Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Ride it Like you Stole It! (or hunting for Thieves)

Note to the Reader: I started this two stage report on another Site and figured I'd share with you all since many have access to weapons and free airfare passes.... Plus, I bought the bike from a fellow ADVrider.

It's been over a week since my KLX 400 was stolen, I figured if the bike was around the thieves (witness saw two dudes) have had enough time to try to alter the bike and start riding it. Highly unlikely that I'll ever see it again but figured I'd take a ride.

My Mom also told me about a
Dakar she saw in a local Hardware Store parking lot "It had big aluminum boxes like in the back of a pickup with warning stickers on it". That's a first, I only heard of a Red F on the Kona side in the past three years. Another reason for a hunting ride!

Here the KLX is the last time I rode it, up in the forest at the local ATV/Enduro Park.

A shot from the morning before, I had to stay at work since a guy called in sick and we have a two man rule…

Up to the park where I rode it last, raining and an empty parking lot, post a "Reward" Flier and I'm gone.

Down past the Zoo to see if the thieves were in cages, that Rainbow was close but there wasn't a KLX at the End.

Check in with the local constabulary, nothing new, sorry to interrupt your breakfast officer…

The local
HongwanjiTemple.

A poorly composed shot of the former Sugar Plantation Owner's House, it was a B&B for a while, not sure of the current status.

The
Wailuku River, been raining a bit in the Wettest City in America.

Cruise ship in town with another 1,200 potential searchers. In Highschool the Theme was "Tourists Go Home BUT Leave your Daughters!"

Well, I didn't find the Kawazuki nor the
Dakar my mom told me about, if there are any inmates re-located to Hilo, Hawaii drop me a line, we can talk Heated Handgrip Maintenance or something…

P.S. Mr. Sigfried Sauer Stayed Home.
Inmate #1432 The Highest and Westest F650GS Dakar in the
USA, I have NO affiliations with any commercial business (I work for the Gov't and I'm here to help). Any post on this site is of my own and free will.

PHASE II

I've got the rest of this week off so I figured after yard work all day yesterday I'd continue the Hunt for the KLX-400 and the Mystery Dakar today. I dropped my Jeep off at the shop and caught a ride home with my mom, she insisted it was a Dakar, seemed to think it was Black though it had the big warning labels that reflect…. Some sort of PD maybe???

I changed my tactics today, this time I'd go to where I know thieves hang out or do their dirty deeds.

First stop Akaka Falls.

With warnings. Summer of '04 my wife had our truck broken into here and lost her wallet, plus visiting friend's purse and wallet (they're a Federal Parole Officer and Deputy Sheriff from Michigan, some vacation). I fortunately was in Iraq at the time and didn't lose anything.

Heading to the main attraction, a little teaser.

And of course Akaka Falls.

A few twisties, it can be rough watching your line when the weather is great and the views distract the cages coming your way.

A portrait opportunity in Honomu, quant little town that now (legally) thrives on tourists headed to Akaka Falls.

Down the road to Hakalau Bay, they blocked access a few years back and now you have to walk about a 1/4 of a mile to the shore, it's a shady spot to leave your car.

The trestle of the Highway Bridge.

And the train loading ramp for a long gone Sugar Company.

Zip up to another bridge for a shot of the Gulch.

And the obligatory warning sign.

Heading home and a quick zip in to Honolii to check the surf, we had a friend get his six month old Tacoma get taken right out of here about a week ago, didn't even leave his towel so he could dry off. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know what you pervs are trying to zoom in on....

And some Wahine for JD (Ditto).

When thieves take credit cards they come straight here to start charging stuff to sell. The guy that took my wife's goods was here 40 minutes after the break in. Had a sharp clerk that let him run the card (wife's gov't work card!) for a TV, had him sign, and then told him he wasn't a she. The clown was paroled on Friday and ripped into our truck the next Saturday, they caught him at the Bank trying to cash one of my wife's checks the following week, and my wife was in the bank! He got 22 years; a .22 Cal. to the bean would have been a better solution.

And the final place to check for thieves, apparently my Carport.

I love it here but there are times when I'd just rather be some place else, Taman National Lore Lindu on Sulawesi, an Aman Resort Anywhere, or face down in Makati come to mind. I hope I haven't soured the Hawaii Visitor's Bureau's "Visit Hawaii" Campaign any….

This just in: As I was posting this I got a call from somebody that "May" have seen the KLX. I really don't care though, they probably thrashed it by now...

And I didn't see crap on the ride... But I did Ride!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #2
Hammer
Hawlin' aZZ

Oddometer: 2,299
Comin' your way

But a few islands away, to Kauai. We like it there. A visit to spend money and relax now and then keeps the natives (what do you call the locals?) happy. Us too. No plans to ride. I ride lots on this side of the big pond.
I didn't know they let citizenry pack heat, tho. I thought Hawaii was one of those liberal states that just about chased any semblance of reason away. Maybe they're just workin' on it.
Thanks for the look at the riding on the big island!

