ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 05:52 PM   #31
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,858
Hey INCABIKER, you plan on riding your steed up to dawsonville or trucking it. If more than 2-3 people plan on trucking then I would suggest Flux designating a 2nd staging area.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #32
jorge
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
If you mean the War Of Northern Agression, Danville Va. is usully named as the last capital: though Charlotte makes claims.
Hey Walter, lets pirate the thread... you are correct Danville VA. Lunch is on me this weekend (that's your prize)... where is our ride... these Jawja boyz are out posting us...

to my souther brothers this is Walter (the unporclaimed) el Comandante of the NJ Geurilla Dual Sport riders

(really Walter you are too modest) Walts good for an everchanging weekend ride all through the tri state area! Maybe Walter can lead a ride down to the North Jawja moutains... what do you say Walter?
__________________
Branchburg, NJ
--------------------
V-Strom DL1000 '03
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 PM   #33
tomcat
Data Wrangler
 
tomcat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Andover, NJ
Oddometer: 778
Unproclaimed or not, I think he would win a unanimous vote


Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
Hey Walter, lets pirate the thread... you are correct Danville VA. Lunch is on me this weekend (that's your prize)... where is our ride... these Jawja boyz are out posting us...

to my souther brothers this is Walter (the unporclaimed) el Comandante of the NJ Geurilla Dual Sport riders

(really Walter you are too modest) Walts good for an everchanging weekend ride all through the tri state area! Maybe Walter can lead a ride down to the North Jawja moutains... what do you say Walter?
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:02 AM   #34
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,598
We can meet in my driveway no problem, there is always the street to park on. My drive is a decent size anyway.

Provisions? You. A bike. Water. A snack or two. Don't forget your gear. It can be a tad chilly in the am up here, but it will most likely warm up during the day as it has been.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:46 AM   #35
soboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
soboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 2,283
The only reason I am trucking my old Yamaha up to flux's place is that it tops out at 45 mph and it is mighty unpleasant at that speed - lol. It would be a long, nasty ride from Cobb County on the old DT250. But it is a lot of fun in the woods and handles the nasty stuff a whole lot better than the WeeStrom.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:28 AM   #36
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan
 
unlawfulsm's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Thomasville, GA
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
There has been ongoing discussion here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122511 about a dual sport ride. So, this Sunday the 12th is it. I have somehow gotten myself in a position to plan some sort of route (you guys just don't know!) worthy of travel. Here are the plans thus far:

(GET READY)

Meet at my place (what is good for everyone? earlier the better for me, but then again I don't have to ride to the meeting point! ) in the morning. Travel as much dirt as possible. There are going to be stretches of road, I can't help that too much. My address is 130 Greenwood Park Way, Dawsonville, GA 30534. It is a new neighborhood and is not yet on alot of maps and GPS, so I will tell you that it is halfway b/twn Downtown Dawsonville and Downtown Dahlonega on Hwy 9. VERY easy to find me. Then once we are all acquainted and such, we head north a mile on Hwy 9, immediately get off the beaten path and head to what I think is called Tobacco Patch Rd, which will put us on Hwy 52 for a short minute or 2. We'll ride to FS 28-2 behind Amicalola Falls (we won't see the falls, unless someone REALLY wants to and never has before) to a plane wreck site. From there we head towards Tickanetley, hit some pavement, north to FS 42 to Winding Stair Gap. Head up FS 58 to FS 333 to Swinging Bridge ( I am confused as to what gate is closed, could use some help there) to FS 42-2 to Suches. From there I haven't worked details, but this so far should make for a nice morning to early afternoon. I think Suches Creek may be in order, just for the *f* of it. I'll work on the rest of the way to get home, and post tomorrow.

Ride pace will be laid back as far as I am concernned. I just want to get out and chill, take in the scenery. Besides we have some rookies wanting to ride! I'm not out to kill myself anyway! Maybe the GA DUAL SPORT WANNABE will lead! (If you go, I am sure that will be the case! I need to dual sport my 200 EXC Mike!).

