tireburner

Oddometer: 19
oh my, that is cute!
Adventure Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 01:51 PM   #77
zap2504
Dave E.

Oddometer: 546
I also have one of the 8" wheel versions. Originally purchased/assembled a very long time ago by my father-in-law to haul his aluminum boat. I bought it more than a decade ago for general use. Re-greased the bearings with synthetic grease, replaced the bed with exterior 3/4" plywood and created a 2'-high sidewall with removable tail section. Replaced the tires/wheels when they got age cracks; added a spare tire rack for a 3rd wheel. It's carried a variety of drywall and other construction materials, 4 different bikes from different locations, variety of furniture to two different colleges at either end of my state, camping equipment for some vacations and various other loads. It could probably fold, but does not have the "T" wheel setup (nor do I have room in my garage) so it sits outside. I do have a gallon of Rustoleum paint to paint it some time.
zap2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #78
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,886
I've got the predecessor to the sweet Harbor Freight folding trailer:

The way the newer ones fold is much better and easier than mine. On mine you have to lay underneath and remove 4 rusty bolts. I've given up folding it and it now sits outside beside our house. I can't believe the neighbors haven't complained yet, it looks pretty rough. It's about 15 years old now and has been outside for about 5 years now. Getting rusty and the paint is flaking off, but it still works.

As others have mentioned, the bearings it cam with were not very good. I had to replace mine after the first time I used it in the rain. I've also installed Bearing Buddies, and have had no trouble since then. I estimate it has 5-7,000 miles on it, and has brought home 8 motorcycles. Still on the original tires. I always carry a spare but have been lucky so far. I've noticed the new trailers and tires carry a speed limit if 55 mph. Mind did not, and it has spent hours going 70+. Just keep them inflated correctly.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #79
Thinc2 OP
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPulldown

Didn't know there were Harbor Freights in Ireland.
They don't - I was living in Colorado at the time

I agree with the loctite - I found it a good idea to check all the bolts before a longer trip, as they are subjected to a ton of vibration.

You get what you pay for. For under $300, this is a decent trailer for the money. Clearly it's not comparable to an $800-1500 trailer.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:37 AM   #80
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I got it registered at the DMV today. In and out, no problem. $12 registration fee, whoopie.

What wasn't so easy was putting the damn thing together yesterday. What a PITA But, I paid $240 for the thing including tax, with the 12'' wheels, so I can't complain too much.

Regarding the bearings, Harbor Freight sells a knockoff Bearing Buddy called something like a bearing protector. The idea is you hammer it on and fill it with grease... but I'll be damned if I could get the thing to stay on there. I hammered the hell out of it and it just fell right off every time.

I'm guessing the Bearing Buddies stay on there much better on this trailer? I'll have to order a set... if only because the grease recepticle on the hub snapped off on one of the wheels when I was filling it with grease
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM   #81
67L48
Dangerously Incompetent

Oddometer: 46
Have a HF trailer and like it. Works great. Well worth the $225.

http://klxforum.suncup.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #82
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
About how big is the package that this thing comes in?
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:52 AM   #83
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Two boxes, both of which fit in the back of my wife's Honda Fit. One is about 4' long, the other not so long but taller and wider. Both are pretty heavy, but they'll load 'em for ya.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #84
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48
Have a HF trailer and like it. Works great. Well worth the $225.

http://klxforum.suncup.net/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=142
Curious, when you say you got two sheets of plywood for decking, did you stack them to make the deck, or use one sheet for the deck and the other for the sides? Was wondering whether it would still fold with a double-layer of plywood on there.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #85
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
I've had mine for about ten years. One big CC trip and a lot of trailering bikes around Colorado. Took it to Death Valley and back in the Spring(too much snow to ride).
About 4 years ago I replaced the plywood deck. I decided I would not cut the sheet in half as I never folded it anyway. The one time I did fold it, when I got it unfolded I pinched the wires to one of the tail lights.
Other than greasing and replacing the bearings I haven't done much.
I do carry a spare tire though I haven't had to use it.
DADODIRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #86
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,556
I am not sure if this will work but it is for 20% off any one item.
http://www.harborfreight22.com/Forwa...?r=5753_919001
06 BMW RTP - BLACK & WHITE
Meet & Greet Thursdays 6pm
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #87
BobDobalina
Adventurer

Same coupon w/o having to enter in any info:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...9&keycode=0000

And yes, it does work on the trailer if your local HF has it in stock, which it probably will. My store had 12 in stock.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #88
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
The Harbor Freight trailer I got (and is still in pieces) has little grease fittings on the hubs, inside of the wheels. Are those usable to squirt grease into the bearings? Or do I really need to pull the assembly apart?

It will only be used for a short 200 mile trip the first time out, and I'm looking to reduce my turnaround time where I have to assemble the trailer, fix the bike, and bring both back to school. Oh, and I might have to install the hitch there as well.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #89
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates
The Harbor Freight trailer I got (and is still in pieces) has little grease fittings on the hubs, inside of the wheels. Are those usable to squirt grease into the bearings? Or do I really need to pull the assembly apart?

It will only be used for a short 200 mile trip the first time out, and I'm looking to reduce my turnaround time where I have to assemble the trailer, fix the bike, and bring both back to school. Oh, and I might have to install the hitch there as well.

They're OK to grease the bearings, but they're very cheap grease fittings, mine broke right off. I replaced them with better fittings and that's the way I grease the bearings. Grease them before going on your first trip.

I've got more time and money in my trailer than it cost me but I'm happy with the end result. It can haul 3 bikes but it did require some additional work. I use the E-track for hold down points and it works well.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:47 PM   #90
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,540
I've bought several of these trailers over the years and have never had a problem other than worn out tires. They've all been the 8' models, some with 12" wheels and some with 8". I have 2, 8 footers right now, 1 with tall sides used as a garbage trailer, one flat bed used to haul my ultralight and dirt bike. On the flat bed I cut and extended the axle and modified the hubs to accept 14" car wheels.

Just yesterday I picked up my first 4' one to tow my little dirt bike behind my Suzuki Swift (like a Geo Metro). It was on sale for $169 and I used a 20% off coupon for a total of $134. A few bits of metal from the scrap pile made it into a nice little bike trailer. I flipped the axle over and put it on the top side of the leaf springs to lower it a few inches. The Suzuki pulls it just fine. Here's a pic.

hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote