Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
kitjv OP
"Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer: 261
Question ? Best Motorcycle Guidebook to the Baja ?

Although my wife & I have traveled to Mexico several times, this will be our first trip by bike to Baja. For those of you who are Baja veterans, what would you consider to be the single best guidebook for motorcyclists?

I certainly understand that any single publication is subjective, reflects the author's point of view & will not cover everything. I'm simply looking for a place to start.

Thank you.

Kit
'93 Ducati 900 Superlight
'89 Honda Hawk 650 GT
'73 CZ 250 MX
kitjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Before the Mods kick you off here!

Since there is NO trip planning or travel info forum on ADVrider I understand why you would ask this question in the ride reports forum.
But some Mod will probably move your post to some place where you'll never get an answer like Regional or Upcoming or maybe one of the five GPS forums

NOW....to answer your question.....

The very best place to learn current info on Baja is right here on Ride Reports.
Search archives, there are a ton of threads full of usefull stuff.

Also check out UPcoming for Mexico and Baja threads. During organization
stage guys come up with a plan of sorts, but lots of useless stuff in between.

The best general Motorcycle guide book I've seen is STILL Clement Salavadori's Baja book, available on Whitehorse Press....I think. I used it back
in 2004 and it was still good. Still, nothing like current info from guys you can
actually ask questions.

Good luck,
Thousands go every year. Ain't no big deal. Ride safe. Smile!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:24 PM   #3
EphTwoEight
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
The Baja Adventure Guide sure sucks!

I need to order Lizardladys stuff.

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."
-- Cicero - 55 BC
EphTwoEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,265
I like Fielding's Baja guide the best. As mentioned above, Clement Salvadori's book is also good. I have a bunch of pics and stories about traveling through Mexico on motos on my website.

'10 California Scooter (my Baja Blaster!)
gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Adios Pantalones
AdventureDeficitDisorder

Oddometer: 2,332
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0961684305/sr=1-15/qid=1155953134/ref=sr_1_15/104-1285047-9591906?ie=UTF8&s=books

I use these folks for my Baja stuff
www.discoverbaja.com

Good folks... I'm a satisfied member.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:11 PM   #6
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Since there is NO trip planning or travel info forum on ADVrider I understand why you would ask this question in the ride reports forum.
But some Mod will probably move your post to some place where you'll never get an answer like Regional or Upcoming or maybe one of the five GPS forums
I am NOT moving this thread to "some place where you'll never get an answer...!"

In fact, DirtDog and I, being sorta new mods to this forum, are thinking about placing a sticky thread with Ride Report rules. We'll soon be creating that sticky.

I've felt that the proper place for trip planning so one can get the info one needs is really important. Not sure where this will end up, though.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
Ratty2austin
commutercycle

Oddometer: 1,829
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
I am NOT moving this thread to "some place where you'll never get an answer...!"

In fact, DirtDog and I, being sorta new mods to this forum, are thinking about placing a sticky thread with Ride Report rules. We'll soon be creating that sticky.

I've felt that the proper place for trip planning so one can get the info one needs is really important. Not sure where this will end up, though.
what about a new sub forum, one that is exactly for this sort of thread? like... "travel planning and advise"

just a thought...
Ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
Django Loco
Banned

Thanks for responding to this.
I've bitched and moaned about the lack of a real Trip Planning/Travel Advice/
Help forum for a while.

No one seems to care. After all, most of the long time ADVrider guys seldom
stray far from Jo Momma these days. Pathetic.

Or maybe they check into GSpot from time to time, dunno, never read it. But I DO notice the HUGE numbers of time wasters on Jo Momma and the staggering number of threads about.....N O T H I N G motorcycle related !!

Anyway...theoretically...UPCOMING could work for this purpose....but it doesn't and never will because its primarly an event forum, not a general
travel forum.

So what happens is guys start writing about going to Copper Canyon 6 months before the event and write 2000 messages about where they are going to meet at the border or have breakfast on the first day of the ride.. or some shit. Stupid Stupid Stupid.

There should be a place to post info about various parts of the world. A place to talk about routes and alternate routes, border crossings, good places to stay, shops and support, Gotchas, and so on.

If a guy is coming from the UK, flying into Canada with his bike. He wants info
on touring the US. Where does he go? Great North? What about a week later
when he's in Montana? Then Utah, then Arizona? And then Mexico or Guate? So the regional forums won't really work for this either. He's not going to an
event...he IS the event. He's not doing ride reports because he's riding, not
spending his days in I-Cafes. Make sense so far?

It shouldn't be about pics or ride reports per se, it should be more oriented towards the "nuts & bolts" of travel. NO bike brand discussion, NO Jo Momma horseshit, and NO "Which Bike" crap.

In other words...a forum for real riders who actually go somewhere instead of
sitting in front of a keyboard all day.

For a good example of a Sticky that would go on this "new" forum, see Jeff Munn's Central America thread on "outer limits" forum. It's great. More valuable info there than just about anywhere on ADVrider, IMO.
TIP: hey Baldy...Mexico and Cent. America are NOT the outer limits. Borneo is outer limits.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #9
Ratty2austin
commutercycle

Oddometer: 1,829
yeah, back in June of this year, I had posted my trip itenerary in regional forums, under rockies, and I was asking about what I should bring or expect to run into on that trip.. (it was from MN to AZ to WA... and all between...)

I got NO replys.. NOT ONE.... even after 2 bumps....

so I just took the trip and adjusted things as I went... it was nothing too harsh, cause we werent going off the roads or anything.. but I would like to see help for people who ask it, advise or tips..

especially sense I would like to travel to AK or Baja one of these upcoming years aka soon
Ratty2austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #10
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

In other forums I sometimes visit, particularly the German ones, the Trip Planning sections are pretty lively, with motorcycle rental, lodging, roads, and tour info.

Tell you what I'll do: I'll link this thread to the other mods. Let's see where this goes.

At your service, btw (besides moving threads and banning pr0n posters)
Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
Django Loco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
In other forums I sometimes visit, particularly the German ones, the Trip Planning sections are pretty lively, with motorcycle rental, lodging, roads, and tour info.

Tell you what I'll do: I'll link this thread to the other mods. Let's see where this goes.

At your service, btw (besides moving threads and banning pr0n posters)
Zer Gut!

thanks! great! Lets see what happens
Old 08-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Quote:
Zer Gut!

thanks! great! Lets see what happens
Don't get your hopes up. Yet...

It took a lot of discussion, wrangling, negotiations, and bribery to get the Scooter and the GPS forum.

Patience while the political process grinds away.

Thanks for the suggestion, tho!
Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 PM   #13
gargamel
Banned

Oddometer: 43
Thumb

Just another vote for a trip-planning forum.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:49 PM   #14
GypsyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
There is a such a forum... on Horizons Unlimited

Quote:
Thanks for responding to this.
I've bitched and moaned about the lack of a real Trip Planning/Travel Advice/Help forum for a while.

There should be a place to post info about various parts of the world. A place to talk about routes and alternate routes, border crossings, good places to stay, shops and support, Gotchas, and so on.

If a guy is coming from the UK, flying into Canada with his bike. He wants info on touring the US. Where does he go? Great North? What about a week later when he's in Montana? Then Utah, then Arizona? And then Mexico or Guate? So the regional forums won't really work for this either. He's not going to an event...he IS the event. He's not doing ride reports because he's riding, not spending his days in I-Cafes. Make sense so far?

It shouldn't be about pics or ride reports per se, it should be more oriented towards the "nuts & bolts" of travel. NO bike brand discussion, NO Jo Momma horseshit, and NO "Which Bike" crap.

In other words...a forum for real riders who actually go somewhere instead of sitting in front of a keyboard all day.
Hi Django Loco,

It surprises me that no-one has mentioned yet that there already exists such a forum (several, in fact) with extensive information one this subject. It's on HorizonsUnlimited.com. No other website comes even close to Horizons Unlimited when it comes to providing international bike-related travel information (or the "nuts & bolts" of travel as you call it) any global bike traveller needs to have access to before and during their trip. I can't imagine that anyone who is serious about preparing their cross-border bike trip would limit their information gathering to just one website (ADVR). Keeping this in mind, I don't see the need for duplication if the most extensive source of global bike-travel related information already exists, with information built up since its beginning in 1999. ADVR and H.U. can easily co-exist side by side, without having to replicate each other's information.
cheers,
marc
GypsyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #15
GypsyRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
By the way...

By the way... there is already a fair amount of 'mixing' or 'overlap' between ADVR and HU, as many regular ADVR contributors like Gaspipe, Lasvegasrider, K7, WorldRider, the Ibarra brothers are aficionados of the annual Horizons Unlimited meeting in Creel/Copper Canyon. There are threads on ADVR regarding the HU Creel meeting and Huachinera ride. Gerardo Ibarra is the co-organizer of the H.U. Mexcio meeting, and Leewildwater, another ADVR member, is the co-organizer of the annual H.U. meeting in N.C. It's at the Mexico HU meetings in 2003 and 2005 that I became friends with them, resulting in me being invited to join the 'Road Less Travelled - Part Deux' and the 'Baja(j) Asylum Run 2006' by Ibarra, Gaspipe, Lasvegasrider, Leewildwater et al.
marc
GypsyRider is offline   Reply With Quote