Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #46
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCATI
My dear Turkish friend,I read all about your trip for Alps.I do not know why,I can not see any photo.May be my PC. has problem.
I planned already one for this year but starts from Istanbul.That will be my first abroad tour.I think I need your advices.I ride Rt 1150 Bmw.Probably, I will be alone.It will be difficult alone as somebody says like that.Anyway, I decided to do it and I will.
First,What about my bike, is it OK. for that road.
Do you think I need to buy a GPS.
What about prices and cost for hotels etc.(Just for 2 weeks)
that is my routes:Istanbul-Selanik,Igoumenitsa to Ancona by Ferry,Pescara,Meran,Bolzano and passes,passes.And return.
I think to stay mostly in Salzburg and make daily pass tours.
şimdiden teşekkürler,
Are you using mozilla as browser, I heard that some people have problems seeing pictures with other browsers than IE. You can also check the same report in turkish at www.ikiteker.org .
Your bike is perfect for such a trip as long as you stick to asphalt and that's what I did in that trip too. You don't need a GPS, a good michelin map is enough. I actually printed out my route on www.viamichelin.com site and used it. I had an expensive german alps map designed for motorcycle but didn't need it much.
If I was you, instead of stationing in Salzburg, I would travel around, it is more fun that way. Depending on when you go there, for example august tends to bemore expensive since it is vacation time in Italy etc., you would pay at least 30 euros for one room and up. Camping is cheaper and very good quality in austrian and swiss alps, in Italy I would go for hotel since their campings are not at the same quality.
Ikiteker'de yazisirsak, turkce daha rahat tartisiriz, elimden geldigince yardimci olmaya calisirim baska merak ettigin konularda.
Thanks for reading my report.
viatormundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:21 AM   #47
Frogwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Outstanding report! This thread has really made me want to do the Alps myself this summer if my aging KLR is up to the task. I've started planning in my head already :)

Do you speak many languages by the way? Did you have any problems with communication?
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 AM   #48
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwell
Outstanding report! This thread has really made me want to do the Alps myself this summer if my aging KLR is up to the task. I've started planning in my head already :)

Do you speak many languages by the way? Did you have any problems with communication?
Thank you, I am glad that you liked my report. Yes, besides English I speak German, Turkish and Swedish. It is not a big problem in communicating with locals in English since that area is very touristic. It was little more problem in the Pyrenees (I assume you read my other report ) but a good incentive to learn little spanish which I think is a very friendly language.
Good luck in your trip.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #49
necron__99
Grrrrravel, nice.

Oddometer: 174
Great work, can't wait until I'm there myself. I haven't been to Austria since I was twelve years old, which is 28 years ago (Yikes!!! I'm getting old!! Nearly ancient). It will be nice to see it again, and the rest of the countries I have planned for this trip.

Ad augusta per angusta
- To high places by narrow roads
necron__99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #50
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by necron__99
Great work, can't wait until I'm there myself. I haven't been to Austria since I was twelve years old, which is 28 years ago (Yikes!!! I'm getting old!! Nearly ancient). It will be nice to see it again, and the rest of the countries I have planned for this trip.
Thanks. I liked your Norway report a lot too and plan to post my Norway report soon. Where do you live in Sweden? edit: stupid me, it says Johanishus already
Old 03-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #51
necron__99
Grrrrravel, nice.

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
Thanks. I liked your Norway report a lot too and plan to post my Norway report soon. Where do you live in Sweden? edit: stupid me, it says Johanishus already
Det är ju jag som är gammal och senilcement.

Ad augusta per angusta
- To high places by narrow roads
necron__99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #52
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 535
Great Report

I am taking my honeymoon in Munich and we will be riding the Dolomites in early September. I was wondering what kind of weather I should expect during this time of year?

I loved the shots you took of the alps cant wait to ride them myself.

Thanks
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:32 PM   #53
JFerg
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ahmet, many thanks for this report. It is very, very interesting and helpful.

On 1 August I leave London for Scotland, Orkneys, Shetland to Norway, to Nordkapp, then down through Finland, the Baltic States, Poland, Czech Repiblic, Croatia, Bulgaria to Turkey. From Turkey across Thessaloniki, Igoumenitsa, ferry to Venice, then ride to Rome. Pilgrimage to Mandelo del Lario, followed by a week in the Alps, and a few laps of the Nurburgring on the way back to the UK. Two of us, on Guzzis.

I've got a couple of weeks of business on the bike in the Uk before then, so now only 19 sleeps before departure.....

JFerg
JFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:53 PM   #54
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFerg
Ahmet, many thanks for this report. It is very, very interesting and helpful.

On 1 August I leave London for Scotland, Orkneys, Shetland to Norway, to Nordkapp, then down through Finland, the Baltic States, Poland, Czech Repiblic, Croatia, Bulgaria to Turkey. From Turkey across Thessaloniki, Igoumenitsa, ferry to Venice, then ride to Rome. Pilgrimage to Mandelo del Lario, followed by a week in the Alps, and a few laps of the Nurburgring on the way back to the UK. Two of us, on Guzzis.

I've got a couple of weeks of business on the bike in the Uk before then, so now only 19 sleeps before departure.....

JFerg
Wow, what a trip You gonna love Norway (I was there last summer and it was a great trip, didnt have time to report it yet) but it can rain a bit (oops you are from London, immune to rain ) Finland is little boring, not many curvey roads but nice landscape with many many lakes and interesting people. Where in Turkey are you going to be?
Old 06-26-2006, 11:52 PM   #55
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by viatormundi
The cathedral

cool report

just a clarification that's not the cathedral of Florence. That's Piazza Santa Croce. The front of that church is similar to the Cathedral but you can see the brick walls. The cathedral is bigger, has a huge cupola and is all made of marble - among many other things....
Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM   #56
oguzergin
Lazy Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Great report man...

I read it on www.ikiteker.org few months ago, but I couldn't stop myself reading it again :)
oguzergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 11:16 AM   #57
viatormundi OP
Citizen of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar
cool report

just a clarification that's not the cathedral of Florence. That's Piazza Santa Croce. The front of that church is similar to the Cathedral but you can see the brick walls. The cathedral is bigger, has a huge cupola and is all made of marble - among many other things....
Thx for the correction
Old 06-27-2006, 11:43 AM   #58
Uzay
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 6,765
Ahmet,

Great pix, i want new ride reports

Regards

Ride till the end, until the end

KTM 950 Adv
Uzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:25 PM   #59
emelgee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Question about coast road to Dubrovnik

Great report and pictures - I'm planning a similar trip from UK, across Austria, Slovenia and into Croatia this september and found your write-up very useful. When I look at the map it seems that the coast road down to Dubrovnik passes through Bosnia for a few miles. Is this actually the case, and are there border controls along the road. The reason I'm asking is that my UK insurance doesn't cover me for Bosnia.

Thanks
Mark.
emelgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:47 AM   #60
malmon
unknown noobody

Oddometer: 207
"Are you using mozilla as browser, I heard that some people have problems seeing pictures with other browsers than IE."
It takes me 3 clicks more to view a picture in mozilla than one click in IE (if that helps). Heard that most universities are using mozilla though

This is one of the few threads worth going back to and saw it again today, I guess I will keep doing that until I get there.

Thanks again Viatormundi for sharing
http://malmonfz1.imgur.com/
malmon is offline   Reply With Quote