User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #1
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Oddometer: 397
HT Burma Road ride in Idaho...

Thought I would start this now. We leave Friday Morning from Happy Trails in Boise for 3 days and 800 miles. Tim says it has 200 miles of asphalt... Anyone else here that is going? There is a fire tower directly east of Pilot Point that I want to go over and see. It is only 4.5 miles off of hwy 21.
Feel free to chime in!! For a teaser, here is the thread I posted from proofing day 1:
http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39758

Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are allot of inquisitive idiots...
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.
(May the road rise with you.)

andyt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Cool2 Day 1: The good day...

OK, the ride is over. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad. For me it's a bitter-sweet ending to what should have been a great weekend, and was in it's own way. As I am writing this, I am working on getting maps put together as well. I am terrible with names. Here is the link to all pictures from the ride:
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h22/andyt59

Here is the day 1 map:

We all gathered at HT in Boise Friday morning. Final head count was 26.

(The red line is actual the blue is plotted route)

Coffee and muffins and the standard pre-ride meeting put on by the "inarticulate" Tim Bernard. It was a pretty easy ride. Up over Bogus Basing road, down The boise Ridge road...

To Harris Creek Summit...

Heath coming out of a cloud of dust...

The "Short Range Gang" Stopped in Placerville for Go-Go Juice... We came along for moral support...

John checking his gear...

Now I didn't take alot of pictures because I was in on Proofing this part of the ride a few weeks ago (See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149191)

Ok, because of my stupid GPS , I lost almost all of my tracks. The only ones I have are down from Chalis, ID the most direct route home... This seems to be how my whole weekend went but I will get into that later...

At Pilot Point, we caught up to some of the group that was ahead of us...

Me and "Barbie" enjoying the view...

This is all the pictures I have uploaded to Photobucket as of now. I will complete more of day one when they are done...

Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are allot of inquisitive idiots...

andyt59 screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 07:34 PM
Old 07-30-2006, 04:12 PM   #3
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Day 1 (cont.)

At Pilot point, I suggested that there was another fire tower on the next ridge that wasn't too far off route. What a great road! Steep but good. Dan was the only on to take me up on the offer. Lets talk about steep! In a couple of places you could feel the front of your bike "float." Could it have been the weight on the back?! Duh! I was too buisy holdin on to take pictures but here are a couple from the top...

Sunset L.O. Is manned, womanned and "Dogged." This was Joe...

Pilot Peak. We were just here...

Dan and I at Sunset L.O.

When we returned down the Mtn., We saw Heath. Apparently we had the first victm of the trip. Sam found a NAIL!! I didn't get any pictures of it but I guess it was quite interesting. His patch didn't hold and he flatted AGAIN!!

This was the cutoff to Atlanta. Well after we left Hwy 21...

Was this toilet "spaciouse" enough for you heath? Ok, Here we go...

Some of the guys catching up to us while Dan is reworking his load. One of his straps broke on his right saddle bag. Nothing a ROK strap couldn't fix...

Sam on Gumby...

Dan and I went off the original info that the main road into Atlanta was still closed so we went over the top to Rocky Bar...

Another steep road...

Barbie posing in Rocky Bar for another gratuitouse bike shot...

Here comes Dan...

Hey?! Where can a guy get a beer in this joint!

Up over the top of James Crk. Rd...

Into Atlanta...

We thought we were the first ones in. Guess we were wrong. We were the first to eat DINNER!! Every one else was already setting up their camp and were on their way back. Wondering where we were.

First nights camp in Atlanta...

The end of day 1...

andyt59 screwed with this post 07-30-2006 at 07:36 PM
Old 07-30-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Day 2 Can anyone say FLAT TIRE?

Today starts out like any other day. I'm up at 0630, cleaned up, loaded and ready to go in 15 min. Dan and I have been chumming around since noon, looking out for each other...

ever tried to type with one hand and eat icecream with the other?...

At 0830 I'm chompin' at the bit and rearin' to go. We finalize the days route and we are first out of camp... I think...

