Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 670
Brake pad removal (another stupid question)

How do you remove the pin to get the front brake pads out? I want to replace the stock squealers with some Galfer green pads. I had no problem getting the rear done (Galfer black), but after pulling the clip from the guide pin on the front calipers I can't seem to get that pin to go anywhere.

It seems to me that if they made the rear so you didn't have to pull the caliper to do the pads, they would design the front the same way ...I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious. Of course, it's the one thing that isn't in any of the manuals.

Anyone? I'm all ears!

Thanks

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
RAGrote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto
How do you remove the pin to get the front brake pads out?
If I remember correctly you don't remove the pin. The pads just "hang" in the caliper.
RAGrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Well, the pin goes through the pads, so the pin must get removed to remove the pads (the other end fits into the guide-slip, same as any other caliper); I just can't figure out how to remove the bloody pin!

...apparently nobody else has either!

Old 03-07-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,223
When I change brake pads on an unfamiliar caliper, I unbolt it from the front end (not the brake line) so I can turn it over and and get a better look at it.
Have you unbolted one of the calipers from the front end yet? So you can look at them properly?(as Blue suggests) They bolt right back on ... really.

ktmMike screwed with this post 03-07-2006 at 11:14 AM
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:44 AM   #5
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Simple really.......you gotta 'drive' em out with a nail punch.Unfortunately you have to drive them from the wheel side(awkward)AFTER you have removed the clips.Quite simple really but ya gotta look properly at them.

*Edit*

After going outside to check i have to backtrack and say you drive them TOWARDS the wheel......re installing is a b'stard trying to get you punch through the spokes and hit it with an hammer.

BLUE(UK) screwed with this post 03-08-2006 at 07:03 AM
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
RAGrote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Simple really.......you gotta 'drive' em out
Just I was going to come back and answer correctly... yes.
This is true.

sorry for my inaccurate description. I've had my pads out 3 times for different reasons. I couldn't remember between bikes how they came out.
Thanks Blue.
RAGrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:22 AM   #7
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Simple really.......you gotta 'drive' em out with a nail punch.Unfortunately you have to drive them from the wheel side(awkward)AFTER you have removed the clips.Quite simple really but ya gotta look properly at them.
That's what it looked like, but I couldn't tell for sure that they would come out that way (the "head" of the pin looks like it's part of the caliper body in my crappy parking-garage light) and I didn't want to apply any serious force without being sure.

I didn't have the right tools to pull the caliper (larger sockets) last night, so I didn't. I live in an apartment and all my real tools live in a friend's garage near LAX, which can be quite a long drive on a rainy SoCal day (native Californians FREAK OUT when it rains, and drive into eachother with startling consistancy).

If I can't get the pin out tonight, I'll go get my real tools and pull the calipers. It just seemed that it was, most likely, not necessary.

...I still don't understand why they exclude the brakes from the service & owner's manuals.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
ktmMike
roadscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto
...I still don't understand why they exclude the brakes from the service & owner's manuals.
Me either! KTM is so sloppy that way!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #9
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktm942
Me either! KTM is so sloppy that way!
On the other hand, they give you a picture and a part number for every frickin' bolt, washer, and otherwise on the bike.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGrote
Just I was going to come back and answer correctly... yes.
This is true.

sorry for my inaccurate description. I've had my pads out 3 times for different reasons. I couldn't remember between bikes how they came out.
Thanks Blue.
I have even made the mistake of trying to drive the pins out from the wrong end......this would normally be forgiven BUT at that stage i'd had them out before but just couldn't see(nor think about)what i was doing!!

Please dont thank me for any info guys.....sometimes i get loadsa info off here so it's a fair trade!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Ok, I must be an idiot, because I can't get the pin out.

I looked at it the way you mentioned Blue, and there is no way the pin is getting pushed from the wheel-side out, the hole in the caliper body is smaller than the head of the pin (I tried anyway of course). I tried knocking the pin out from the outside in, towards the wheel, and it simply won't budge.

Here are some pics, maybe someone can explain it to me using small words and short sentances!

This is the right caliper, looking through the wheel, at the retaining pin (yes, I removed the clip before trying to remove the retaining pin).

It's fairly obvious in this shot that the pin must come out toward the wheel as the hole on the outside of the caliper body has a smaller ID than the pin itself:

After removing the clip, I tried using a punch through the caliper to push the pin out, and it won't budge. I can spin it in the caliper with my fingers, so it's not tight ...it just won't come out!

Anyone? ...should I use a bigger hammer?

Old 03-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
The pin slides toward the center line of the bike as you suspected- a small punch and a sharp rap should remove it. There is a spring clip around the pin that locates the pin inside of the caliper- if yours is stuck a little shot of lps1 or similar may help to dislodge it.
Good luck- it really should be about a 15 minute job to change the pads.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Thanks Tim. I can't believe I've had such a hard time with these bloody brakes; I've probably dismantled 3 dozen calipers and never had a problem getting them apart before! lol I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong, but couldn't see any other way than knocking the pins inward, toward the wheel.

Thanks again,
D

Old 03-08-2006, 04:01 AM   #14
Nillbymouth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Thanks everyone for all the info in this thread. ZenMoto, you are not alone. I too wanted to remove my front pads to give the brakes a good clean (I just LOVE winters in the UK) but couldn't remove the pin. Didn't want to hit the centre punch too hard! Bike was getting close to needing a service anyway so in the end I got the dealer to do it. Useful info for next time though.
Nillbymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 AM   #15
ktmMike
roadscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrider
On the other hand, they give you a picture and a part number for every frickin' bolt, washer, and otherwise on the bike.
If that were enough, then why do they print a shop manual for MOST of the bike, but not all of it? I have shop manuals for Hondas, Yamahas, Suzukis, Kawasakis, Moto Guzzis, BMWs, Triumphs: They all include the brakes. AND all the info for each bike is ONE BOOK! I've had 4 KTMs, each came with a handful of incomplete manuals, plus the LC4 and LC8 shop manuals I aquired in addition: I've got piles of KTM manuals on a shelf I have to sort through every time I want to look at something, AND THE SHOP MANUALS DONT EVEN INCLUDE THE WHOLE BIKE. I'm sorry, that's sloppy!