Who's on?



I am in. What time is this going to get started? I live in Cleveland, GA and have been looking to get to together with fellow adv'ers for a ride. I'll be riding my wee strom. I have been doing lots of off-road North of Helen and around Suches the last couple of weeks. I mostly go during the week (did 600 miles last week with no weekend riding) havent seen anyone else around up there either. Thanks Josh
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #37
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 9,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge
Hey Walter, lets pirate the thread... you are correct Danville VA. Lunch is on me this weekend (that's your prize)... where is our ride...
Nah, I want to see how the Ga. ride turns out. I suspect there's tons of good b-t riding there but hardly ever see any reports. I've done some excellent road riding there.

I have some ideas for this Saturday (Frank's handling Sunday), but it depends on the weather- specifically the total lack of rain.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 AM   #38
jorge
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Oddometer: 836
Dan you may need both bikes...

To Dan, looks like we got another V-Strom Brother going too... so maybe we should take the Wee... do we have a trailer too...thus trailer the Wee and load the Yama in the truck bed and see who shows... what to do???

Sometimes happens on our rides too...big mix of bikes and riding intent... but the ride leader makes the call on where and when...everybody decides to run the road or trail as you go... Last ride that i was on had a guy on a Ninja and when he saw the train rail service road as the next leg he bailed... sadly the leg was short and we stayed on roads after that so he missed out.

Perhaps we need a KLR 650 or a DR Z400 for YOU and Steve? Hmmm a mighty Thumper....yes that's what we need. Have Fun boys no more posts until after your ride...lets see a good report. Jorge.
__________________
Branchburg, NJ
--------------------
V-Strom DL1000 '03
DRZ 400S '02
XR 650 L '97
--------------------
Often wrong, never in doubt...Learn from your mistakes
jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #39
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan
 
unlawfulsm's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Thomasville, GA
Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
We can meet in my driveway no problem, there is always the street to park on. My drive is a decent size anyway.

Provisions? You. A bike. Water. A snack or two. Don't forget your gear. It can be a tad chilly in the am up here, but it will most likely warm up during the day as it has been.
I have been out on the bike everyday in N. GA for the last couple of weeks and all you really need is a jacket with a liner and overpants to keep warm. But the heated grips do make it nice.
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #40
soboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
soboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
I am in. What time is this going to get started? I live in Cleveland, GA and have been looking to get to together with fellow adv'ers for a ride. I'll be riding my wee strom. I have been doing lots of off-road North of Helen and around Suches the last couple of weeks. I mostly go during the week (did 600 miles last week with no weekend riding) havent seen anyone else around up there either. Thanks Josh
Kickstands up at 10:00 am - see you there!
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:56 AM   #41
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer
 
beefjerky's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta baby, yeah!
Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertB
Ok, I'd like to get in on some of this action. If y'all don't mind a guy on a street legal dirtbike with a 60 mile range (between gas stops), dressed like he's ready to ride an enduro, I'd like to tag along.

I'd like to post the details of this ride on the Georgia Off Road D/S forum, if that's cool???

I'll be coming from Peachtree Shitty.

Just a heads up, I don't know the route that Flux has planned, but I've been up in that area with a 100 mile range bike and almost had to push it a few times. be prepared to be stealing gas out of someones bike. I've got a gallon or so that could be sucked out of mine. and we could always ravage a Weestrom.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #42
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Incabiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Oddometer: 1,050
Oh, well the gas mileage thing pretty much throws me outta the ride. I have a 1.9 Gallon tank and from what I have read the KLX 250s will get about 52 - 55 MPG. Thats the only thing that I will probably modify on this bike, as soon as they get a bigger tank to fit it without having to take all kinds of crap off the bike. Other then that this bike is great for a noob like me. So if there are no gas stops within 100 miles then I will be stuck in the mud. Oh well, if this is the case then I will go up to Ellijay and just find alot of the old FS trails that I used to ride on my mountain bike, that way I know my way around. If the gas mileage thing is not a problem, then I am trailering my bike up to the house, to many damned crazy people down here in Georgia, I'm not gonna chance it on the free way with a light bike that gets blown around in the wind easily, really easily that is. I bought this bike to take me out to the roads when I have too to get to another fire road or trail, and those are the conditions agreed upon by my wife if I was to get a bike, and she is my master, I must obey
Incabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:49 AM   #43
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer
 
