ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 679
Question Stebel Horn

Has anyone on here mounted the Stebel Nautalis horn to their 950? I've got one sitting at home, but there doesn't seem to be enough room behind/next to the headlight to mount it.

The old Charcoal canister location looks like a good candidate but I'm not sure if the noise will rattle the inner fairing too badly.

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
This won't work for everyone but....

I'm just finishing up a HID/fog/Stebel/HighFender project. I bought Touratech's HID/FogLamp kit but modified it so that I could mount the Stebel horn between the HID and Fog lamps. To do that I had to slot out the lamp bracket mounting holes 1/4" on the aluminum sub frame that Touratech provides. This allows the lamps to be a half inch further apart. That then required rebending the outer half of the two lamp mounting brackets so that they do not hit the fairing. But doing so provides enough room between the HID and Fog lamp housings to mount the Stebel Nautilus compact horn. I fashioned a bracket that bolts to the Touratech subframe at the front, and on the KTM lamp subframe on the rear, to which I bolt the Stebel horn. Also had to grind away some of the Touratach-provided aluminum subframe to provide additional clearance for the HID lamp power cable. And then had to toss out the Touratech alumnum shroud bodywork thingy that surrounds the two lamps and bend my own.

But it turned out very nice! I'm hoping to to a quick writeup on the project if I get around to it.
Doug
TymeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Kieth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Stebel air Horn

I have mounted a stebel air horn but had to split the horns away from the compressor due to the size of the compact Stebel. If fits right in under the headlight on my 950 and boy is it loud..................
Kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
xtphreak
from B4 "adventure bikes"

Oddometer: 7,963
so you can disassemble the horns from the compressor and mount separately?

Robert A. Heinlen
Adventure is discomfort recounted at leisure. Flash / GSWayne
Chrome don't get ya home. Rob Nye
Stamp Out Hoplophobia in Our lifetimes.
1999 Tiger 885
1995 XT600E
xtphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
ZenMoto OP
Bikeslut

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TymeRider
This won't work for everyone but....
...SNIP...
But it turned out very nice! I'm hoping to to a quick writeup on the project if I get around to it.
Doug
I'd LOVE to see pics of your setup. I'd also like to know which TT HID setup you have. I have Hella HIDs coming, but haven't figured out how I'll mount them yet.

Thanks!

Save $5 on a photo hosting accout at
https://www.smugmug.com/signup.mg by inserting cupon code R1bXVzHCYtHts
ZenMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
rah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
as i wrote on this forum in september last year:

"But seeing as this thread is about must-haves and the Stiebel horn has been mentioned I should throw in that this is one bit of pimping i have happily put upon my 950. And I confess to pure juvenile delight in waking up cage drivers that have just looked right through me. Somewhere an ADVrider wrote that, evolutionarily speaking, people are more likely to notice you if you threaten their existence: a bit like a large truck would a cage. The Stiebel turns you momentarily into a thundering 18 wheeler!"

i had to fit it really tightly under the front bracket, megaphone pointing down. i might have compromised half an inch of bottoming out travel, not sure it is hard to measure exactly. but i use the horn more often than that end of the suspension.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMoto
I'd LOVE to see pics of your setup. I'd also like to know which TT HID setup you have. I have Hella HIDs coming, but haven't figured out how I'll mount them yet.

Thanks!
Maybe this weekend I can take some pics. I bought the TT HID/Fog kit for the LC8, p/n: 370-0101 It mounts a HID on the leftside and a fog on the right side (when viewed from the drivers seat) Here is a small frontview pic of the Touratech setup from their website:

The TT kit uses the Hella HID and Fog lamps, and the Hella wiring harnesses. The brackets that mount the two lamps are also Hella. I didn't like the TT/Hella wiring harnesses - a)one of the relays was supposed to be mounted down under the battery where it would be exposed to the water and mud, and b) the harnesses for the HID and fog were completely separate. - I'm kinda anal when it comes to my wiring harnesses. I threw out the TT/Hella wiring and made my own harness, combining the HID and Fog into a single harness that made routing much easier. I have all my relays (1 for HID, 1 for fog, 1 for Stebel horn, 1 for my heated vest plug and 1 for my accessory fuseblock in the glovebox) mounted on an aluminum panel I fabricated that fits nicely under the right-side fairing panel. All 5 of the feeder fuses for those relays are in waterproof holders and mounted under the battery on a bracket I fabricated.

The black shroud between the lamps in the above pic (has LC8 machined in it) is the part I also did not use. It needed mods given that I moved the lamps 1/2" further apart, and it interferes with the Stebel horn I mounted in between (the slope is a little too much and it hits the Stebel horn), so I had to fabricate a replacement. The only useful TT component of the kit that you could not buy elswhere is their aluminum subframe that mounts roughly where the KTM screen/grill mounts (but with different mounting holes). That would not have been as easy for me to fabricate so I used TT's kit to provide that.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
bmwkid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.j...5&topnav=EMMBC

Look they have a new smaller version of this horn. I am oredering one right now.
bmwkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwkid

Look they have a new smaller version of this horn. I am oredering one right now.
Please do a follow up on this horn, I am very interested in installing one on my bike.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Stebel on 950

Just ordered the compact horn from Andrew and aside from the descriptions above has anybody mounted one to a 950 and how?

Gregg Wannabe screwed with this post 04-07-2006 at 07:19 PM
Old 04-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #11
craft
Aventurero

Oddometer: 199
Delay?

For you guys with the stiebel, is there much of a delay when you hit the button? I want something louder than stock, but I don't want to sacrifice too much of a delay when I need the horn because of some iron sled coming into my lane. I had an air horn 20 years ago that was loud as hell, but it took a second for the compressor to get churnin' and blast the horn. No doubt there is going to be some delay, but is it significant? Thanks for the input.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft
For you guys with the stiebel, is there much of a delay when you hit the button? I want something louder than stock, but I don't want to sacrifice too much of a delay when I need the horn because of some iron sled coming into my lane. I had an air horn 20 years ago that was loud as hell, but it took a second for the compressor to get churnin' and blast the horn. No doubt there is going to be some delay, but is it significant? Thanks for the input.
There might be a very slight delay, but certainly not 1 second. I find that if I press/release the button as quickly as my mid-age reflexes allow, I get a nice chirp/beep out of the unit. Perfect for those times you want to wave to someone on the side of the road, but not scare the bejesus out of those around you. Keep your finger on the button and you get the full Mack truck effect.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #13
motophil
Paint it black!

Oddometer: 143
Question Relay necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
this is one bit of pimping i have happily put upon my 950.
How's the electrical? Did you just hook it up onto the original wiring or did you install a relay?

- Philip
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #14
TymeRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motophil
How's the electrical? Did you just hook it up onto the original wiring or did you install a relay?

- Philip
You definitely need a relay. Control the relay coil with the original wiring.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 PM   #15
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwkid

Anybody care to share photos of mounting a compact Stebel on a 950?