Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2006, 06:39 AM   #61
Snake in the Grass
aka CRITTER

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by firerigger
These tires ROCK. The only condition they couldn't handle was deep sand (I'll post some pics in the ride report), but that's a lot to ask from any tire that is intended for 50/50 use. They hooked up good in everything else, quiet and smooth on the highway, no discernable wear. So far, pending more info on the long term wear, they are definately worth the $$$.
My sentiments exactly

Glad to see you enjoying them as I have.
Snake in the Grass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #62
Tengai650
Random Task

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
The only condition they couldn't handle was deep sand ...
Ya... I was thinking, what if you mounted them backwards? I'd think they'd do better in the sand that way.
Tengai650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:45 AM   #63
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengai650
Ya... I was thinking, what if you mounted them backwards? I'd think they'd do better in the sand that way.
Hmmm... Interesting thought. Tread isn't widely spaced enough that the direction would matter, I think. Besides, I don't like sand enough to set my bike up just for that, and if I did, I prolly wouldn't run the Mefo's anyway. The sand thing wasn't a complaint, just an observation. I highly reccomend these tires to anyone who wants to truly Dual Sport ride.
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:34 AM   #64
ride no evo
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Hmmm... Interesting thought. Tread isn't widely spaced enough that the direction would matter, I think. Besides, I don't like sand enough to set my bike up just for that, and if I did, I prolly wouldn't run the Mefo's anyway. The sand thing wasn't a complaint, just an observation. I highly reccomend these tires to anyone who wants to truly Dual Sport ride.
Ok so who sells these friggin things in an 18 rear??? I will buy some as soon as an 18 is located

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:33 PM   #65
fire_strom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
arrowhead motorsports and klr650.net can both get them.
scott

fire_strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #66
ride no evo
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom
arrowhead motorsports and klr650.net can both get them.
scott
Thanks!!

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #67
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
mefo's

Was just reading an update from a couple of fellow canuck's who are riding in South America, Currently in Chile,,, Running Mefo Explorer 99's? on a KLR 650,, he got 15000 Kilometers on a rear, Just changed over to a Dura & he say's No Likey,,
http://calebdykstra.bravejournal.com/. Got it from KLR650.com I b'lieve
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:46 PM   #68
firerigger
Trauma waiting to happen

Oddometer: 810
In sand, I call them the Excavator!

Don't try this at home. Better yet, don't try it anywhere!
firerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 11:08 PM   #69
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Wow, a KLR DitchWitch. You could write your bike's depreciation off for tax purposes with that. I'm not a CPA, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #70
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
any updates on mileage and performance?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #71
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Yea I have about 2000miles on them now, maybe alittle more. Measured tread debth at 500 mi and was around 10 mm. Now they are around 7 - 8 mm deep in the center(rear) If they keep on wearing the same I am estimating 6 or 7 thousand miles. I am running them as hard as anyone though. From poping wheelies,to skidding the rear tire on pavement, constant commuting(everyday) and agressive offroading. I won't be getting 14000 miles , but 6 or 7 would be my record for wear. No complaints on handleing, Rear still has a round profile.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #72
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
Yea I have about 2000miles on them now, maybe alittle more. Measured tread debth at 500 mi and was around 10 mm. Now they are around 7 - 8 mm deep in the center(rear) If they keep on wearing the same I am estimating 6 or 7 thousand miles. I am running them as hard as anyone though. From poping wheelies,to skidding the rear tire on pavement, constant commuting(everyday) and agressive offroading. I won't be getting 14000 miles , but 6 or 7 would be my record for wear. No complaints on handleing, Rear still has a round profile.

Have you ridden on road in the wet with them? It seems that a lot of the higher mileage 50/50 tires don't do so well in the wet. I live in Seattle.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:11 PM   #73
holycaveman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,379
Quote:
Have you ridden on road in the wet with them? It seems that a lot of the higher mileage 50/50 tires don't do so well in the wet. I live in Seattle.
Seattle? I have heard about the rain up there! Yep, I was impressed with the handling in the rain. Now again I have been running 606's and knobbies, compared to them, let it rain let it rain.

Realy though they do seem to handle everything I throw at them. I had a 5 mi black ice ride a few days ago. very scary, the 10psi front and rear I believe kept me up. I am not saying the mefo's are great on black ice, I am just saying I kept it up for 5 miles of pure ice period. Was going 40mph in high gear(just putting)and let off the gas and the rear wheel slid alittle . In the mud and slick stuff they are definatly NOT knobbies, They will go everywhere aired down, but your front end will slide in the mud if you don't watch it.

They are a TRUE 50/50 tire, that so far is wearing better than any other tire I have used. And preforms as good as or better on the road, and as good as but not the best, off road. But I have only a couple thousand milse on them(hard miles) I am interested to see the end mileage at 1/16 in tread depth(state law) . I wont run them bald. If I actually get 6,000 or better, I won't bother with trying any other tire.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:46 AM   #74
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Mefo's

BTW 15000 Km = bout 9000 miles
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 AM   #75
Snake in the Grass
aka CRITTER

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman
If I actually get 6,000 or better, I won't bother with trying any other tire.
Yes, and remember, those are 'holycaveman' miles
what does that equate to in 'averagejoe' miles ?

For what it's worth, I have been doing pretty much the same with my Mefos, just trying to see how much abuse they will take, granted, my bike has seen little action this winter but I have roughly 6000 hard street and gravel miles on them now and looks like they could go at least another 4000 if I stop abusing them.
Yeah, I know, I need to ride more
Snake in the Grass is offline   Reply With Quote