beefjerky's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta baby, yeah!
Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incabiker
Oh, well the gas mileage thing pretty much throws me outta the ride. I have a 1.9 Gallon tank and from what I have read the KLX 250s will get about 52 - 55 MPG. Thats the only thing that I will probably modify on this bike, as soon as they get a bigger tank to fit it without having to take all kinds of crap off the bike. Other then that this bike is great for a noob like me. So if there are no gas stops within 100 miles then I will be stuck in the mud. Oh well, if this is the case then I will go up to Ellijay and just find alot of the old FS trails that I used to ride on my mountain bike, that way I know my way around. If the gas mileage thing is not a problem, then I am trailering my bike up to the house, to many damned crazy people down here in Georgia, I'm not gonna chance it on the free way with a light bike that gets blown around in the wind easily, really easily that is. I bought this bike to take me out to the roads when I have too to get to another fire road or trail, and those are the conditions agreed upon by my wife if I was to get a bike, and she is my master, I must obey

Hey I wasn't trying to scare anybody off, there will be gas to go around, just need a way to get it from one bike to the other. That's the whole point to riding in a group. Somebody will have a tube if somebody else gets a flat, somebody will be on a KLR if anybody runs out of gas, etc. You don't really think I ENJOY hanging out with guys named DirtySouth, and Flux do you?
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #44
soboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
soboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incabiker
Oh, well the gas mileage thing pretty much throws me outta the ride. I have a 1.9 Gallon tank and from what I have read the KLX 250s will get about 52 - 55 MPG. Thats the only thing that I will probably modify on this bike, as soon as they get a bigger tank to fit it without having to take all kinds of crap off the bike. Other then that this bike is great for a noob like me. So if there are no gas stops within 100 miles then I will be stuck in the mud. Oh well, if this is the case then I will go up to Ellijay and just find alot of the old FS trails that I used to ride on my mountain bike, that way I know my way around. If the gas mileage thing is not a problem, then I am trailering my bike up to the house, to many damned crazy people down here in Georgia, I'm not gonna chance it on the free way with a light bike that gets blown around in the wind easily, really easily that is. I bought this bike to take me out to the roads when I have too to get to another fire road or trail, and those are the conditions agreed upon by my wife if I was to get a bike, and she is my master, I must obey
Nah, just get your ass over to flux's on Sunday and ride. My DT 250 has a 2 gallon tank and I might get 75 miles out of it if I'm lucky (it's a 2 stroke). If I run dry, flux or someone else will help me out, right flux?
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #45
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!
 
flux_capacitor's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Cumming GA
Oddometer: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Hey I wasn't trying to scare anybody off, there will be gas to go around, just need a way to get it from one bike to the other. That's the whole point to riding in a group. Somebody will have a tube if somebody else gets a flat, somebody will be on a KLR if anybody runs out of gas, etc. You don't really think I ENJOY hanging out with guys named DirtySouth, and Flux do you?
Yup, it is a communist thang!

Seriously, you must come with us! I have a hand held pump (very small and compact) that I will bring. Gas will be no worries. There are enough of us with big tanks. We will hit a gas station somewhere along the way. If nothing else, Suches has one and if we all start running low we will modify our trip. Only thing I ask is PLEASE ARRIVE AT MY HOUSE ALREADY FILLED UP, and ready to go. There is a gas station in Dawsonville, but none for awhile once we get going.

Beef Jerky, are you riding? I haven't seen you in a LONG time, bro! Hope you've been doing all right. Been busy with wedding plans over on this end.

Sounds like we got a nice group here. Some noobies which is always fun! Just kidding, guys, you are in good hands here. It is so weird being the guy on the planning side.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014