Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #31
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
These will be my next tires if my 270's need replacing before 3K. I only have 1,500 on them (all pavement) and they are still very solid. If I can manage 5K on these, I think I might just stick with them for the price.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #32
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 20,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
14000km no big deal!!!!! That's 8805 miles "to you and me Rusty".
I'd like to see the 606's with that many miles on them!

I believe you. Iíve got a set of 606ís waiting to be installed so no first hand experience with them. I have a friend up in Seattle that had 4000 miles on his 606ís and everyone agreed they looked good to go another 1000. Since I don't use metric much, I made a mistake on the conversion.. I rough estimated 1 mile to be 2.2km. Thatís about right for pounds to kilograms but not miles to kilometers.. I screwed that up.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #33
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,387
Motoplaner, Personally I don't like the 606 front at all. Still slides out on you in the mud. What I have been doing is running a dunlop mx front tire. Sure its a bit more squirely on the pave, but once you wear half the tread in the front its ok. And I still managed 2500 out of it!

I guess I just want everything in a tire but they just don't make it.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #34
Ibarra
Viva Mexico !

Oddometer: 327
Mefo rubber is distributed by Cyclops Distributing in the US, although they only sell to dealers, I bet they can point you in the right direction.
1-800-541-8904

www.mimsmx.com

To travel is to let life happen
Peace, love and open trails...
Ibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #35
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Motoplaner, Personally I don't like the 606 front at all. Still slides out on you in the mud. What I have been doing is running a dunlop mx front tire. Sure its a bit more squirely on the pave, but once you wear half the tread in the front its ok. And I still managed 2500 out of it!

I guess I just want everything in a tire but they just don't make it.
I'm taking notes. I'm going from the wings of death to the 606's so that's gotta be an improvement.. at least off-road.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #36
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm going from the wings of death to the 606's
Wings of death!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #37
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
I visited Mefo.com and discovered there are international dealers, Cyclops is one of these and the only one in the US too. These tires should be a lot easier to buy.

Geoff-
www.oldrice.com

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #38
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Motoplaner - I see you are getting 606s.

I yanked my Mefo off and replaced them with 606s for a trip to Big Bend a couple of weeks ago since we were doing a lot of dirt.

The 606s were scary in a straight line. Anytime I got above 70 the bike would start to wobble. I got up to 80 and thought I was about to enter a tankslapper. This was fully loaded down though. I was running the recommended pressures from the Dunlop site of 30 in the front and 33 in the back. I later bumped the front up to 36 and it got better. With the bags off it was stable at 80 with a slight wobble at 85 and then as over 2/3 of the tread wore off over 1500 miles it was fine at 80-85 fully loaded on the way home.

I was pleasantly surprised at their grip on the pavement. I entered a 90 degree turn too hot with my head up my ass on damp pavement. Yanked the Dakar over to the left and drug hard parts with no problem. I thought I was going to splat the guardrail but they held fine. So far they have 1800 miles on them with about 4mm of tread left. If it wasn't for the weeble wobble issue I'd buy these again. I'll remount the Mefo soon and run it to nothing to see how long it lasts.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #39
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer90
Motoplaner - I see you are getting 606s.

I yanked my Mefo off and replaced them with 606s for a trip to Big Bend a couple of weeks ago since we were doing a lot of dirt.

The 606s were scary in a straight line. Anytime I got above 70 the bike would start to wobble. I got up to 80 and thought I was about to enter a tankslapper. This was fully loaded down though. I was running the recommended pressures from the Dunlop site of 30 in the front and 33 in the back. I later bumped the front up to 36 and it got better. With the bags off it was stable at 80 with a slight wobble at 85 and then as over 2/3 of the tread wore off over 1500 miles it was fine at 80-85 fully loaded on the way home.

I was pleasantly surprised at their grip on the pavement. I entered a 90 degree turn too hot with my head up my ass on damp pavement. Yanked the Dakar over to the left and drug hard parts with no problem. I thought I was going to splat the guardrail but they held fine. So far they have 1800 miles on them with about 4mm of tread left. If it wasn't for the weeble wobble issue I'd buy these again. I'll remount the Mefo soon and run it to nothing to see how long it lasts.

Brewer,
Thanks for that info. Just got them today. Maybe Iíll try some burnouts on the WOD before I put the 606ís on.
I heard about the high speed howl on the 606ís but not about wobbles. My bike (DRZ400S) would get a wobble too when loaded down a bit with the old tires right around 70 plus or so - especially passing trucks. I put a fender bag on the fender with some irons, tube, patch kit and CO2ís etc. NO WOBBLES at all, loaded or unloaded, wind gusts, trucks and up to 100mph indicated. I am duly warned about the 606ís though, thanks. It was good to hear about the wet road holding too as it rains here a lot.
Oh, how do you like the 606's compared to TKC's on your 650GS? I run the TKC's on mine and like the wet road stick but not the price.
Maybe I'll have to try these Mefo's out in the long run.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM   #40
ride no evo
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
got the 606's on right now and they run fine at 65 to 70 with no wobble and 22psi front and rear. However I almost bit it like 3 times the other day riding hard on the pavement. I like to get a little silly but when both tires are sliding in a turn sometimes a little pee comes out.

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 PM   #41
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Mud test on mefo's!

Rode in some serious mud today, very slick river bottoms. I was totally impressed with the mefo handling. Of course I aired down to 3psi!! With that low pressure I had no problems going up any creek banks and never come close to getting stuck! I aired down to 10 in the front. A little slick but still great for a 50/50 tire!1

My friend on the ktm had a maxis 6006 on the back and a mt21 on the front. The mefo's had No problem going any where the maxis equiped adventure went .

See!! No problems at all!

Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 AM   #42
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Mud test on mefo's!
You're one Mefo mofo.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:47 AM   #43
Macster
Fraknagget extraordinare

Oddometer: 41
Anyone have any info on the Metzler Karoos?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #44
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
Personally if I can get 7,000 out of a good 50/50 tread I will be stoked!! I have tried about every good tire out there and average around 3500 before I feel it nessasary to replace them. I have ran: tkc80's, sahara 111, michelen tx66, dunlop 606, duro's, kenda 270, cheng shen 755, maxis 6006 and I am sure I forgot a couple. The kenda's wore the best, but they scared me on pavement! Continental's were the best all around tire, but only 3500miles
I'd say you got us all beat on 'try and try again'.

Question: I just put a TKC on front and MAXXIS C5006 on rear. one of them is really 'singing' loudly at highway speed [right around 70 it is at loudest] kind of a high-pitched whistle-meets-shriek.

is that the Maxxis talking to me?

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 10:18 AM   #45
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
I'd say you got us all beat on 'try and try again'.

Question: I just put a TKC on front and MAXXIS C5006 on rear. one of them is really 'singing' loudly at highway speed [right around 70 it is at loudest] kind of a high-pitched whistle-meets-shriek.

is that the Maxxis talking to me?

z
My TKCs were pretty quiet. I have never ran the MaxXis tho. I think it looks like it belongs on a toy.

On the 606's I love mine (front)
Ran it in the sand and it was awesome. Well more awesome than the TKC which aint so much so in the sand. I did get some shakin aboot 80 but I only
have 12psi.
The TKC is a pretty good rear tire and if I dont find something that will last 4k I will use it again for long Mexico trips

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote