ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #46
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Nah, just get your ass over to flux's on Sunday and ride. My DT 250 has a 2 gallon tank and I might get 75 miles out of it if I'm lucky (it's a 2 stroke). If I run dry, flux or someone else will help me out, right flux?
Yup!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #47
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Hey Flux, what ballpark time do you think you'll reach the turnoff at Amicalola Falls off 52? Is it High Shoals Rd.?
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #48
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman
Hey Flux, what ballpark time do you think you'll reach the turnoff at Amicalola Falls off 52? Is it High Shoals Rd.?
I honestly don't know. Depends on how everyone does I guess. By myself I can be there in under an hour. If I had to guess I would say 11:30/12:00. That should be realistic, but since I got the time machine I have lost all perception of time.

I do think it is High Shoals Rd.

Why'd you mention "Ballpark?" Now I want a hot dog. I don't even like hot dogs.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #49
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool, will try to meet you guys there.
Sounds like a great ride.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:24 PM   #50
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/drivi...A0541?dayNum=4

Gonna be a nice day for sure.

Does anybody want to see Amicalola Falls? If so we can meet you at the top of the falls, or if not we can meet you at the intersection with the plane wreck site. Do you know where that is? Either way we work it I am game for.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #51
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I'm thinking about it, why don't you just meet us at my place? Or off of Hwy 52 near Nimblewill Gap (maybe 5-7 minutes)? It is not very far from Amicalola then you can ride the trails behind the falls with us as well. Not to mention, you could save the $3 it will cost you to go through the Amicalola State Park main entrance....just wonderring is all....
Old 03-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #52
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm mapping it now. I'll try to make your place.
I remember the last time I tried to meet you guys on the road. That was close.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:55 PM   #53
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Excellent! Let me know if you need better directions...my place doesn't show up on mapquest apparently..new street.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:36 PM   #54
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Alright then, Im bringing my bike on up to explore the North Jawja Mountains, Yeeee hawww. Whoever lives close to me and definatley knows the way to Flux's house, if it would'nt be too much trouble, would you mind meeting up with me at your place of choice so I can follow you up there. I live in Paulding county right on the Paulding, Cobb line, close to where Mars Hill rd intersects Dallas Highway. I will fill the tank up to the brim to make sure that I have enough fuel for the trip (hopefully) I don't want to get stuck out there and become Bear fodder, or puma fodder for that matter. How many of you have seen pumas up there? There have been numerous sightings of pumas up near bear mountain by the local Mountain bikers.
So are you guys gonna gear up with full thor gear, boots, chest protector, etc??
I'm going to be going with a coat, jeans, worker boots, and the helmet with goggles, and gloves. I don't think I need to be going full mx gear on the ride right lol. oh well either way, thats the only gear I got, so thats the gear I have to ride in .
Incabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:46 PM   #55
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oh and the reply to see amicalola falls, If none of you guys mind seeing it, I would love to go up there, I always enjoy the view up there. I have seen it many times though, so this is not necassary at all, but I'm just putting in my response. If its a better ride without the stop there, then the hell with it.
By the way, are we taking any tight single tracks like at blankets creek South loop?? The advanced loop there? If so that will be pretty hairy. So whos bringing the cameras and whatnot? I need a couple of pictures of me swimming in a mud pit with my bike.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #56
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incabiker
Alright then, Im bringing my bike on up to explore the North Jawja Mountains, Yeeee hawww. Whoever lives close to me and definatley knows the way to Flux's house, if it would'nt be too much trouble, would you mind meeting up with me at your place of choice so I can follow you up there. I live in Paulding county right on the Paulding, Cobb line, close to where Mars Hill rd intersects Dallas Highway. I will fill the tank up to the brim to make sure that I have enough fuel for the trip (hopefully) I don't want to get stuck out there and become Bear fodder, or puma fodder for that matter. How many of you have seen pumas up there? There have been numerous sightings of pumas up near bear mountain by the local Mountain bikers.
So are you guys gonna gear up with full thor gear, boots, chest protector, etc??
I'm going to be going with a coat, jeans, worker boots, and the helmet with goggles, and gloves. I don't think I need to be going full mx gear on the ride right lol. oh well either way, thats the only gear I got, so thats the gear I have to ride in .
No pumas...seen bears a bunch of times. Pretty cool to see in person.

I ride in some Thor dual sport pants, mx boots, gloves, and an old water resistant Columbia jacket when I ride like this. I also wear a polyester layer under my clothes to help keep me warm, although it shouldn't be an issue Sunday. And a mx helmet and goggles.

I highly recommend mx boots to add to your arsenal. I have run over my own foot countless times, and I am sure I would have broken my ankle by now if I wasn't wearing them. At the very least, you ought to have waterproof boots...there are some stream crossings.

Water resistant pants are nice too, for the stream xings. You'll be ok if you take it slow, sit on the seat, and raise your legs up like a girl! I'd buy some in the future though.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #57
bman
Gnarly Adventurer

"I'm going to be going with a coat, jeans, worker boots, and the helmet with goggles, and gloves. I don't think I need to be going full mx gear on the ride right lol. oh well either way, thats the only gear I got, so thats the gear I have to ride in ."

Thats what we do. Run what you brung. I plan on taking it easy at the rear.
Go easy on me with the roosting.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #58
megad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I'll prolly go, what time do you plan on riding till?

I'm on a stock xr400 tank, so range isnt wonderful

anyone know where I can get a headlight protector in a pinch? I got my 200w stator and new headlight tonight, I dont want this one to break too
megad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:57 PM   #59
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman

Thats what we do. Run what you brung. I plan on taking it easy at the rear.
Go easy on me with the roosting.
Lol, well, I think I'm going to be hanging out back there with you, so you will not be getting roosted all by yourself, I have to share in some of that fun too., like I have a choice anyways. I am really looking forward to this, ya, Im surprised that I was able to find such a good riding group so quick, just 2 weeks after I bought my bike. How often do events happen like this? If it comes up often then you can probably count me in everytime if its on the weekends and I'm not slammed at work, ya .
Old 03-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #60
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megad
I'll prolly go, what time do you plan on riding till?

I'm on a stock xr400 tank, so range isnt wonderful

anyone know where I can get a headlight protector in a pinch? I got my 200w stator and new headlight tonight, I dont want this one to break too
Riding til? Good question. Til I get bored I guess! I've got nothing to do and all day to do it in.

Don't know about a quick headlight protector...