User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
ganshert OP
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,013
KLR headlight / fairing project

So I got started on my fairing project today.

the goal is a dakar / ktm 640 type fairing with a better headlight that looks cool and gives me better wind protection w/o the buffeting and hopefully doesn't look like shit, something like this

I got a Buell headlight assembly from the local Harley shop for $71 and this is what I've done so far.

next step is to shape the fairing plug out of polyurethane foam, and make a mold that will be used to make the actual fairing out of fiberglass. sounds easy enough

don't make fun of my welding, this is the first thing I've ever welded and I'm using a flux core Lincoln 110V/140A. This bracket is my prototype / practice piece so I will make another "production" model

stay tuned

ganshert screwed with this post 03-05-2009 at 12:45 PM
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:51 AM   #2
digitaldan01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Looking good so far, I'm doing something simular with my DRZ. Here is the basic idea.

And no it's not gonna be made out of cardboard

J. R. R. Tolkien
digitaldan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #3
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer: 4,537
Very cool projects both. Please keep us updated as you go.

Ganshert, tell me more about that cool looking alloy jack.
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Wow! Lots of similar thinking going on here; I just put in a bid for a Buell headlamp assembly yesterday!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:19 AM   #5
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Laugh Cool Project!!

I am interested in coming up with a fairing for my KLR too. Keep us posted on your progress.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #6
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Sweet, I'll be following this.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #7
ganshert OP
not sleeping

DigitalDan, thats the idea! I took the cardboard template off of mine before the pic.

Dennis, The jack is a motorcycle jack that I got at Sam's Club for $76
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
ganshert OP
not sleeping

Johnny, are you JohnnyMonsoon?

Go check the cost of a brand new unit from your local Harley shop before you bid again. IIRC I paid $71 for mine complete with wiring harness and bulbs.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganshert
Dennis, The jack is a motorcycle jack that I got at Sam's Club for $76
WOW! Thats a great deal. I also love the idea of making your own fairing. Will it have a windshield or just the low fairing? Keep us posted here, I am going to start planning mine *for my XRL* based on your prob...err..results!
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694

100mpg screwed with this post 03-12-2006 at 11:57 AM
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:19 PM   #10
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Have you thougth about making a vacuum form table and using polycarbonate or ABS instead of fiberglass? It would get you closer to OEM quality and be very easy to duplicate after building the first mold and rig.
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:26 PM   #11
ganshert OP
not sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy
Have you thougth about making a vacuum form table and using polycarbonate or ABS instead of fiberglass? It would get you closer to OEM quality and be very easy to duplicate after building the first mold and rig.
Actually I have thought about thermoforming polycarbonate. The problem with that is that my design has to many compound curves. I don't think the polycarbonate can do what I want for the fairing even with a vacuum table. Plus my oven is not big enough and I don't have a vacuum table

I don't have any problems with using fiberglass. Its relatively easy, I have experience with it, and am confident i can make a light strong fairing.

we shall see...
Old 03-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
VHRAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
I really like this idea and also have thought about using fiberglass too.What watts are the dual headlights pulling?Looks great
VHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
Actually I have thought about thermoforming polycarbonate. The problem with that is that my design has to many compound curves. I don't think the polycarbonate can do what I want for the fairing even with a vacuum table. Plus my oven is not big enough and I don't have a vacuum table

I don't have any problems with using fiberglass. Its relatively easy, I have experience with it, and am confident i can make a light strong fairing.

we shall see...
Ah, so you've already considered it. It would require you to smooth out some of the tighter corners especialy with the thicker sheets.

You can make a table for pretty cheap too. Here's one guy's example; http://www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html

Although once made from Fiberglass, it could fairly easily be transfered to ABS if you changed your mind.

I like the Dakar look also...
Jeffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #14
snaggleXR650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Looks great, can't wait to see your results.

I did the Buell headlight mod a while back on my XR650R. Here are a couple pics;

http://members.cox.net/snaggletto/XR650R-SM%20lights

http://members.cox.net/snaggletto/headlight-closeup

The downsides are that the sockets are single filament (55W) H7 bulbs, in other words no HI/LO beam, and the lenses are plastic.

I stuck in a couple Silverstar bulbs and I rewound my stator so that I can drive both bulbs on at all times. The plastic lenses haven't melted (but does get warm) from the constant 110W and the optics of the lenses seem to be pretty good. I've not had any problems with cars flashing me at night, but the lighting is excellent. I've had several comments on the brightness/intensity of my lights.

I used the Buell Lightning fairing, however, the new Buell Ulysses uses the same dual light kit, but it has a much larger fairing. I've been thinking about trying it out for more wind protection.

I'm real excited to see how the dakar fairing comes out with the dually headlights. I LOVE the look of the duallys.
snaggleXR650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 04:24 PM   #15
Johnny KLR
Woefully Adventurous

Oddometer: 1,282
Quote:
Johnny, are you JohnnyMonsoon?

Go check the cost of a brand new unit from your local Harley shop before you bid again. IIRC I paid $71 for mine complete with wiring harness and bulbs.
Yeah, I'm JM (I can't seem to get the mods to reset my JM account here; I registered when I was in the desert during 'shock and awe' and managed to forget my password when I got home. In the mean time, I no longer had my military e-mail account... so, Johnny KLR was born; though my avatar gives my real identity away).

Oh, and yeah, I totally hope I lose this auction... although if I get it for my max bid I'll get it for retail store price (it's new) and delivered to my door.

My local HD dealers don't do Buell...
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Johnny KLR is offline   Reply With Quote