We have this unwritten rule in our riding groups. You stop at the next major intersection, wait for the next person in the group to catch up, they in turn wave you on, barring no issues, and they replace you waiting for the next and so on... Dan and I seem to be our own little group.

I wait for him at the cut off up James Creek. He arrives and waves me on. Up over the top of James Creek and I stop in Rocky Bar. 5 min, no Dan, 7 min, here comes someone, not Dan, I am informed that Dan has become "air pressure defficient" 7 miles back up the road near the summit... Hmmm, OK, I'll hang tight no problem. We BS for a while, still no Dan, but wait! I hear the unmistakable sound of a KLR! Could it be? NOPE! Someone else come to inform me Dan is in need of assistance. Hmm, OK, other riders coming, he'll be fine. Now about 30 min has gone by. No Dan. I am informed that I ought to go back up and help him out. I truck back up to the summit where I see Dan, sitting on the side of the road...

Fix-a-Flat didn't do it. We tear his bike down, install, 1 new FRONT tube. Get him re-inflated using my handy dandy little electric air pump, put him back together. We behind about 45 min at this point. I look at my trip metre and decide "We need Go-Go Juice" and head for Pine.

Gas in Pine and 2 miles from Featherville...

Yup, #2!! This time it looks like someting poked it. Feel the inside of the tire. Nothing, another new FRONT tube later we are 2.5 hours behind every one. The decision is made to lead foot it to Ketchum and hit hwy 73 to Challis and dinner.

Over Baumgartner

...To Carrie Town (ghost town). At Carrie Town I learned a valuable lesson. PAY ATTENTION WHEN THE WAY POINT SAYS RT-TRN (Right turn here). It sure looked like the main road went straight ahead. Nope. and I didn't get a single picture!! Around the bend, the road turned into the nastiest roughest washed out piece of canine fecese I ever tried to ride!! On the left you have a dry creek bed that has taken over the road to the tune of 3+ feet! Deep ruts and to top it all off... A downed tree!! OK, easiest obstacle by far...

The tree. We picked it up and moved it, went to a flat spot turned around and went back to make that right at Albaquerque. That took us up a beautiful switch back road that climbed

and climbed

and climbed

and climbed

and climbed... (you get the picture) until it deposited us upon the summit of Dollarhide Mtn.

Then it decended. Very rapidly I might add...

Down

Down
Damn, ran out of pictures, be back in a sec...

Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Pissed The end of the ride...

Where was I... Oh yeah...

...and down

and down

Until, just about 6 miles out of Ketchum...

Read between the lines to tell you how we are BOTH feeling right now. No more spare tubes... Dan rides it FLAT the remaining 6 miles into Ketchum. No tube and no motorcycle shop in town. The last remaining one left and moved several miles South of Haily. No good to us. One word of advice to that shop if you are reading this, sometime in the future, someone will call you in a situation like this. It would be very helpful if you would do like alot of shops and be avail. to go bail 'em out!! I know of Several shops in Boise that are willing to drive to McCall and pick you up or bring you a tube and tire.

Needless to say, our day is shot down the crapper. A few phone calls later, the decision is made that I will drive the "...Challis is ONLY 75 miles..." 75 miles my ass!! Try 120 miles!! and get the truck. That so did not happen. I rode the 120 miles to Challis at 80+ the whole way.

Note the numbers on the Odometer and trip... Coincidence?

This fire threw sundays ride out the window and down a different path...

Still took me 2 1/2 hours. Along the way, I blew my counter shaft seal some where between Galeena Summit and Stanly.

This was Saturday nights camp...

Tim has a tendancy to go all out for dinners...

Sunday morning...

We don't talk about Sunday's ride home. Needless to say it sucked!! $14.00 won't hardly get you enough gas to fill your tank and I'm almost 300 miles from Boise!!! ON ASPHALT! So, pretty livid, I say my good by's to every one and head for Boise throttle pinned. 80+ the whole way. I stopped in Stanly for $10 gas using a bill someone spotted me in Challis... The only stop. I was home by noon...

Haven't heard from anyone else...

Dan, he loaded his bike up in the trailer and road home in an air conditioned truck w/ stereo...

I understand every one else went through Bear Valley and Dagger falls...

When does Adventure cease to be "Adventure" and become a pain in the butt and no longer fun?

Old 07-31-2006, 04:17 AM   #6
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
I guess when you dont bring enough tubes. Boy, that sucks. Do you have any photos on Burma Road ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:20 AM   #7
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
???

None of the other 24 riders had a spare tube they could loan or sell you?

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 AM   #8
Heath
Coke-The choice of Angels

Oddometer: 716
Hey Andy, glad you had a good time.

I'll do mine when I get a chance and get some other peoples' pictures and get back from our NP tour next week. Something like 396 of the 400 pics I took were blurry.

JimC: we had tubes galore - I was carrying two rears, a front, and a patch kit. I think the group of guys I was riding with (7 or 8 of us) had about 15 tubes combined. Unfortunately, they were so far behind at that point that we had no idea they were having problems. Don't know why nobody else stopped.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
hez
no longer rational

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Do you have any photos on Burma Road?
I doubt you'll see many pictures from Burma Rd. It's exceptionally beautiful, yes, but the most scenic parts are STEEP and curvy. A "two hands" experience to be sure (at least it was for me).

Thanks for the report, Andy. Very entertaining.

hez screwed with this post 07-31-2006 at 07:50 AM
hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt59
I'm almost 300 miles from Boise!!!
Man, which way did you go? it's only like 190 miles from Challis to Boise down 75/21
Old 07-31-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
None of the other 24 riders had a spare tube they could loan or sell you?

Jim in Sacramento
Quote:
JimC: we had tubes galore - I was carrying two rears, a front, and a patch kit. I think the group of guys I was riding with (7 or 8 of us) had about 15 tubes combined. Unfortunately, they were so far behind at that point that we had no idea they were having problems. Don't know why nobody else stopped.
I think every one had a spair tube or 2 or 3 or... but Dan said he had it in control. and waived every one on. I don't think anyone knew he didn't have a rear. Unfortunatly, lesson learned, I now carry a rear tube as well.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
andyt59 OP
"Thread killer"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath
Man, which way did you go? it's only like 190 miles from Challis to Boise down 75/21
I left Challis at 8:15 (pretty ticked I might add) Down 73 to hwy 21 and in and was home (in Kuna, and additional 20 miles) at Noon on the dot. At 80+ MPH average speed, one 20 min stop for fuel and a 5 min stop to pee, doing the calculations (whats pie again?)... That works out to 260 miles. Give or take for the occasional slow vehicle, speed zone and, funny thing , there are supposedly 3 towns along the way and I only saw 1 ?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
hez
no longer rational

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt59
(whats pie again?)...
I can't help myself.

hez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 03:56 PM   #14
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,110
Well Andy, sorry it turned out that way for you, but overall it was a good trip. I didn't get many pictures on this trip as I felt it was a road race at times, but what visual memories I have.

Day one started out great up to Pilots Peak, enjoyed the view jumped on Gumby and took off down the mountain not 50 feet I was thinking man the grounds loose sure is squirrelly 100 feet down...nope that's my tire...Hummm...must find flat spot with shade. another 100 feet I sidewinder my way down and stopped. Dude on GS stopped and helped me get Gumby on centerstand and took off. As I wrestled to get the tire off another rider pulled up and said something like "Flat huh, bummer" and zipped off, the rest later but now a few pictures of up on the Burma road.

Well the fire season was upon us and Heath wanting to contribute as a concerned person was doing his share to wet-en any dry potential fire hazards and often I might say.

Here's the group I rode with...I mean caught up with getting some good cold water from the well at Star Hope I think?

A couple from up on top of the Burma road, notice all the smoke and haze from the fires.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #15
Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam
Well the fire season was upon us and Heath wanting to contribute as a concerned person was doing his share to wet-en any dry potential fire hazards and often I might say.
Sam, I'm disappointed. You only got one pic of me signing the guest book? I emptied that 3 litre hydration pack two or three times a day... you could have literally taken hundreds over the course of the ride

The pics look good. How do you like the new camera?