'06 525 XC "Sledge"
'04 KTM 950 Adventure Thunder
Enough yappin'! Let's ride!
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #3
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
That sucks dude. I used to live on Oahu. Good luck. Watch that Dakar.
Where was the original post? Anything different? Did you have the steering locked on the KLX etc? Fuckers.
I heard that Hawaii leads all states for bike thievery and thought of you when I read it a ways back.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news...3/02/66086.htm
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
I heard that Hawaii leads all states for bike thievery and thought of you when I read it a ways back.
Oh Yeah! We're Number One (well Oahu anyway).

I can't imagine somebody dumb enough to take the Dakar, what the Hell would you do with it???

At least the nicely set up KLX I got from Razor has some worthy parts to strip. Either that or ride it in the back country until the battery dies and then torch it, or put it in a box and ship it to another island....

Hammer-
You can't pack heat around here, though there are times and places I'd like to.

Kauai is a great place, we'll be there at the end of April (House Rippers, please ignore previous eight words).

Robert
Old 03-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #5
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Oh Yeah,

Don't dwell on the thievery, check out the images!!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
I can't imagine somebody dumb enough to take the Dakar, what the Hell would you do with it???

Nice pics.
Hawaii isn’t noted as the breeding ground of rocket scientists.
And as to what they’d do with a Dakar; shit, they’d steal a baby buggy just to bomb down the mountain once.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,651
dang

it's easier to keep a fukin horse than it is anything on 2 wheels - I know your frustration and hope you get over it soon. don't snuff anyone over it, everybody pays in the end -

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
it's easier to keep a fukin horse than it is anything on 2 wheels - I know your frustration and hope you get over it soon. don't snuff anyone over it, everybody pays in the end -
Oh, I'm pretty much Over It. Until Monday at least, that's when I get the Insurance Company Settlement Offer, main thing I got going for me is that Hawaii's market is so screwed up that I'll hopefully get a reasonable offer (please, please, please!!!!).

I just wanted to use an excuse to get some riding with a camera in, I wouldn't snuff anybody, hell, you could get a ticket and house arrest for that!
Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243

Nice pics and report.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Sorry about the bike...

Bought my first motorcycle (Honda 90) in Hawaii in 1968. Many good riding memories riding in circles around the island!

I was a musician for Don Ho at the time, right out of college..... Is he still around? Heard he had heart problems....

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com

Flyingavanti screwed with this post 03-08-2006 at 07:43 AM
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 AM   #11
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Note to the Reader: I started this two stage report on another Site and figured I'd share with you all since many have access to weapons and free airfare passes.... Plus, I bought the bike from a fellow ADVrider.

SNIP -

When thieves take credit cards they come straight here to start charging stuff to sell. The guy that took my wife's goods was here 40 minutes after the break in. Had a sharp clerk that let him run the card (wife's gov't work card!) for a TV, had him sign, and then told him he wasn't a she. The clown was paroled on Friday and ripped into our truck the next Saturday, they caught him at the Bank trying to cash one of my wife's checks the following week, and my wife was in the bank! He got 22 years; a .22 Cal. to the bean would have been a better solution.

And the final place to check for thieves, apparently my Carport.

This just in: As I was posting this I got a call from somebody that "May" have seen the KLX. I really don't care though, they probably thrashed it by now...

And I didn't see crap on the ride... But I did Ride!!!!

WTF?!?! THAT was one 'smart' thief - a member of Mensa I would wager .. Geez what an idiot .

Hey, that is sure a tempting Land Rover ya got there... I think I'd load a hungry pitbull into it, drop the windows down a few inches, and put "I like humans, with or without gravy" bumper stickers on the tailgate and doors.

Then, I'd go the hospital and begin interviewing all the would-be thieves, who come in to the ER, about what their business associates in the cycle division have been up to.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:45 AM   #12
Southest US Thumper OP
Extreme n00b

Avanti-

Don Ho is still doing his gig in Waikiki, he had been under a doctor's care recently but I did just hear that he was back to work. We lived out in Mokuleia back in the late '60's, used to romp around on Bonanza Mini-bikes and Steen Mini-cycles all over the sugarcane fields and Kaena Point.

LVR-

Yep, real men of genius. My neighbor didn't help any by not calling the cops "Your dawgs wasn't barking, so I thought they were friends".

I'm in the market for a replacement, I prefer a plated bike to avoid the trailer routine, ideally another KLX or DRZ since I still got the Motard Wheels (don't tell the thieves). So who know's, I've seen some Craig's List stuff in Vegas and may have to head your way.

If the weather breaks today I'll probably do a little more hunting.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:57 AM   #13
jp4evr
I'm a dad, have a ceegar

Oddometer: 345
Thanks for bringing me back... This was a nice recap of our last summer. Month on the big island and Oahu. I think South Point area of Hawai'i was the best. Nicest people, great fishing.
mahalo
jp4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #14
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Nice pics. Sorry to hear about the KLX, glad you found a replacement.
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:23 AM   #15
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,304
Nice pics, sorry about your KLX................. fucking theives

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote