ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #76
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Oddometer: 1,171
Skip it.
Been there done that.

PP
Old 03-09-2006, 05:04 AM   #77
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 517
It's been awhile since I've been on a big ride like this.... hopefully I don't get you all lost!

Its pretty difficult to get lost around Suches on the Forest Roads. You either run into Wolf Penn Gap, HWY60, or Hwy 129. I've been up there exploring the roads the last couple of weeks.
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 AM   #78
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
I'll be heading up either hwy 9 or 400 from Alpharetta if anybody wants to meet up on this side of town. I don't know where Flux lives, but I could probably figure it out.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 AM   #79
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
I am moving to Cleveland in a few months, but will be there this weekend for some job interviews. I am taking the WEE up there Friday, but I have to ride back to FL on Sunday. I'd like to ride this...seems like a hell of a ride, and a great way to break in the new tires...also demonstrates the reason I am moving to GA (FL SUCKS ti ride in). I may show up with unlawfulsm, if not, ride safe and I'll be sure to hook up with ya'll later.
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #80
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano
I am moving to Cleveland in a few months, but will be there this weekend for some job interviews. I am taking the WEE up there Friday, but I have to ride back to FL on Sunday. I'd like to ride this...seems like a hell of a ride, and a great way to break in the new tires...also demonstrates the reason I am moving to GA (FL SUCKS ti ride in). I may show up with unlawfulsm, if not, ride safe and I'll be sure to hook up with ya'll later.
Too bad you have to cut early, but soon enough Dino. Sounds like there is going to be quite a few wee's there.
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:13 AM   #81
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Food.

We gonna stop for food 'round lunch time? Or do I need to pack my lunchbox?

PP
Old 03-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #82
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Mmm hmm, good question about lunch! What are some good restaurants up there, if we stop by one?? If not then I will pack my lunch too, but it will have to be small, I have only limited room on my bike, so I got to make the most out of something small. I think I will pick up some MX boots tommorow, I don't like the sound of running over my foot and getting a broken ankle, I would like to avoid that if I can. Also since I am going to be there buying the boots, what other apparell should I get? Are jerseys good for anything, they are vented so to keep cool right, kinda like a Mountain bike jersey? I saw some water proof pants, but my god they were $292 at the moto shop I was looking at. Please let me know of the cheapest, and I mean cheapest, but best gear that I can get for the money. I guess the most important are the boots and pants right?
Incabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #83
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Food: I suggest everyone bring water and a power bar or two (or suitable snack) with them. When we arrive in Suches, we could make a stop at Two Wheels Only - I love those folks up there. Their official opening date is like the end of March, but if the weekends are nice, they usually open up for lunch - plus they have great sweet tea, and there is usually a fun crowd of bikes and riders plus their restrooms are open year round.

Clothing: You know, I've been riding off road for a long time, and except for helmet, goggles and gloves, I have never bought any motocross specific clothing for off road. While I have the complete gear for on-road riding, my off road gear is rather basic: motocross helmet and goggles, mx gloves, work boots, jeans and a long sleeve shirt. If it's cold, I wear some old jacket that I don't care about getting dirty and some heavier gloves. Works for me.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #84
Incabiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Well then Soboy, thats how I was gonna ride it, but what do you do when you run over your own foot , lol. Well if thats how your gonna ride it, then Imma gonna rida like that too. I just picked up the tag for my bike today, at the paulding court house, those cops sitting up by the metal detectors never say hello when you greet them, "Good morning officer" you say, and they just give you a look like "Git tha Hell outta my face boy, don't speak to me".. So I just keep on moving, but they have yet to say a word too me, if I stand there waiting for a reponse, I feel that they will pull out a nightstick and move me along. I always hate going there for my tags.

Incabiker screwed with this post 03-09-2006 at 11:43 AM
Incabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #85
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
In the 34 years I have been riding off road, I have done a lot of stupid things, but I have never run over my feet!
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:04 PM   #86
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

Running over your own feet sounds special.

I'm sure I'll do that...or worse now that I shared that.

PP
Old 03-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #87
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 712
Wow Flux !,
6 pages and it's only Thursday ! I've got to meet you now ! Nimberwell Gap 11:30 -12pm is my current target. There is gas at the Chevron at Hwy 52 and Roy Rd.(which eventually turn into Doublehead Gap Rd.) Although I'm a terrible judge of distance I guess thats 5 to 10 mi ? from Nimberwill but many of the FS Rd's connect to Dblhead Gap. If y'all want I could bring hot dogs or something, but that would cut into riding time and I don't know the rules on starting fires.(but I'm not much for rules anyway,I usually refer to them as suggestions) I'll keep an eye on the thread.
See Ya
Killer Whale KTM
Old 03-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #88
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale KTM
Wow Flux !,
6 pages and it's only Thursday ! I've got to meet you now ! Nimberwell Gap 11:30 -12pm is my current target. There is gas at the Chevron at Hwy 52 and Roy Rd.(which eventually turn into Doublehead Gap Rd.) Although I'm a terrible judge of distance I guess thats 5 to 10 mi ? from Nimberwill but many of the FS Rd's connect to Dblhead Gap. If y'all want I could bring hot dogs or something, but that would cut into riding time and I don't know the rules on starting fires.(but I'm not much for rules anyway,I usually refer to them as suggestions) I'll keep an eye on the thread.
See Ya
Killer Whale KTM
Killer Whale, I think we'll be long gone from there by then. I imagine we might be at the plane wreck site, behind Amicalola by then. Maybe. It is hard to judge time, esp with a group this size. Anything could happen. But Nimblewill is SO close to my house I think we'll be gone from then.

FOOD: I doubt TWO will be open, but I could be wrong. I don't know off the top of my head where we could grab grub, other than the gas station by TWO. Turner's Corner is up there, but that would be a lot more slab than some of us want to ride. I am planning on bringing snacks in my pockets. When I am focused on riding, I can go a long time without stopping for any REAL sustenance.

We potentially could waltz in on Sunday brunch at the Falls Lodge...that may give some of the stragglers like Killer Whale a place to catch up to us, and an easy place to find no less.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #89
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodlePumper
Running over your own feet sounds special.

I'm sure I'll do that...or worse now that I shared that.

PP
It is special. I have size 13 kicks, and sometimes my foot slides off the peg...that is how it's done!

If you're not riding that hard, I doubt it'll happen....but I have ran with GA DUALSPORT WANNABE before!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #90
PoodlePumper
Custom Title User

I'll probably find a way to run over both at the same time. I think by now we all know just how special I am.

Go me.

PP