ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #1
2jet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
removing the carbs

O.K., let me preface this with stating that I am stupid when it comes to carbs. I am trying to learn the black art so I can be more proficient at working on my 950 and 450, so be patient with me.

Yesterday, I was doing my cannister removal (thanks flanny) and decided to pull the carbs off and remove the airbox lower to get a little more room and to see how everything went together. I couldn't readily figure out how to disconnect the throttle cables from the carbs. I didn't want to start f'n with the things and figure out I really screwed something up later. I tried looking at the parts diagrams, but that didn't help me much, so I just ended up propping the carbs up on a long piece of steel that I layed in between the frame trelis and slid the airbox lower out from underneath. Is there a relatively easy way to totally disconnect the carbs from the bike. I'm sure if I had a service manual things would be better, but I don't for now. Any help?

On a side note, I had one of those "I learned what not to do when working on my bike" moments when I dropped a small piece of one of the intake boot clamps down one of the intake ports!! %(*^&$%(, ...."sounds of tool hitting the wall"..... expletive deleted..... $%^&*! Thankfully the valve was closed and I fished it out with a magnetized screwdriver. Note to self, next time cover the damn things before you do anything else you stupid git.

regards

07 KTM 250SXF
2jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,224
Apparently youve already figured out that you dont have to disconnect the cables to get the bottom half of the box out. You removed the top half and the snorkel, right. Now lift up carbs and tie em up to handlebar with wire while you work on whatever. Now you can remove lids, floatbowls, adjust idle screw, why undo cables???
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktm942
Apparently youve already figured out that you dont have to disconnect the cables to get the bottom half of the box out. You removed the top half and the snorkel, right. Now lift up carbs and tie em up to handlebar with wire while you work on whatever. Now you can remove lids, floatbowls, adjust idle screw, why undo cables???
I hang mine from a tiedown attached to the ceiling. Easy to move them out of the way as I clamber around the bike.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:18 PM   #4
RAGrote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
As crazy as it sounds...

Yep, just hang them out of the way - no need to disconnect unless you have a reason to...
RAGrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
2jet OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
thanks guys

O.K.

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I figured it out and I didn't even know it. It's very helpful to hear different tips and tricks. Appreciate the feed back.

regards

07 KTM 250SXF
2jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jet
I'm sure if I had a service manual things would be better, but I don't for now. Any help?

regards
Send me an email, I'll send you the repair manuals and fork/shock rebuild manuals as well.

Peter
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
StevenD
Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer: 1,111
i did loos them, like to work on the bench when it comes to carb's. No parts dropping and gone and all.

Just loose the choke bij the bolt (plastic) an pull out, just unbolt the gas cables and take them out of the holder, not so hard to do, just takes 10 minute's extra.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #8
S Won
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Don't forget to shove a couple of clean rags down the intakes to keep debris from falling down into the engine.

S Won
S Won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
ephemeris
UYPL

Oddometer: 663
I disconnect the fuel lines and feed the idle adjuster knob up to the bottom of the air box. That provides enough room to access floats and jets.

As said, place rag or larger towel on the floor of the air box over the intakes at your first opportunity.

Also be careful not to disturb the syncronizing adjusters.
ephemeris is offline   Reply With Quote