User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
bereahorn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
SW-Motech Crash Bars Rally Style

Hello--I have a set of the SW-Motech Rally style crash bars purchased from Twisted Throttle to install on my '01 1150GS. I recently visited their site and
they now have the following disclaimer posted that was not there when I bought the crash bars. "The crashbars are NOT compatible with an aftermarket Ohlins front shock (the larger size of the adtermarket Ohlins front shock causes contact with the crashbars when the front suspension is under zero load)." Apparently someone alerted them to this imcompatability after trying to fit the bars. My question to anyone who might know is;will other after market shocks such as Wilbers or Bitubo suffer the same imcompatability
when the SW-Motech crash bars are installed? I am in the market for a set of shocks but this throws a curve into the process.I would be interested in hearing of others' experiences with the SW-Motech crash bars.Thanks in advance.John O'Leary
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
FYI -

As of March 2006, SW-MOTECH has updated their design to provide additional clearance to the front shock. All of our stock is now the new design. We haven't yet tested the new design with an Ohlins.

-Mr. Twisted
Old 03-13-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
Bentley
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Mr. Twisted,

While the discussion has been wrt the 1150, the 1100 would seem to have the same issue with any aftermarket shock that has a spring diameter greater than stock.

On the 1100, the problem is the u-shaped bracket as shown below.

Do you happen to know if a) the u-shaped bracket is the only difference between the old and the new; and if so b) can I get just the new bracket?

Cheers,

Ben
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
bereahorn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
Crash bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle
FYI -

As of March 2006, SW-MOTECH has updated their design to provide additional clearance to the front shock. All of our stock is now the new design. We haven't yet tested the new design with an Ohlins.

-Mr. Twisted
Is there a part from the new design that can be substituted in the old set up to allow it to accomodate after market shocks on the 1150GS or for that matter the 1100GS?
bereahorn is offline   Reply With Quote