ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Lencho OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Smokies During Spring Break

My wife and kids are going to see daddy-in-law for Spring Break, so I am going to take advantage of my short term bachelorhood and go ride the Smokies for 2 days the last week of March. Your road recommendation would be appreciated, especially any dirt road suggestions. I only have the old fashion GPS Delorme topographical maps, so good directions will be greatly appreciated. Of course, if anyone is interested in going, let me know.
Lencho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
SWSportsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Do a search on here using N.C., Maggie Valley, Waynesville & Bryson City. Some good threads with directions are here.

Also, take a look at www.tailofthedragon.com. They have descriptions of dual sport rides and maps.

If you value your machine and your life, stay off of I-40 between Newport TN and Asheville.

Have fun!
SWSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Wolffy
Lost Voyageur

Oddometer: 616
Wolffy the frozen adventurer will be at Deals Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
My wife and kids are going to see daddy-in-law for Spring Break, so I am going to take advantage of my short term bachelorhood and go ride the Smokies for 2 days the last week of March. Your road recommendation would be appreciated, especially any dirt road suggestions. I only have the old fashion GPS Delorme topographical maps, so good directions will be greatly appreciated. Of course, if anyone is interested in going, let me know.
I have bidness in Cary NC done on march 24 then going to plant myself at a campground somewhere to thaw ride and maybe have a few adult beverages As I have the next week off (march 27-31) when and where? I likes riding in the mountains.

Thinking of camping at the Deals Gap campground What kind of weather we going to have this time of year??
Wolffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Lencho OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffy
I have bidness in Cary NC done on march 24 then going to plant myself at a campground somewhere to thaw ride and maybe have a few adult beverages As I have the next week off (march 27-31) when and where? I likes riding in the mountains.

Thinking of camping at the Deals Gap campground What kind of weather we going to have this time of year??
The days I have available start on Saturday the 25th. I am planning on taking the first couple of days off the following work week too, so I have from the 25th - 28th to fit this fun into. I'm in the Nashville area so it takes me a few hours to get to the Smokies. Longer if I want to take the back roads (riding the Platue can almost be as fun as the Smokies!). Via Super Slab it takes about 3.5 hours. Not sure where yet, still in the planning. I'm going to do some searches that SWSportsman recommended and get the map out and plan. Always ride the Gap a couple of times, but would like to find some dirt roads this time, if its not too muddy (pig V-Strom and pig rider don't mix well in mud ). The Weather should be good. Today it's 55 degrees and sunny at Deal's Gap, so a couple more weeks and it should be even warmer. Only concern might be a thunder storm, as the season around here for those is from March through May.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Wolffy
Lost Voyageur

mud and pigs=bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
The days I have available start on Saturday the 25th. I am planning on taking the first couple of days off the following work week too, so I have from the 25th - 28th to fit this fun into. I'm in the Nashville area so it takes me a few hours to get to the Smokies. Longer if I want to take the back roads (riding the Platue can almost be as fun as the Smokies!). Via Super Slab it takes about 3.5 hours. Not sure where yet, still in the planning. I'm going to do some searches that SWSportsman recommended and get the map out and plan. Always ride the Gap a couple of times, but would like to find some dirt roads this time, if its not too muddy (pig V-Strom and pig rider don't mix well in mud ). The Weather should be good. Today it's 55 degrees and sunny at Deal's Gap, so a couple more weeks and it should be even warmer. Only concern might be a thunder storm, as the season around here for those is from March through May.
I here you about the mud a GS and Anakees and mud equals pain and expensive parts... I would like to do some jeep type trails
sounds like will be in the same area same dates. where are you thinking of staying?

Cheers
Wolffy
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,216
Lencho, Wolffy,
Check out Hot Springs NC area. We have lots of great unpaved roads here. I will be free on 3/25 & 3/26. Will be glad to show you the best roads. SWsportsman came up here to ride with me once, in the dead of winter. We ran into some icy conditions in high altitudes (I'm sure he has repaired the damage by now). That shouldn't be a problem in late March, though. Hot Springs campground has a website. Its within easy reach of the Smokey Mountains by ultra twisty roads both paved and/or unpaved, and is surrounded by same. Let me know in a P.M. (Actually, I think you will find that the roads just northeast of the Smokies are much more fun and less crowded than in the Smokies proper). Mike

Hi SWsportsman!

ktmMike screwed with this post 03-08-2006 at 08:29 AM
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #7
Lencho OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktm942
Lencho, Wolffy,
Check out Hot Springs NC area. Hot Springs campground has a website.

Thanks for the info and offer, mrktm! I'll PM you later this month if this looks to be the place to go. It sounds like it is! In pulling up campgrounds in Hot Springs, I get about six coming up with various names like Blue Ridge Base Camp, Creekridge Camp, Hot Springs Resort and Spa ( ). Do you happen to know the name or website of the camp ground you are refering too? Wollfy, maybe this will be the place to meet up.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #8
ktmMike
roadscout

Yes: Phone 828 622 7676
www.hotspringsnc.org/-HScampground
That camp store in the picture is what to look for when you get there. The whole town is only a few blocks long, so you can't miss it.
And its just a few miles from the Tennessee line.

ktmMike screwed with this post 03-08-2006 at 10:49 AM
Old 03-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
SWSportsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Hey Mike,

Yep, I have some new plastic and a newfound respect for icy dirt roads!

I should have mentioned the Hot Springs area. The ride from Maggie to Hot Springs is one of my favorites.
SWSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
Wolffy
Lost Voyageur

OK IM in

The hot water......

Looks like an easy drive from RDU so Im making reservations for friday nite (mar 24) maybe move later on in the week looks like it is getting to be a real adhoc advriders rally Ok 3 so far thats a start
Cheers
Wolffy
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
ktmMike
roadscout

Question

OK then, I'll look for you late FRI MAR 24 or early SAT MAR 25. I'll probably be on something orange.

Should we start another thread in this same forum (regional east) for the UNOFFICIALHOTSPRINGSMARCHMINIRALLY???
Old 03-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #12
ktmMike
roadscout

Or something along those lines?

ktmMike screwed with this post 03-09-2006 at 10:14 AM
Old 03-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Lencho OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrktm942
OK then, I'll look for you late FRI MAR 24 or early SAT MAR 25. I'll probably be on something orange.

Should we start another thread in this same forum (regional east) for the UNOFFICIALHOTSPRINGSMARCHMINIRALLY???
The 3rd UNOFFICIALHOTSPRINGSMARCHMINIRALLY rider can't leave the Nashville area until early Saturday morning.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 AM   #14
Wolffy
Lost Voyageur

Unofficialhotspringsmarchminirally

The canpground is open for the season. They dont take reservations untill later (may) so its a free for all She said they never fill up this early. They do have some cabins which are around $45 per night. so it think
were all set. now I just got to get the maintanence done on my GS
OVAD TB sync and fluids.... 2 hours.

Cheers
Wolffy
Old 03-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #15
ktmMike
roadscout

Lencho,
That's OK. Tell us about what time you can be there, and we can loop back around and get you. The great thing about Hot Springs area, is that there are interesting loops in any direction.