User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #76
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Dale,
My thoughts are with you. As many have said, your attitude is amazing. Tough times ahead, no doubt. Stay strong.
McB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #77
dugmar
Pinball Wizard

Oddometer: 2,918
Best of luck to you, Dale.
dugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:17 AM   #78
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 795
Dale,
By the time you get this it will probably be after your surgery....So I hope your surgery went well and that you will have a speedy recovery.You and your family are in my prayers. You have the gift of a good attitude, this will get you far as you already know. Try and think of your family when things get tough because that focus will get you through anything.Also, don't believe it when people tell you that you can't do this or you can't do that, believe in your self..Keep us all updated with your situation both good and bad because I know that everyone on this site feels a connection to you and you situation. Again good luck...
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #79
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,086
Dale,

Your post stopped me dead in my tracks. I had the same kind of accident last summer, 1500 miles from home. For reasons unknown we were ejected from the bike when we got rear-ended, and sustained no broken bones. I knew we were lucky, but those thoughts tend to fade with time. Your post was a wake up call. When you feel up to it could you please fill us in on the gear you were wearing?

I'm terribly sorry for your misfortune. If there is anything I can do to help, just ask. As for your recovery, make your mind up to accept nothing less than a full recovery, and focus on it every day. Greater miracles have happened on this earth.

Although I am confident you will recover, in the mean time if you want to ride keep in mind that hacks are better than trikes if you need to carry a wheelchair. Besides, they are a blast to ride. There are all kinds of options. If you are interested in learning about any of it just PM me. I don't know a hell of a lot about carrying a wheelchair, but I know a fair amount about hacks.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:24 AM   #80
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,520
damn I hate hearing news like this. Like someone else said, this could have happended to any one of us that enjoy this sport so it really strikes close to the heart to read these posts.

I don't think I could be as strong as you are being Dale. My thoughts, prayers, and anything else I can offer to help you through this tough time goes out to you and your family.. Heal fast my friend..

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:28 AM   #81
MissFenderFine
Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer: 1,260
Praying for you Dale...prayer works!

And for the rest of you...

Lord, thank you for the open air, The Feel of wind blowing through my hair;
Just me alone upon my bike, The thrill of freedom is what I like

To wind through country unexplored, Not knowing what I'll see next, Lord.
That's what I seek when off I ride. I'm thankful that you're by my side.

If I should ride till morning's light, Please keep me safe throughout the night,
And when I come to journey's end, It's you I'll thank - Protector, Friend.

Anonymous

Sometimes I'm here...sometimes I'm not.
MissFenderFine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 AM   #82
Raidrallyrider
I am bored

Oddometer: 360
I am not religious but I prayed for you today. I hope you get better soon.
Raidrallyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #83
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
Thanks one and all. I hadn't cried about this yet, until reading this post. It was a GOOD cry. Thank you.

I'm laying in my hospital bed with my trusty Pocket PC, trying to stay connected to the world. Flipping thro wheel chair catalogs (my next sweet ride!) Trying to find info on trike bikes to get back into the saddle, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I am uplifted by every word.

Surgery is today at 5pm, Norfolk General Hospital. From there its a few weeks of inpatient PT, then home. Then court, then work, then new baby (coming August 5th) so i've got lots a lots of good and lots of scary to still face up to over the next few months.
If ya'll don't mind I'd like to blog my experiences here, despite my low post count, I've been with you folks for years and feel like this is my window into a culture and group of people that have, and can continue, to lift my spirit.

Always,
Dale
www.lashersport.com Very Badass. Spec this.
www.spinlife.com for general shopping
www.ustechguide.org for reviews
www.wheelchairjunkie.com/page2.html for good how-to articles on setup

Hang in there, Dale. We're here pulling for you. Holler if the ramp thing sounds appealing to you. Then again, a bunch of slobbering ADV would-be construction monkeys pounding boards together at your doorstep MIGHT be a bit scary but at least it would be entertaining.

Best to your wife, as well.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #84
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 57,198
You and your family have my thoughts and prayers with you.

The modern liberal is the stupidest human being to have ever lived!
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #85
2aRover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
I could feel the blood drain from my face . Dale, that's an amazing message to convey in such a few lines: tragedy, attitude, outlook, and courage. I admire your quality, and hope you get half as much from your fellows as we are getting from you right this minute.

Blog here. Continue to inspire us. My family is holding yours up to the Father.
Lyndon
2aRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:40 AM   #86
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Dale, youre attitude towards all that has happened is awesome. You are on the right track when you first ask people to pray. It sounds like you understand the power of prayer when it is directed to the Lord in a sincere and surrendering type of way. I know more than one person who has been miraculously healed, and I will of course be praying this way for you. But I will first pray that you would come to know Jesus in a close and personal way if you don't already, and that you would experience first hand the Joy and peace only he can deliver even in a situation like this. So God bless you and keep us informed.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #87
Wings
marmaduked

Oddometer: 14,066
Dale, words fail me-I'm still a bit stunned after just reading about your crash. Such a variety of emotions bouncing around in my head, many of them hard to comprehend.

I've leaned pretty hard on many here that I consider to be my friends, even though I've only met a few of them. I know people here would be honored if you'd consider doing the same. I hope you're comfortable enough with us to let us know of your journey in times of need and hope. This place, although crass at times, pulls together like no other when it counts most.

I know this from experience. Keep the faith, and when it gets rocky remember that you have support here from coast to coast.

Best of luck with the surgery today, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts.

Smugmug coupon code: CKZQ0vLPlmLFw
Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:45 AM   #88
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
Steve, you've hit on something very important here.

Dale may likely need his house modified for a wheel chair.

Ramps and things.

Can ADVriders take up this noble cause?

I can run a saw and hammer, just don't trust me to measure anything

I'd be there in a heartbeat, tools and all.

My thoughts are with you and your family Dale, anything we can do, say the word.
Best wishes for your surgery too.

Dammit, not liking this thread one bit.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #89
Dances With Roads
mild observations

Oddometer: 4,472
Been thinking about you Dale . There's some hopeful research going foreward that very well may help you in the not so distant future. Stem cells have the capacity to become any kind of cell including nerve cells.

Very promising research in that field that could benefit many people including yourself. I'm sure you will be hearing more about it...

I'll be checking in later.

Reed
Old 03-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #90
Hippiessuck
Banned

Oddometer: 2,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB
After 2 years and 25k miles on my trusty steed karma pulled my number last sunday.

i was slowing to negotiate a left hand turn off of a 2 lane road and was struck from behind by a young teen driver traveing appxox 65mph (in a 45). My speed was approximately 15mph and slowing, hyper lights going.

Long story short, i'm now parapalegic. T12 and L1 were crushed along with the spinal cord in the middle.

I'm heading to surgery today to fuse and reconstruct the physical support mechanism i need to at least be able to sit up in a wheelchair.

I believe in the power of prayer and would considerate it a great honor to be included in any prayers over the next few days.

Cheers,
Dale
Hippiessuck is offline   Reply With Quote