipes in the cafe were frozen at 0930, one of us had the idea that it might be nicer over on the coast and it was. As it was we still got to ride by some icy streams as we made our way back off the coast. We've got some great roads around here.
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:22 AM   #8
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,519
Great report and pics. I never looked to see if those gates were actually locked, I know the ones at the top of Parkfield are!
Seems like a CDF guy down that way would know where all the good dirt roads are?

Nice pic Roger
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
rock

hard to believe you could'nt have avoided that rock! love to ride that area to!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:30 PM   #10
slofireman OP
Little D

Rock

The rock snuck up on me and I saw it at the last minute. I was able to miss the front tire, but not the back. My 500 lb. pig isnt so nimble as my 450. Plus I was more focused on a good pic. I think travis placed it there to screw me up.

Matt
Old 01-17-2007, 11:22 AM   #11
Daytona_Rider
You should be racing

Oddometer: 1,099
Very nice report. Can't wait to reverse your ride (from the Fresno side) ... Now to find some time away from work - ARRRGGGHhh!

How is it that before I bought my new ADV I had plenty of time and now that I have it, I'm always here?

Paying for the ADV is the answer I suppose!

Hope to see you out there.
AFM #993 Come out and support the sport of motorcyling; attend an AFM Race Weekend!

Death Valley Ride(s) Rock

Dennis Carner Memorial Ride

Death Valley Video

1991 Honda NC30 (Racing sweetness) #993
2007 R1200GS Adventure: King of the World IMHO
Daytona_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #12
bajaburro
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
rocks

I would have gone down on my gs after hitting that thing! but I'm old though.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofireman
We then headed south to Lowe Canyon Rd and went right till we were back to wine country and pavement.
The junction of Cross Country Rd & Lowe Canyon used to have 3 signs on it. Each sign was on one of the roads away from the intersection. They all said Impassible in Wet Weather.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote